What is the best way to unlock a blackberry bold from AT&T... I want to use it for tmobile service.... Is there a free way a fast way of doing an unlock
    02-11-09 10:23 PM
    Call ATT if you are currently a customer. If you aren't, I'm afraid you are going to have to pay for the code.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-09 10:46 PM
    Get your Unlock Code from AT&T or purchase it. If you purchase it, you will need your IMEI of the Bold.

The procedure to unlock the Bold is fairly simple.

Go to Manage Connections and uncheck Mobile Network and Wi-Fi
    Go to Settings then select Options and select Advanced Options and scroll down to and select SIM Card
    Type in "MEPD" *NOTE* You will not see the characters being typed on the screen.
    Your Personalization screen will apper and you will see that Network is Active meaning it is locked to the specific carrier
    Type in "MEPalt2" *NOTE* Again, you will not see these characters being typed on the screen
    A box will appear saying "Enter Network MEP Code"
    This is where you will enter the unlock code you obtained and press the scroll ball in
    If successfully inputted, the screen wll say "Code Accepted"
    Network will now be "Disabled" meaning the BlackBerry Bold is unlocked.
    Take out the battery, put in the SIM card for the carrier you would like to use, and place the battery back in after 15 seconds.
    After your phone fully powers up, you want to go to Manage Connections and check Mobile Network
    Last edited by christopherwwoo; 02-11-09 at 11:47 PM.
    02-11-09 11:44 PM
    I called AT&T and got my code within 5 minutes over the phone. Unlocked it and tested with a pre-paid sim card. Work Beautifully! Give 'am a call!
    02-12-09 01:15 AM
    yup AT&T gave my the code in approximately 2 minutes and I follwed the instructions that I posted above and was good to go! w00t
    02-12-09 02:59 AM
    You have to be a current AT&T customer for them to give you the code. I tried and they rejected me. I then paid $20 to get the code. Might as well pay another $20 and have your Bold up and running with T-mobile and enjoy all of its features
    02-12-09 03:00 AM
    This is probably going to sound really stupid, but I just got my bold a little less then a week ago and I'm wondering what the benefit is of having it unlocked to use both AT&T and T-Mobile.

I'm assuming you need to have a plan with both of them?

Any and all details, etc. on this would be neat.

Chris
    02-12-09 05:19 AM
    Chris,
    I do not know what the benefits to using both T-Mobile and AT&T are unless you have one carrier for business, and one carrier for personal.
    Typically the benefits of unlocking a phone would be these:
    1) To use it on a carrier that was not supported (i.e. T-Mobile) because the phone was locked to a specific carrier (i.e. AT&T)
    2) To use it while traveling abroad and putting in a prepaid SIM card and swapping it when at home. (i.e. I travel to Canada and put in a prepaid Rogers SIM card and when I return home to the States, I put in my AT&T SIM card)
    I'm sorry, I don't know if I addressed your question. Hope it helps though
    02-12-09 09:57 AM
    It does help, I now know why someone would do it.

I just didn't know if there would be any benefit to unlocking it when I don't have a T-Mobile SIM card.

Might be neat to just be able to say that I have an unlocked BOLD, lol.

Chris
    02-12-09 02:52 PM
    I unlocked my bold for free and in 10 mins with software found over the internet, just a google search away my friends........
    02-12-09 03:31 PM
    Wait...so a Bold can work with a prepaid TMobile SIM?

If so explain...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-09 04:32 PM
    Chris,
    I do not know what the benefits to using both T-Mobile and AT&T are unless you have one carrier for business, and one carrier for personal.
    Typically the benefits of unlocking a phone would be these:
    1) To use it on a carrier that was not supported (i.e. T-Mobile) because the phone was locked to a specific carrier (i.e. AT&T)
    2) To use it while traveling abroad and putting in a prepaid SIM card and swapping it when at home. (i.e. I travel to Canada and put in a prepaid Rogers SIM card and when I return home to the States, I put in my AT&T SIM card)
    I'm sorry, I don't know if I addressed your question. Hope it helps though
    See ^^

Chris
    02-12-09 04:48 PM
    Omg crackberry users are GREAT! this worked 100% was finished in less than 10 min. Why pay when its FREE! Thanks again all
    02-12-09 05:24 PM
    I tried it, got the unlock code from att, entered it and all good in the neighborhood!
    02-12-09 07:42 PM
    HAHA GREAT! i'm ecstatic that it's working for so many people!
    02-12-09 09:46 PM
    Just did it with my Crackberry BOLD.

The directions were perfect.

Are there features with T-Mo that aren't with AT&T that would make me want to spend the $20 or so for a prepaid SIM?

Chris
    02-12-09 11:07 PM
    The prepaid SIMs do not have data just voice features
    02-14-09 02:09 AM
    I thought as much. I have no use for T-Mo's service and I've loved AT&T since day one. I just did it because I could.

Chris
    02-14-09 02:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD