So i got my bold about 5 months ago and love it other than the suckish coverage att has in our area. Well now that the whole family is finaly ready to switch to verizon which dominates in our area, I dont want to have to buy another blackberry. So after some research I have gotten mixed answers about unlocking to work with verizon. Is it right that unlocked my phone will work with att, t-mobile, and bell... but not verizon? Because of the difference in gsm and whatever verizon has? And if im wrong will it work flawlessly? I hate to have to ebay it, as it is the best phone I have ever had...
    07-18-10 09:42 PM
    You cannot use any phone from AT&T or T-Mobile on Verizon or Sprint. CDMA carriers (VZW and Sprint) do not use SIM cards. GSM devices (which take SIM cards) are not compatible with CDMA carriers. The only carrier you could use an unlocked AT&T device with is T-Mobile, and even then, you will only get EDGE, since T-Mobile uses different frequency bands for their 3G than AT&T does.

If you wish to switch to VZW, you will need to get a VZW branded device (CDMA carriers only allow devices with their branding to be used on their networks).

So you would need to sell your device if you switch to VZW.
    07-18-10 09:47 PM
    So i got my bold about 5 months ago and love it other than the suckish coverage att has in our area. Well now that the whole family is finaly ready to switch to verizon which dominates in our area, I dont want to have to buy another blackberry. So after some research I have gotten mixed answers about unlocking to work with verizon. Is it right that unlocked my phone will work with att, t-mobile, and bell... but not verizon? Because of the difference in gsm and whatever verizon has? And if im wrong will it work flawlessly? I hate to have to ebay it, as it is the best phone I have ever had...
    Unlocking a device only works on GSM carriers. You WILL NOT be able to use it on Verizon.
    07-19-10 09:28 AM
    So am I going like the bold 9650 that verizon has vs. the 9700 that i have now?
    07-19-10 11:41 AM
    So am I going like the bold 9650 that verizon has vs. the 9700 that i have now?
    The 9650 is pretty much as close as you can get to the 9700.
    07-19-10 09:53 PM
    The 9650 is almost the same as the 9700. It is slightly bigger. It also has twice the memory.

Your only difference is that you will not be able to use voice/data simultaneously unless you use Wi-Fi for the data. That is a limitation of CDMA.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    07-20-10 12:16 AM
    'Suckish' eh? lol I'm adding it to my vocab
    07-20-10 10:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD