Hello. If I own a BlackBerry Storm on a two-year contract, can I unlock it to use it for T-Mobile or does that void the contract? What monthly payments will I have to pay from Verizon if I do successfully activate it for T-Mobile and about how much would the monthly payment be? Would I still have to pay the monthly data charge for Verizon if I am using a T-Mobile SIM? Also, after I unlock it, how do I get service from T-Mobile on the Storm? Sorry if these are stupid questions but I do not know anything about unlocking phones and thanks in advance.
    07-25-09 10:08 PM
    I believe VZW will unlock it as long as you have been a subscriber for 6 months and have not been behind on your bill recently. You can take the phone to T-Mobile but you will still be responsible for your VZW bill through the end of your contact. VZW could care less what phone you use as long as you pay the bill.
    07-25-09 10:21 PM
    Thank you boomhower. I was wondering what monthly bill I would have to pay until the end of the contract? Do I also have to pay the monthly data plan?
    07-25-09 10:35 PM
    Sorry to break the news, but a phone from Verizon or Sprint will never be able to access T-Mobile, ATT, etc. as the cellular frequencies and technology/ format (CDMA vs. GSM) are totally incompatible. Hence the third digit in the BB branding (xx00 = GSM, xx10 = GSM + GPS, xx20 = GSM + WiFi, xx30 = CDMA, etc) The BB Storm 9500 (ie. GSM) is not currently available here in the States whereas the Storm 9530 is. Even if you were to bring in a 'grey market' phone from Europe or Asia, you might never get the full functionality of the phone, as I found out the hard way with a Motorola A780 a few years back (phone was OK, but data was iffy at best!) Good luck!
    07-25-09 10:43 PM
    But the Storm is both GSM and CDMA compatible
    07-25-09 10:56 PM
    You are going to have to pay your full data plan monthly on your contract or pay the ETF.
    07-26-09 06:53 AM
    The phone is locked to Verizon on the CDMA system here in the States. The GSM / SIM are locked to Vodaphone (who, by the way, own a stake in Verizon) for overseas roaming. The way the phone is programmed, it would first access (or try to) the CDMA network (Verizon), and then if/ after that fails, it would then switch over to the GSM network. Therefore, even if you could get the SIM unlocked for ATT/ t-Mob, it would still go to Verizon service first. Since there would be no reason for unlocking for overseas travel, (since Verizon / Vodaphone have close to universal roaming worldwide) I doubt you would be able to get Verizon to unlock the SIM slot, and no way would they need to unlock the CDMA side. I've seen several reviews that have hit that wall,and V wasn't budging!
    07-26-09 10:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD