Is there any way Rogers can know if a device has just been unlocked?

Also - if I'm in a hotspot using wi-fi in Europe to access my gmail etc., with a local pay as you go sim card inserted (or the network part turned off), is there any way Rogers can charge?

Thanks guys...
    08-05-09 08:39 PM
    Rogers can know if your device is unlocked but that isn't an issue in most cases.

As for surfing, etc. with another SIM card, Rogers isn't going to charge you for anything that doesn't involve a Rogers SIM card. Your SIM card represents your account, so if you're not using your Rogers SIM you're not using your account.
    08-05-09 10:17 PM
    Thanks for the reply. Oh I know about the SIM card - that's no problem. The point I was trying to make is regarding using the WI-FI abroad with the network turned off or tuned to another foreign carrier via a pay as you go SIM card (with no data plan). I hope this clarifies my question.

Thanks.
    08-06-09 01:02 AM
    I'm fairly certain that ALL wi-fi is free, in NA anyway. Whoever is paying for the internet conection is already paying for it.
    Not too sure about how they do it in EU though, I'm pretty sure you aresafe, but you might wanna check with the sim provider..
    if you have mobile network OFF, then they don't know, and the wifi is just piggybacking someones net connection...
    cheers
    08-06-09 09:30 AM
    All wifi is free just make sure on your phone, you turn off data services in Mobile Network Options

And as for unlocking your phone... Rogers doesn't care and don't think they can know without you showing them the phone.
    08-06-09 10:29 AM
    Thanks a lot ppl....I rest easier now!
    08-06-09 10:35 AM
    Note if you turn data services to OFF then your wifi connection will not work. Just set your browser to the hotspot browser and you'll be using wifi with no worries.

If you are still concerned about incurring data usage costs then you can either:

A) pull the SIM card or turn off the mobile network

OR

B) edit the permissions of the app you want to use and specify DENY under mobile internet

Enjoy Europe + WiFi + Blacknerry - Roaming Charges

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-09 06:24 PM
    rogers won't know that you unlocked your phone unless you show them that its unlocked. my brother uses his berry on a prepaid rogers sim with data turned off. and i am using an unlocked p1i. rogers wouldn't really care what phone your using cause all data has to go thru their servers so they get their money. And wifi is always gonna be free unless they charge you use it.. but if they do that you probably wouldn't be able to connect to the network. (thats the people paying for the connection)

08-15-09 12:08 PM
    Options>Mobile Network>Data Services Off When Roaming

Did that when I was in the Philippines and was able to use everything without a single roaming charge. Didn't have to take out my sim card or edit app permissions.

08-16-09 07:16 PM
    I don't think it matters if they know or not, they aren't about to terminate your account over it. The only time it is an issue is for warranty claims, they might say you violated the warranty terms if you unlocked it and then refuse to help you.
    08-17-09 03:18 PM
    Is there any way Rogers can know if a device has just been unlocked?

Also - if I'm in a hotspot using wi-fi in Europe to access my gmail etc., with a local pay as you go sim card inserted (or the network part turned off), is there any way Rogers can charge?

Thanks guys...
    i dont think they can charge when you dont have their sim in.
    08-18-09 08:27 PM
    I've never had an issue with anyone not being able to claim their warranty because of their phone being unlocked.
    09-14-09 11:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD