Maybe I should ask this in storm forum as the phone is already out with this feature but...

I carry 2 phones. One for work, and one for personal use.

I understand I can get the gsm unlocked by vzw (read that if you are in good standing, vzw will do this, mostly for people to take phone overseas and get a local sim card).

If I can get the tour unlocked, can I just use a tmo or att pay as you go sim card to use for the tour on off hours during the day. Can you switch which radio is active? So after work hours, I would just switch to using the sim card to make a receive calls.

This would make life a lot easier having just one phone. Thanks.
    06-27-09 02:06 AM
    Maybe I should ask this in storm forum as the phone is already out with this feature but...

I carry 2 phones. One for work, and one for personal use.

I understand I can get the gsm unlocked by vzw (read that if you are in good standing, vzw will do this, mostly for people to take phone overseas and get a local sim card).

If I can get the tour unlocked, can I just use a tmo or att pay as you go sim card to use for the tour on off hours during the day. Can you switch which radio is active? So after work hours, I would just switch to using the sim card to make a receive calls.

This would make life a lot easier having just one phone. Thanks.
    Yes... you can switch which radio you use...
    This would work for you... only bad thing is that only EDGE is supported in the USA on the Tour... not full 3G GSM like if you use the Tour in another country other than the USA...
    06-27-09 02:15 AM
    Thanks. Don't really need fast speed internet at nite. So just ask vzw to unlock phone, and get a sim card from tmo or att, correct?

Also, if i have radio set for vzw during the day, and a call comes into my sim card number, what happens to the call?
    06-27-09 09:36 AM
    Verizon may no be so willing to unlock. Maybe they will maybe won't. You can pay unlocking site to do same if they won't.
    06-27-09 09:39 AM
    You could also just use both phones on Verizon and just switch back and forth. Maybe use the Tour during the work week then switch to the Storm on the weekends.
    06-27-09 04:26 PM
    If a call comes in while the radio is on CDMA, the call will be directed to voicemail, just as if your phone was off.
    06-27-09 04:28 PM
    Does any one know if Sprint will give me an unlock code? I plan on taking a trip out of the country "wink,wink"
    Last edited by crackavelli; 06-29-09 at 12:06 AM.
    06-27-09 07:33 PM
    Does any one know if Sprint will give me an unlock code? I plan on taking a trip out of the contry "wink,wink"

from everything i've read online, sprint's version of the handset will come unlocked already.
    06-27-09 07:47 PM
    Does any one know if Sprint will give me an unlock code? I plan on taking a trip out of the contry "wink,wink"
    My Sprint 8830 was unlocked out of the box.
    06-27-09 08:41 PM
    If your on VZ, have had service for a period of time, they will provide the unlock code for you.
    06-27-09 08:43 PM
    on my 8830 world edition vzw BB, on my Storm (before I returned it), and I blv this will also apply to the Tour, unlocking your phone will not enable you to use GSM networks domestically - only while abroad. I blv these devices are all locked to the Vzw network domestically. does anyone have reason to believe that the Tour will be an exception to this rule? it would be great to be able to go on any network domestically by popping in a SIM chip...
    06-28-09 04:06 PM
    when getting a unlock code from verizon some people have claimed that the esn changer from there my verizon account was disabled...

that part kind of makes me wonder because I will want the ability to switch between the storm and the tour without calling in...
    06-28-09 04:18 PM
    on my 8830 world edition vzw BB, on my Storm (before I returned it), and I blv this will also apply to the Tour, unlocking your phone will not enable you to use GSM networks domestically - only while abroad. I blv these devices are all locked to the Vzw network domestically. does anyone have reason to believe that the Tour will be an exception to this rule? it would be great to be able to go on any network domestically by popping in a SIM chip...

The Tour and Storm both have Quad Band GSM radios... this will work with domestic North American GSM bands... but only on EDGE...
    The 8830 only had a Tri Band radio and so it did not work on the NA GSM...
    06-28-09 04:22 PM
    so which GSM companies in the US use Edge? i.e. which carriers can you get data and voice from with pay as you go cards in the USA if you unlock the Vzw Tour?

thanks.

The Tour and Storm both have Quad Band GSM radios... this will work with domestic North American GSM bands... but only on EDGE...
    The 8830 only had a Tri Band radio and so it did not work on the NA GSM...
    06-28-09 06:58 PM
    I saw a picture on a CB forum "Got my Tour" and some one posted pictures of the Tour with AT&Ton it. Give me a second and I will try and find it again
    06-29-09 12:10 AM
    OK I'm am not that computer savvy so I can't post the link of Salomondrin's Tour running on AT&T. But it is on youtube.com titled BB 9630 "Tour" running on AT&T.
    06-29-09 12:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD