12-12-08 03:40 PM
58 123
tools
    I've posted instructions a couple of times for contacting the executive offices of Verizon Wireless about unlocking the GPS. I sent them another email yesterday asking for a $10/month credit to offset the cost of VZ Navigator (I don't currently subscribe). I received a phone call this morning denying my request, but asking that I address future "escalated" concerns directly to a specific person.

Well, I think a lot of us have an "escalated" concern about the crippled GPS. If each person that wants the GPS unlocked calls this person TODAY I am sure it is going to be a huge step in the right direction.

Strength in numbers. PM me if you want the name/number. Call and politely ask that the GPS be unlocked on your phone. When they deny you, ask for a reason and post it here.

Please cross post this on other Blackberry forums and PM the number to your friends, members of other forums, etc. Let's aim for 300 calls today.
    07-25-08 11:39 AM
    I'd just port my number out of Verizon and go to AT&T.. I will deal with a few dropped calls here and there if it means usable, free GPS..

besides.. GSM 3g is,

1. Faster due to HDSPA..
    2. allows for data AND voice at the same time.

I cant tell you how ANNOYING it is on my Sprint WinMo phone, when I send a sms message, my Microsoft Office Communicator disconnects..
    07-25-08 12:13 PM
    I'd just port my number out of Verizon and go to AT&T.. I will deal with a few dropped calls here and there if it means usable, free GPS..

besides.. GSM 3g is,

1. Faster due to HDSPA..

I cant tell you how ANNOYING it is on my Sprint WinMo phone, when I send a sms message, my Microsoft Office Communicator disconnects..
    Verizon Wireless has the best customer service, I like not having dropped calls, EVDO is more widely available than GSM 3G, I have 3 lines that are locked into Verizon contracts...etc. I can think of a million reasons that I shouldn't switch from VZW, other than the fact that is impossible to use a CDMA device on AT&T. (If you want to dispute the customer service claim, go for it. They routinely void overage fees for me, give me bonus minute credits, and are polite to me when I call. I even got a $50 bonus on my Curve when I bought it just because I asked for it!)

And I can think of 1 big reason that VZW should unlock the GPS: because the customers want it.
    Last edited by MangoGT; 07-25-08 at 12:24 PM.
    07-25-08 12:16 PM

besides.. GSM 3g is,

1. Faster due to HDSPA..

I'm not leaving VZW for GPS lol. I mean I wish it had it for free, but the service and coverage is not worth giving up. Besides, I have factory GPS systems in both my cars LOL. For those that don't just hang in there a while and hopefully some changes with take place. But GPS is not worth switching carriers. If you are going to leav, leave for coverages, prices, devices etc... not GPS lol.
    07-25-08 12:26 PM
    Overall in upstate NY (Lake George Area) Verizon has the best coverage. ATT is better signal a few spots but thats it. Def not worth switching.
    07-25-08 12:30 PM
    Having the gps unlocked would be good but verizon has been so good to me over the years I'm not going to hassle anybody over it. Besides I have a garmin so the gps being locked doesn't matter to me enough to be concerned about it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-08 12:38 PM
    Having the gps unlocked would be good but verizon has been so good to me over the years I'm not going to hassle anybody over it. Besides I have a garmin so the gps being locked doesn't matter to me enough to be concerned about it.

I can understand that. All I'm asking is for you to call their executive offices to let them know that you are interested in having it unlocked. If 300 people call them in a single day, they might realize that we actually want the feature unlocked. Someone just posted in another thread that a Tier 2 tech didn't know that VZ Navigator subscribers couldn't use the internal GPS for 3rd party applications.
    07-25-08 12:41 PM
    Monday bump...
    07-28-08 01:01 PM
    I knew that the gps cost when I bought the phone. I appreciate your desire but it's like moving next to an airport and then trying to shut it down. I Love Letting Others Use My BB When They Do Not Have Enough Bars.
    07-28-08 05:29 PM
    Verizon Wireless has the best customer service, I like not having dropped calls, EVDO is more widely available than GSM 3G, I have 3 lines that are locked into Verizon contracts...etc. I can think of a million reasons that I shouldn't switch from VZW, other than the fact that is impossible to use a CDMA device on AT&T. (If you want to dispute the customer service claim, go for it. They routinely void overage fees for me, give me bonus minute credits, and are polite to me when I call. I even got a $50 bonus on my Curve when I bought it just because I asked for it!)

And I can think of 1 big reason that VZW should unlock the GPS: because the customers want it.
    You know the reason that Verizon has the best domestic customer service, network coverage for voice and data, etc?

