Hi All,

I just got myself a new Blackberry Torch (AT&T) from Best Buy. Since I do not live here, I would like to unlock the phone so I am able to use it back in my home country. I had a couple of questions:

1. Will the 3G work while I am back in Spain? My carrier there is Orange. Even if 3G doesn't work, the internet can work under GSM / WiFi, correct?

2. Can someone help me with all the steps required to unlock the phone. Do I need to have any SIM card inside the phone to unlock it? Does it have to be AT&T? What is exactly the process? I've seen many websites that sell you codes for $5 or so, but not sure what I need to do to actually unlock the phone and have it work in Spain.

Many thanks in advance!
    12-09-10 08:58 PM
    Well I just used freethisberry(dot) com/members.php

I just email my phone type and carrier plus imei number and in 2-3 minute they reply the code and steps to input in your phone and success!

Simple...and I am in Indonesia....
    01-25-11 04:35 PM
    It's very easy to unlock.

Crackberry posted a video a little while back showing the steps: How to Unlock Your BlackBerry 6 Smartphone | CrackBerry.com

You can also take a look through the Unlocking Forum to find some reliable companies: BlackBerry Unlocking - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    01-25-11 04:48 PM
    Well I just used freethisberry(dot) com/members.php

I just email my phone type and carrier plus imei number and in 2-3 minute they reply the code and steps to input in your phone and success!

Simple...and I am in Indonesia....
    Thanks for the feedback rms2006
    01-25-11 09:04 PM
    I paid 99 cents on ebay. Just send IMEI.

To unlock:

OPTIONS > DEVICE > ADVANCED SYSTEM SETTINGS > SIM CARD

Then type:

MEPD

You will see the lock status. Only the second one should be active (Network).

Type:

MEP2

Enter code.

Done.
    01-25-11 09:13 PM
    Does anyone know if there any benefits to getting the phone unlocked just for the heck of it?
    01-25-11 09:17 PM
    To my knowledge the only benefit of unlocking a phone is to be able to use on another carrier, and not the carrier the phone was originally locked too.

I unlocked my Curve to be able to use it in the dominican republic on a trip last year. Before the trip I called ATT and told them I was traveling outside the US and wanted to get the unlock code to use my BB over there. They were cool with it and emailed me the unlock code and steps to unlock it. I followed the steps and within 5 minutes my BB was unlocked. When I got to DR, I just purchased a local SIM card from I think "Orange", popped it in, and I was using it over there with no problems. When I got back to the states I just put back in the ATT sim card, and that was it.

Only thing is that I wasn't able to get my emails and so forth on my BB while over there. Nor did I have internet access. But to just have a phone to use while over there, and not have to pay roaming fees, it was worth it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-11 06:44 AM
    ^^^^^^ And pay 41$ to unlock! what are they on crack ???
    01-30-11 09:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD