08-16-13 06:32 AM
27 12
tools
    Hi Everyone,

i just got my bold unlocked. How do I know that it was successful? it said the code was successful, but I only have my local SIM card to put back in. Is there a way to tell other than putting a Global SIM in there?
    03-11-09 02:26 PM
    Nope... there's nog other way. You can go to another provider and ask them to put their simcard in your phone to test it. They'll be eager to do so, coz they're hoping to sell you something. So dont feel bothered doing that.
    03-11-09 02:35 PM
    cool... maybe I'll try that... thanks for your help.
    03-11-09 02:40 PM
    Yes there is a way to see if its unlocked... Do this:

1. Options

2. Advanced Options

3. Sim Card

4. Hold Cap locks and type MEPD

Under network, it will say disabled if unlocked or active if locked.
    03-11-09 02:50 PM
    When you go through this sequence, everything should show as disabled. (I copied and pasted from another site)

1. Go to settings menu => and then Options
    2. Select Advanced options => and then Sim card
    3. Type MEPD using your Blackberry keyboard
    03-11-09 02:53 PM
    YOU GUYS ROCK!!!! Next time you guys are up in Canada I'll buy you a beer... aka moonshine...lol
    03-11-09 02:58 PM
    Just got mine unlocked today as well, everything shows disabled : )
    03-11-09 03:00 PM
    how do you check for CDMA version one?

there is no Sim Card option on Advanced Options....

thank you
    05-19-09 12:51 AM
    CDMA phones technically can be unlocked but not in the same sense that people think about GSM and iDEN unlocking. Since CDMA phones do not use a SIM card, they are sort of "hardwired" to the provider that sells them. Therefore, they can only be unlocked by the provider with a special code that they absolutely will not give out over the phone. This contrasts how you might call Cingular and have them give you an unlock code so you can travel overseas and use your GSM phone with a foreign SIM card. GSM phones can usually be unlocked remotely, but CDMA phones require a bit of 'reprogramming' to unlock, and it's not as simple as calling your provider and getting a code over the phone.

Generally, CDMA phones are NOT considered unlockable because it is usually impractical to do so. Sprint, my provider, will not under any circumstances activate a non-Sprint phone, so an unlocked CDMA phone would be useless to you if you use Sprint. Even if you get an unlocked CDMA phone and by some chance are able to have it activated with your provider, many of the features will not work correctly unless someone with quite a bit of technical knowledge reprograms the phone to your provider's specifications.

So, you can see where this is a very confusing subject. Even if you can unlock your CDMA phone, who is going to activate it for you? I suggest you call your CDMA provider, whether it's Sprint, Verizon, or whoever, and ask them if they will activate an unlocked Treo. Don't be surprised if they either act like they don't know what you're talking about, or even laugh at you for asking. You may have to ask for a level-2 tech person before you even get an acknowledgement that CDMA unlocking is possible. Your best chance is with a prepaid service, as they generally do not care where the phone comes from as long as you are buying their minutes, but I would still suggest calling them and asking before you spend the money on a phone.

Quoted from somewhere else

I would say the only way to check that out is from the engineering screen? i dunno =[ I wouldnt even try unlocking cdma phones, too much hassle to get it activated on another provider.
    Last edited by gbsn; 05-19-09 at 04:02 AM.
    05-19-09 03:54 AM
    I just ran the unlock code generator and successfully "unlocked" and was able to access the engineer's screen, yet my Network is still active. Must be more of a temp hack/bypass than a true unlock.
    05-19-09 07:16 AM
    I just ran the unlock code generator and successfully "unlocked" and was able to access the engineer's screen, yet my Network is still active. Must be more of a temp hack/bypass than a true unlock.
    That's just to unlock the engineering menus not actually unlock your device...

Chris
    05-19-09 08:21 AM
    Ah, that makes sense. So much stuff... Lol
    05-19-09 08:56 AM
    Yes there is a way to see if its unlocked... Do this:

1. Options

2. Advanced Options

3. Sim Card

4. Hold Cap locks and type MEPD

Under network, it will say disabled if unlocked or active if locked.

appreciate the help because i had the same question.
    05-19-09 09:04 AM
    you dont have to type them in caps, lowercase works too fyi.
    05-19-09 10:35 AM
    I just got my Bold unlocked. I did the MEPD and saw everything disabled. I pressed the MENU button and saw an option to "Enable Security". Does that lock the phone back? I'm guessing it does. And at that point, I'll have 9 more unlocking events since when I was unlocking my Bold I saw it said 1 of 10 or something like that. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by sammy2368; 05-19-09 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Added
    05-19-09 10:47 AM
    I just got my Bold unlocked. I did the MEPD and saw everything disabled. I pressed the MENU button and saw an option to "Enable Security". Does that lock the phone back? I'm guessing it does. And at that point, I'll have 9 more unlocking events since when I was unlocking my Bold I saw it said 1 of 10 or something like that. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Consider yourself corrected. Different thing entirely. Once you have unlocked from the carrier, it will not relock without really trying. You will not accidentally do it, it's a process.
    05-19-09 10:51 AM
    thanks garz, i didn't know there was a way to check!
    05-19-09 03:16 PM
    Consider yourself corrected. Different thing entirely. Once you have unlocked from the carrier, it will not relock without really trying. You will not accidentally do it, it's a process.
    Thank you!!

So, what does that "Enable Security" do?
    05-19-09 03:36 PM
    Just to correct a minor error made by some longtime members here (ya you wanna go!! ) you don't need to HOLD THE CAPS for mped to work as small letters work as well....
    05-19-09 03:41 PM
    The Enable Security is for key pad lock only.
    So that you won't accidentally make calls, and if your Blackberry got stolen, 10 incorrect password try will error everything in the blackberry, so your personal information will not be seen by un-welcomed eyes.
    02-09-10 12:16 AM
    Always want to make sure you don't have memory loss and forget your Password unless you have no important info
    02-09-10 12:48 PM
    Where can I get the unlock code generator from pleases post a link or send it to my email dibby_d@hotmail.com
    02-11-10 06:00 AM
    Sorry, there's no generator thats readily available to download. You need to pay for it and its not cheap
    02-11-10 06:42 AM
    Oh yeah....we paid top dollars when it first came out
    02-12-10 06:33 PM
    Thank you!!

So, what does that "Enable Security" do?
    Enable Security was the sim card pin
    when you reboot your bb, it will ask for a sim card pin
    if you also enable the phone key lock, you need to unlock it too..
    means you have to type the lock code 2 times...
    04-24-10 12:58 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD