I read through all 10 pages of the thread, and a person or two asked this question, but it was never answered.

I use the blackberry enterprise server with my corporate email, and I can only do mods that i am SURE will not mess this up. I would like to unlock all the themes using the .alx method, but am worried about this possibly damaging my BES settings or other settings.

Can anyone verify this worked for them without messing up BES?
    09-05-07 01:28 PM
    Well..

When you do the update you have to reload the software on your device which will probably drop you off your BES.

All you should have to do is contact your BES admin and re-activate.

(Not sure if this is the same for all, but I had to.)
    09-05-07 01:33 PM
    If you have the current software loaded on your BB and also on your Desktop then your good. Also a OS upgrade will NOT drop you off the BES, it will reactivate you after it's done upgrading.
    09-05-07 01:39 PM
    Ok, so I think i will be ok then, cus i have already installed this version OS when I got rid of the ATT PTT feature.

So i think that if i do this, ill be fine.

And the problem with reactivating BES is that it can take some time to get the passcode, and im in IT, so I cant have emails not coming to my BB.

Thanks all.
    09-05-07 01:42 PM
    Just so everyone knows, it DEFINITELY wipes your BES activation. I had to call in to get it taken care of. Luckily it was alot less hassle then I have heard.

Its odd because I even updated to this OS before this with zero issues, but once I unlocked the themes(thus had to reinstall the os) it wiped it all.

Either way, thanks guys, im loving the t-mo theme, now I can have my background images
    09-05-07 03:51 PM
    There seems to be a little confusion here. An OS upgrade WILL ALWAYS drop your BES activation. The BES link is lost during a wipe of the device which happens during an upgrade. IF your Desktop Manager is on your work computer or a on computer that is connected to your corporate email system AND the Desktop Manager is configured for use with that email system then the activation will take place automatically after the OS upgrade is complete.

However, if the Desktop Manager is not setup correctly for BES and with the proper email profile then you will not get an automatic activation. In this case you will need to have IT set an EA password.

Additionally, it is possible to lose the BES link even without doing an upgrade, simply by plugging into Desktop Manager when it's not configured correctly. IF your desktop manager is set up for BIS only then when you connect your BES activated BB you will NOT lose the BES link. If your BES activated BB is connected to DM when it's configured for BES/Redirector but with the wrong email profile, you'll lose the BES link/activation.

So, the bottom line is you either need to setup DM for BIS only (EA will not start automatically after an upgrade using this method, but no risk of losing a BES link just by plugging in) or you need to make sure it's configured properly for BES and appropriate email profile (EA will start automatically after an upgrade and no BES settings will be lost just when plugging in.)

With all that in mind, the method for adding themes by editing the .alx is safe for BES activated BB's. The process itself does NOT affect any BES settings.

Hope this helps...
    09-05-07 07:55 PM
    There seems to be a little confusion here. An OS upgrade WILL ALWAYS drop your BES activation. The BES link is lost during a wipe of the device which happens during an upgrade. IF your Desktop Manager is on your work computer or a on computer that is connected to your corporate email system AND the Desktop Manager is configured for use with that email system then the activation will take place automatically after the OS upgrade is complete.

However, if the Desktop Manager is not setup correctly for BES and with the proper email profile then you will not get an automatic activation. In this case you will need to have IT set an EA password.

Additionally, it is possible to lose the BES link even without doing an upgrade, simply by plugging into Desktop Manager when it's not configured correctly. IF your desktop manager is set up for BIS only then when you connect your BES activated BB you will NOT lose the BES link. If your BES activated BB is connected to DM when it's configured for BES/Redirector but with the wrong email profile, you'll lose the BES link/activation.

So, the bottom line is you either need to setup DM for BIS only (EA will not start automatically after an upgrade using this method, but no risk of losing a BES link just by plugging in) or you need to make sure it's configured properly for BES and appropriate email profile (EA will start automatically after an upgrade and no BES settings will be lost just when plugging in.)

With all that in mind, the method for adding themes by editing the .alx is safe for BES activated BB's. The process itself does NOT affect any BES settings.

Hope this helps...
    I just installed DM with the BIS option only, even though I am on the BES. Hopefully this works.
    06-06-08 06:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD