I live in area where Alltel and Verizon did not merge. Just putting that out there.

Anyways, yesterday a friend on mine upgraded her BB to a Droid. I bought the phone from her and I have the prepaid unlimited min. plan from Alltel I was able to get internet on my phone with little issue using the a different browser.

However, I was wondering is there any way for me to be able to get in and use BBM or will I have to pay to use that. Thanks....
    12-01-10 08:04 PM
    Nope. You will need a BlackBerry Data Plan in order to access BlackBerry Data features.

Note also that Alltel will most likely automatically add a Data Plan for any BlackBerry activated on their network.
    12-01-10 08:06 PM
    They have not yet because I do not use the blackberry browser. I checked into this before I did this and this is what a lot of people do that are on the plan that I am on.

I just will not use the Messenger.
    12-01-10 08:09 PM
    It doesn't matter whether or not you "use the blackberry browser".

Alltel does routine ESN sweeps and knows which devices are smartphones and BlackBerry devices based upon the ESN. Has nothing to do with actually using (or attempting to use) data features on the device. It only has to do with the device being active on their network.

But good luck.
    12-04-10 08:52 PM
    That's the downside to these devices on CDMA carriers in particular, they know what the device is.

Make sure you're budgeting for the BB plan so it doesn't hurt/catch you off guard when it shows up...
    12-04-10 10:52 PM
    AT&T does the same thing.
    12-05-10 07:00 AM