It's because they're already giving the customers what they want, and charging just enough for it to make a decent profit. GPS is no different. If you want it (along with all of the other Verizon goodies), you get to pay for it. It helps defray the cost of their network and service staff, and you reap the benefits. If you won't pay for it, well, you don't want it enough

Seriously, I doubt you'd need to take your shoes off to count the number of customers that have bailed on Verizon because they restrict GPS usage to their own software.
    07-28-08 06:29 PM
    I had service with Cingular/ At&t for ten years before I switched to Verizon. I started when they were Bell South Mobility then stayed when they became Cingular and stayed about 2 months after the merge with At&t. I never had a problem with reception or customer service until after the merge. One day out of the blue, my phone (my wife's too) quit working at my house. I literally had a 2 foot square in my backyard that I could make and receive calls from. I called customer "service" over and over about the problem and they would do absolutely nothing. I finally spent about 6 hours on the phone with them one day (inside the 2 foot square) moving SLOWLY up the ladder with my problem. Starting with the person who answered my call (rude as she could be) and then moving to her supervisor, then that person's supervisor, then that person's supervisor, then that person's supervisor and finally that person's supervisor/manager. This person finally told me that they would not do anything for me and that I should just use my phone when I was away from home. Needles to say, I was floored and extremely mad. I tried to explain that this was going to make me switch carriers and that I had had service with them for 10 years and he told me it didn't matter. He also laughed and told me their would be a $400 penalty if I switched out of my contract.

I was in a Verizon store about 15 minutes later switching both my numbers and buying new phones. That was about 4 years ago and I have never been happier. I have not dropped a single call since I have had them and not been able to find a dead spot anywhere. Verizon also has the best customer service of any company I have ever dealt with. They are always nice and willing to bend over backwards to help me. They have also removed overages and given me extra minutes in the past. When I purchased my Curve, they helped me set it up and GAVE me the VZ navigator for free, because I asked. They know how to treat customers and unless something drastically changes, they have my business for life.

BTW Cingular/At&t tried to stick me with a $450 charge for canceling my contract, but my friendly Verizon rep showed me the part in the contract that states it is null and void if I move to an area and can no longer get service, which happens to cover what happened to me. After C/As eighth call they accepted what I was saying and voided my penalty.
    07-28-08 06:33 PM
    Do not forget than VZW does NOT provide the Nav they use a vendor. Quit being cheap and just pay the 10 bucks cuz your certainly never going to get it free unless the vendor provides it for free (which is not going to happen)

I pay for it and love it. Worth all the $9.99 I spend everymonth. Try it for the 3 bucks/day. You will end up getting it.

As a side note I love Verizon best coverage, fast speeds, never a dropped call. Customer for life here.....

Can you here me now?

07-28-08 07:10 PM
    I dont really have a dog in this race as I am not a verizon user however if it were me I would be rather pi$$ed if my provider disabled a feature that comes with the phone only to turn around and charge me to enable it branded under there name. I would think that if all there gps capable phones were using greater data plans due to gps usage it would be more profitable than the few who pay for Nav.
    just my two cents?
    07-28-08 07:33 PM
    Another note . . . if Verizon truly wasn't giving the vast majority of their customers what they want, they wouldn't have made $4.5 billion last quarter. That's up 9.6% from the same quarter last year.

07-29-08 07:46 AM
    Another note . . . if Verizon truly wasn't giving the vast majority of their customers what they want, they wouldn't have made $4.5 billion last quarter. That's up 9.6% from the same quarter last year.
    Look--I have never doubted Verizon's profitability and by all means, I encourage it. I have stated in numerous other posts that the majority of Verizon's customers don't care at all if the GPS is unlocked and the issue is probably rarely discussed in executive meetings. In fact, someone posted here a while ago and noted that they spoke with a Tier 2 technical support rep that didn't know that Verizon locks the internal GPS. The representatives in the Executive Relations office fully believe that the internal GPS is locked for security purposes.

We aren't the majority but we pay more for Blackberry service through Verizon than most other Verizon customers. Calling the Executive Relations people and voicing our interest in having the GPS unlocked does no harm--it is called effective communication.

So who's with me? I have the number for a direct line.
    07-29-08 11:18 AM
    Look--I have never doubted Verizon's profitability and by all means, I encourage it. I have stated in numerous other posts that the majority of Verizon's customers don't care at all if the GPS is unlocked and the issue is probably rarely discussed in executive meetings. In fact, someone posted here a while ago and noted that they spoke with a Tier 2 technical support rep that didn't know that Verizon locks the internal GPS. The representatives in the Executive Relations office fully believe that the internal GPS is locked for security purposes.

We aren't the majority but we pay more for Blackberry service through Verizon than most other Verizon customers. Calling the Executive Relations people and voicing our interest in having the GPS unlocked does no harm--it is called effective communication.

So who's with me? I have the number for a direct line.
    Apparently not many, based on the responses so far.

I'm simply pointing out that your "because the customer wants it" line of reasoning is ludicrous. Retail and Service companies make money because customers want something those companies have and will pay for it. It's obviously not hurting Verizon's business to deny open access to the GPS hardware, so there's no incentive to change. Unless youthreaten to leave Verizon, you've got no leverage.

And unless you're prepared to follow through on that threat, you're simply whining.
    07-29-08 11:47 AM
    I don't mind paying extra for Verizon - their coverage and service are worth it. If I needed turn-by-turn navigation, I'd be happy to pay for VZNav. What bothers me is that Verizon disables the GPS for any function except their VZN.

But my situation is different. I actually use GPS coordinates in my work. I need the coordinates, not navigation. In unlocked Curves, you can read out coordinates from the advanced menu, even in places far removed from cell towers. In the locked Curve, I can ONLY get the coordinates from VZNav, which does NOT work unless there is adequate EVDO signal.

It doesn't work for me, and I won't pay it, but unlocked GPS would be very helpful.
    07-29-08 12:06 PM
    Apparently not many, based on the responses so far.

I'm simply pointing out that your "because the customer wants it" line of reasoning is ludicrous. Retail and Service companies make money because customers want something those companies have and will pay for it. It's obviously not hurting Verizon's business to deny open access to the GPS hardware, so there's no incentive to change. Unless youthreaten to leave Verizon, you've got no leverage.

And unless you're prepared to follow through on that threat, you're simply whining.
    The lazy consumer strikes again.

In the last couple of months: Why did Verizon give me an extra $50 discount on the Curve? Why did Lenovo give me a free (twice as powerful) laptop to replace my 3 year old laptop? Why did Circuit City give me a free $25 gift card? Why did Flat Top Grill give me $30 in gift cards? Why did Hilton give me 2,500 extra HHonors points? Why did Hyatt give me an extra 2,000 Gold Passport points? Why does this stuff happen to me constantly?

Because I ask--nicely. Believe it or not, the people on the other end of the phone are reasonable and willing to listen to proactive consumers. After all, we are helping them to improve.

It's not hurting Verizon to deny open access to the GPS and it will not hurt Verizon to allow open access to the GPS. It's a simple phone call and if you are too complacent to try to create a better consumer-provider relationship then move on--this thread isn't for you.
    07-29-08 12:09 PM
    Yeah, my frustration lies in not being able to use 3rd party apps. I have no use for VZNav, so "just pay the 10 bucks" doesn't apply. It won't do me any good or get me any closer to using the built-in GPS the way I want to use it.

So, for me, it really has nothing to do with the $10. It's not a deal breaker and I'm not leaving Verizon because I can't use the GPS, it is just disappointing.
    07-29-08 12:18 PM
    Hi guys,

I have recently received a BB O2 8800 from Northern Ireland. I m now in Cte d'Ivoire and would like to use it here but it is locked O2. haven't a card to buy the code on the Internet
    Could somebody give me the unlock code.
    My IMEI : 354672017590728
    Carrier : O2
    Local carrier i want to use : Telecel (MTN)

Thanks in advance
    07-29-08 12:26 PM
    Hi guys,

I have recently received a BB O2 8800 from Northern Ireland. I m now in Cte d'Ivoire and would like to use it here but it is locked O2. haven't a card to buy the code on the Internet
    Could somebody give me the unlock code.
    My IMEI : 354672017590728
    Carrier : O2
    Local carrier i want to use : Telecel (MTN)

Thanks in advance
    Wrong section, if you are talking about unlocking the GPS in your phone (judging by the model no. you don't have GPS) then sorry. However if you want to unlock your phone this is the section to go to.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/bla...ructions-1292/

and you're welcome, speaking of welcome.

Welcome to CrackBerry!
    07-29-08 01:18 PM
    Now back to the real reason of this forum. I agree with not leaving VZW because you can't use your GPS for free with a third party. However, I left VZW because I wanted the Curve, which at that time they did not have it yet. And, because they forced me to have a data plan when I did not need it at all at that time either. With AT&T, I don't need a data plan in order to have the phone (needed it to get the rebate though), the only thing good about AT&T, their signal is alot better than anticipated. But that is why I had left VZW, but I may go back some day though, their CS is definetley top class.
    07-29-08 01:42 PM
    Maybe someone should start a petition to make it easier. i'm not that upset about it because i love vz nav.

But i do agree that the gps should be unlocked as vzw doesn't own the phones gps, just their service. Even if the gps were unlocked i'd still pay the 10 a month.

i'm not sure why they lock it. i don't think they'd lose that many vz nav users.

Like i said i'd sign a petition if there was one but i'm not calling to complain to vzw.

07-29-08 01:42 PM
    Maybe someone should start a petition to make it easier. i'm not that upset about it because i love vz nav.

But i do agree that the gps should be unlocked as vzw doesn't own the phones gps, just their service. Even if the gps were unlocked i'd still pay the 10 a month.

i'm not sure why they lock it. i don't think they'd lose that many vz nav users.

Like i said i'd sign a petition if there was one but i'm not calling to complain to vzw.

Online petitions are never very effective because it is nearly impossible to confirm the people that sign it.

A simple phone call directly to Verizon's executive offices gets you in touch with a real person that can note your concern.
    07-29-08 01:51 PM
    I knew that the gps cost when I bought the phone. I appreciate your desire but it's like moving next to an airport and then trying to shut it down. I Love Letting Others Use My BB When They Do Not Have Enough Bars.
    Funny story: Donald Trump did this at his Palm Beach mansion. The airport laughed at him.
    07-29-08 01:58 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD