Hello all,

I am trying to unlock my ATT 9700, since I use different networks overseas I wanted to just swap sims instead of having 4 different phones so I have a couple of questions...

Does AT&T give you the "Unlock code" I have heard and read mixed stories, some carriers do give them some carriers don't... and to tell you the truth i'm not sure which one to believe.

Additionally I have seen codes ranging from 1.99 all the way up to 29.99 some "decent" webpages and some others in very fishy web pages so obviously the ID theft and credit card fraud comes into concern in this kind of pages.

Once I get this code, how easy would it be to unlock? (in regards to steps to follow, etc)

Thanks!!
    Last edited by juank126; 02-17-11 at 10:19 PM. Reason: typo
    02-17-11 10:15 PM
    I hope this video will help you out... I would like to type out the steps you should take, but I have to study for physics exam... So I just copied info form there... Check this:

And this website seems to be good: Unlock Blackberry Bold 9700 | Unlock Blackberry Torch | Unlock Blackberry Curve | Blackberry Unlock Code | Unlock Blackberry Phone

1) Power on
    2) Go to Settings
    3) Go to Options
    4) Go to Advanced Options
    5) Go to Sim Card
    6) HOLD ALT and press: mep2 (Please note that you will NOT see what you type on the screen)
    7) It will ask you for the unlock code. Enter it and then press trackball to confirm and your phone is unlocked!

EDIT: Oh... this is how you get IMEI number: type *#06# on your phone like you make a call... it will give you that number.
    Last edited by mss-ca; 02-18-11 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Add more info
    02-18-11 12:36 AM
    Call ATT and they should give unlock code for free provided ur account is in good standing. I have personally unlocked all my phones including BB thru them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-11 04:15 AM
    Call ATT and they should give unlock code for free provided ur account is in good standing. I have personally unlocked all my phones including BB thru them.

I second that. You should have no problem. Just tell them what you told us - you often travel abroad and you have local SIMs that you want to use. Never had an issue receiving the code from AT&T.
    02-18-11 11:38 AM
    Thanks all !

Unfortunately, I have not been able to do it with AT&T they are giving me the hardest time (for the 3rd time this week, different matter) according to AT&T they are unable to unlock this device for exclusivity reasons (ha, ha) like there's no other carrier in this universe with blackberry bolds.

The second time I called they gave me a different reason, they told me that I was under contract and that was why, however once I started explaining to them the reason behind unlocking my phone they kind of started bending the arm, once I requested a manager/supervisor to take care of this I was advised "It's not going to make a difference, they are not able to help you with this" and was on hold for 37 mins until my battery died.

I'm glad soon I'll be done with these despicable people. For now I ordered one code online but it has been about 5 hrs.

Thanks for the replies, I should go now as the Better Business Bureau is requiring a detailed report of my AT&T complain filing.

So long..!
    02-18-11 04:46 PM
    Woah man u americans do get it hard lol over here on the other side of the pond im on o2 like my brother got and iphone 4 so he gave me his blackberry which is still under contract of like 4 months in it and i can get it unlocked for free but apparently it voids warranty so i chose not to get it done
    02-18-11 09:16 PM
    I don't know if I'd buy that excuse of "exclusivity". I was able to get them to provide my unlock code the same day that I bought my 9700 from them. I bought it shortly after it was released and had zero issues getting them to provide the code. This is the 4th BB that I've owned thru AT&T and have been with them for going on 8 years.

Just last week I purchased a Torch for my wife and no sooner than I walked out of the AT&T store, I was on the phone with customer support requesting the unlock code for hers.

I did receive some initial push-back from the service rep, but after being transferred to a supervisor and requesting that he go ahead and view my account history, I told him that I had no problems paying the cancellation fee and jumping ship to the competition should I get anymore push-back with the issue. His response was "No problem sir, we'll sort this out straight away. You will now be transferred back to a service rep who will gladly provide the code for your wife's new device... Thank you again for using AT&T, blah, blah, blah..."

The people at AT&T are monkeys that will do pretty much anything to keep their customers, as long as they are in good standing. Sometimes it just takes a bit of tenacity when you get a less than cooperative rep/supervisor.

If you get a supervisor on the phone that won't budge, get his/her name and ask to be transferred to THEIR supervisor. That usually does the trick. Rarely do they want their boss to be involved with such a trivial matter as issuing a measly unlock code.

Good luck.
    02-18-11 09:34 PM
    Youii could also call ATT and tell them you're traveling overseas and you already have the sim. They could give you the code.

02-20-11 01:57 PM
    i also called att and they gave me the code. however a few months later they said that they changed the rules and due to new "exclusivity rights" they cannot give out codes. it was a real disappointment.
    02-20-11 02:32 PM
    FreeMyBlackBerry.com

they unlocked mine for free in less than 24h
    02-20-11 02:50 PM
    i also called att and they gave me the code. however a few months later they said that they changed the rules and due to new "exclusivity rights" they cannot give out codes. it was a real disappointment.
    Yes they usually give the run around.
    02-20-11 04:24 PM
    I have an old 8310 that I keep for backup. I just received the new battery I bought for it this past Friday (Feb 18th) and while I had it out of the drawer, I decided to go ahead and unlock it. I called AT&T for the unlock code and had it in about 5 minutes. In the past I also called for codes for both my current 9700 and the 8900 I had before the 9700. Not once did they give me any issues or grief. It took less than 5 minutes from the time I gave them the IMEI code until they gave me the unlock code.

I have been with them for about 6 years and have had a perfect payment record. Maybe this has an impact, I don't know. I've always been happy with the customer service I've gotten from them. In fact, when I upgraded from the 8900 to the 9700, I'd only had the 8900 for about 6 months and was well away from being eligible for an upgrade. So what they did was to sell me the 9700 at cost, then give me a $100 rebate and a $250 account credit so that overall I was not out of pocket any $. How can you beat that?
    02-20-11 07:07 PM
    To unlock your blackberry bold model mobile,
    Just visit this site Unlocking4U - Supported Phones
    It has the some better instructions and new methods for unlocking mobile phones.............
    02-21-11 05:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD