I have a Blackberry Curve 8520. I am on the Rogers network in Canada (GSM), and I was hoping that it would be possible to unlock it to use in the States...Verizon if possible, but other carriers would be okay. I've heard that there's a special way to unlock GSM phones for CDMA use, and that it can be hard to find someone to do it.

Here's the thing that might make this complicated: I want to be able to change back and forth every 6 months or so. I live in one country and go to school in the other. Would that be possible?

Thanks!
    05-04-10 12:07 AM
    A 8520 has no CDMA radio in it, so it won't work on Verizon. Att and Tmobile will work great after you unlock it though.
    05-04-10 12:51 AM
    I have a Blackberry Curve 8520. I am on the Rogers network in Canada (GSM), and I was hoping that it would be possible to unlock it to use in the States...Verizon if possible, but other carriers would be okay. I've heard that there's a special way to unlock GSM phones for CDMA use, and that it can be hard to find someone to do it.

Here's the thing that might make this complicated: I want to be able to change back and forth every 6 months or so. I live in one country and go to school in the other. Would that be possible?

Thanks!
    You could unlock it yes, but as the previous poster above me stated it will only work on a GSM carrier such as AT&T or T-Mobile, sorry.
    05-04-10 09:42 AM
    ===== QUOTE madcat06 ====

Thanks!

===== /QUOTE ====

You could unlock it yes, but as the previous poster above me stated it will only work on a GSM carrier such as AT&T or T-Mobile, sorry.
    No way to use a GSM device on CDMA. But once unlocked you will be able to use it with most GSM providers worldwide.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    05-04-10 02:04 PM
    Well technically it's possible but you have to:
    1. Open up your phone
    2. Purchase chips directly from Qualcomm that will work, or scrap a current CDMA phone
    3. Soldier the new chips onto the phone's motherboard, and reroute ALL of the little wires like the schematics show.
    4. Rewrite ALL of the software so it works on CDMA
    5. put the phone together and boot it up
    6. swear
    7. start from the beginning
    8. put it back together again and pray
    9. repeat steps 6 and 7 until it works
    10. use the phone

see? all it takes is a little elbow grease.
    05-04-10 02:16 PM
    1. Open up your phone
    2. Purchase chips directly from Qualcomm that will work, or scrap a current CDMA phone
    3. Soldier the new chips onto the phone's motherboard, and reroute ALL of the little wires like the schematics show.
    6. swear
    10. use the phone

Cheaper and less effort to buy one that already does.
    05-04-10 02:38 PM
    1. Open up your phone
    6. swear
    10. use the phone

Lmao..thank you for the humor! I love the "swear" & "pray"
    05-04-10 04:28 PM
    1. Open up your phone
    6. swear
    10. use the phone

This is called hardware modification
    05-04-10 06:51 PM
    Great! Thanks everyone I don't think I have enough patience/expertise with electronics to do the hardware modification though. :P

I was thinking of possibly getting a new Blackberry anyways because the one I have now has some water damage. It's usable, but can be irritating...are there any Blackberries that have both? Because as I said, I was hoping to be able to switch back and forth between American and Canadian networks every 6 or so months.

Thanks so much!
    05-05-10 12:24 AM
    Sure there are. I have the Verizon Tour, which once I get it unlocked would do it - and I know that there are several other BBs that Verizon has which can do what you want once unlocked. I think that your best bet would be to get one from Verizon once you get in the states, and then have one of these fine establishments provide the unlock code so that you can use it on your Canadian GSM provider.
    05-05-10 12:13 PM
    That sounds like a good idea. Thanks for your help!
    05-07-10 04:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD