01-23-08 12:22 PM
27 12
tools
    hi guys,

I bought a blackberry 8800 from cingular. I thought i can unlock it but it turns out that I cant. The guy said the IMEI number is not in the database. I am screwed. I live in Canada, how what am i going to do with this phone? I need to find a way to unlock this? I thought any phone can be unlocked for a price. Please help

thanks
    keyshwan
    oneofakind911@hotmail.com
    09-11-07 12:34 AM
    GSM Source should be able to help...
    09-11-07 03:33 AM
    Every once in a while, there are some phones that can't be unlocked. As Navilyn suggested, try the above link. However, if he also says the phone can't be unlocked, then you'll just have to sell it.
    09-11-07 09:30 AM
    I might be able to help, pm me.
    10-09-07 11:13 PM
    From what I have read it is nearly impossible to unlock the BB, good luck !!
    10-16-07 05:45 PM
    I don't know what you have been reading, but getting the code to unlock a BlackBerry for use on any GSM carrier is not hard at all.
    10-17-07 04:48 PM
    go in ebay.co.uk and put word unlock blackberry 8800 from cingular.Easy and fast to unlock.
    10-17-07 07:17 PM
    I've got the same issue. I have a 8800 that I bought off eBay with the intentions of unlocking it. It's locked to AT&T and I want to use it on the T-Mobile network. I paid the fee to get the code (an eBay dealer) and received an email stating "code could not be located, please check your verify your IMEI and service provider".

My IMEI is the same, whether using *#06# or the label under the battery, and I'm waiting to hear from them again. They guarantee their service and I'm not worried about getting the fee back, I just want the phone unlocked. If they can't figure it out, I'll also check the link that naviwilliams posted.

I will post back if I find a solution and if anyone else has any new information, please let us know.
    12-26-07 07:15 AM
    Just make sure the IMEI number you gave the 'dealer' is the same IN the device as on the BACK of the device...
    12-26-07 07:28 AM
    I purchased a Cingular BB8800 from Ebay a month or two ago. I must have been one of the lucky ones. I paid 19.99 for the unlock code online and was able to unlock it and I am currently using it on T-mobile. Good luck.
    12-26-07 12:12 PM
    After no luck with the other service, I went to gsmphonesource.com (as recommended here), paid the fee and sent them my IMEI. Hopefully they will be able to come up with a code for my Blackberry.

If no code is available, are there businesses that would be able to unlock the phone if I sent it to them, or would it be more financially thoughtful to just sell it and buy another unit?

At any rate, thanks for the advise and I'll keep everyone posted on how this turns out.
    Last edited by finder216; 12-26-07 at 08:27 PM.
    12-26-07 08:04 PM
    I've had AT&T service for several years, but this month transfered my number to T-Mobile (saving approx. $40 total on my monthly bill). As a last resort, I've called them a few minutes ago to see if they would help me out and unlock my phone. They said that they could help me, but the IMEI was not in their data base and normally, they would open a "report" to assist me further, but since I've already notified them of an account cancellation, they would not be able to help me...back to square one.

The first unlocking service confirmed that they also could not help me, but offered to attempt to unlock it through RIM, for an addition $40; they are issuing a refund to me.

I'm still waiting to hear from the second service I've paid.
    Last edited by finder216; 12-27-07 at 04:52 PM.
    12-27-07 04:16 PM
    I'm going through the same trouble with unlocking my excellent, but cheaply purchased from Ebay Cingular/AT&T BB 8800. I wonder if we bought from the same seller's batch.

I spoke to one of the services on Ebay and he mentioned there are two databases available to obtain the codes ( I not totally sure he not pulling my leg). One is the standard/domestic database and then there is the more extensive international database. Of course, I would need to pay him more for access to that database. It would also take more time (one week) to obtain the code. So there is hope.

Also see if you can have a friend who is using AT&T request it for you. Have them call the International Customer Care. They may have the access to the more extensive database. Please let me know if you succeed in getting a code.

I'm beginning to wonder if unlocking a phone is worth the effort.
    12-28-07 01:31 AM
    I'm just waiting on the results from the second service. I've already got my eBay ad prepared and ready to list, as I'm assuming I won't get the unlock code. I'm sure I'll get my money back selling it, but now I'll have to look for another deal...probably just buy a T-Mobile ready Curve this time, so I don't have to "roll-the-dice" with trying to unlock one.
    12-28-07 10:51 AM
    No joy - I've learned that most (if not all) of the unlocking services use the same datebase. I contacted two other services by phone and was told that if the other services told me they could not locate a code, it was probably not entered by the service provider, like it should have been, when it was new and originally added to their inventory. One of them told me that RIM could actually unlock it, but they have a policy not to give codes out to anyone but the service provider.

My 8800 is now for sale on eBay. I'll look for another, but will be buying one that is already unlocked, or locked to T-Mobile.

I would also like to say that all of the unlocking services did refund my payment, so it didn't cost me anything to try.
    12-28-07 11:05 PM
    I just gunlocked one myself, I bought it off of ebay it is a cingular and I am on Tmo. I told them I bought it for my son and that we were Tmo customers and he set me up to where they emailed it to me in three business days worked great.
    01-05-08 10:41 AM
    I just got the Curve I bought on eBay ($210 with shipping). I paid $13.99 for the unlock code, again on eBay, and this time it worked perfectly.
    01-05-08 02:57 PM
    I am also doing unlocking, just by sending in the phone. I use a great way to unlock it. I have unlocked my phone and 5other Blackberrys using my method.. If you are wanting to unlock your phone I will do it for a small charge.. thanks
    01-05-08 04:19 PM
    He Josh,
    Can you unlock them, even if the code is not in the database? How about if someone had "hard-locked" a phone, but entering the wrong code to many times?
    Just trying to keep my options opened - Thanks!
    01-05-08 05:12 PM
    yes i have a very unique method of doing so. do you have an email or something? Usually if you have entered the unlock too many times then its almost impossible but i have a few ways to get aroudn that
    01-07-08 01:37 PM
    yes i have a very unique method of doing so. do you have an email or something? Usually if you have entered the unlock too many times then its almost impossible but i have a few ways to get aroudn that
    ANYONE READING THIS:
    I would ask for physical references from JoshBerryCurve before mailing your BlackBerry to someone here who at this date has 18 posts and a brandnew (Jan 2008) membership at this site, and is claiming to do what only RIM can do for a hard-locked BlackBerry (after entering the unlock code incorrectly 10 times).
    01-07-08 01:44 PM
    Who's to say I dont have a personal friend who works for RIM? Just cause you don't know me don't mean you can make rude assumptions. I have a really good friend who works for RIM in Waterloo Ontario.. Thats my physical reference
    01-07-08 02:10 PM
    lol, I made no rude assumption, I never said you were not trustworthy.

I simply state that one should get a reference--and to take it further, what you just posted as a reference is not a reference, it's a farce.

I would suggest as a reference someone who has used your service who can attest to your reputation and character (i.e., honesty) to perform those services and return it in a timely manner.
    01-07-08 03:40 PM
    Okay so I have someone I unlocked there phone met them randomly thru a friend of mine.. They have email, Feel free email them at "aim.fame@gmail.com" TY
    01-07-08 03:45 PM
    I just Unlocked My 8820 AT&t to work on rogers through imei and it working fine
    01-10-08 04:37 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD