A little background:
    I had a Storm from March 2009 - November 2009. At that time, where I was living got NO cell service, so I switched to T-Mobile and got the Curve 8900 for the UMA feature (why I didn't get the Bold 9700, I don't know, and I completely regret it). Don't get me wrong, my Curve has served me well, but it's only 2G and that's really not cutting it anymore. Plus after I upgraded to OS 5 it seems to be acting up - the ringer doesn't work sometimes, it drops calls, and sometimes just randomly shuts off.

Basically, it's time for a new BlackBerry.

I really love the features and setup of the Style 9670, but I don't want to switch to Sprint. I've never had an unlocked phone before, so I have a few questions...
    - I'm assuming it would be relatively straightforward to get the unlock code from Sprint and then use my phone on Verizon (rejoin my parents' family plan) since they are both CDMA networks. Is that correct?
    - If I did use it on Verizon, would it be compatible with Verizon's 3G network?
    - Would there be any way I could unlock it for use with T-Mobile? (I really prefer T-Mobile's customer service to Verizon's.)
    - How do service/phone repairs work with an unlocked phone? If I had trouble with my phone, would they work on it at Verizon? At Sprint? Would I just be screwed?

Thanks!
    11-10-10 10:40 AM
    Not "unlockable" sorry, CDMA devices cannot be switched over to different networks.
    11-10-10 10:43 AM
    The 9670 is a CDMA only device, which does not use SIM cards; therefore, it cannot be unlocked.

CDMA only means that you cannot use the device on T-Mobile.

Most CDMA carriers will not allow devices without their branding to be used on their networks even if the firmware is flashed. VZW will not allow any devices without their branding on their network.

The only way to use the 9670 is to switch to Sprint.
    11-10-10 10:45 AM
    Not "unlockable" sorry, CDMA devices cannot be switched over to different networks.
    But there are some phones CDMA phones from Sprint and Verzion that also have a GSM radio built into them. Such as the 8830, 9630, and 9650. But they will be marketed as a World Phone. Since the 9670 isn't a world phone it can't be used on a GSM carrier. Just a clarification
    11-10-10 05:07 PM
    But there are some phones CDMA phones from Sprint and Verzion that also have a GSM radio built into them. Such as the 8830, 9630, and 9650. But they will be marketed as a World Phone. Since the 9670 isn't a world phone it can't be used on a GSM carrier. Just a clarification
    dude, I know, I own a 9650.
    11-10-10 05:53 PM
    I figured as much...just for the OP's sake

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-10 07:59 PM
    Right, I knew it would be a long shot for T-Mobile since that's GSM. Also, from what I've gathered, I don't think this phone has a SIM card slot (correct me if I'm wrong).

What I'm still confused about is why wouldn't it be possible to unlock the phone to use it on Verizon's network? Verizon is also CDMA and has several phones that also don't use SIM cards. I know I must be missing something about what exactly happens in the unlocking process, but I don't know what it is!
    11-10-10 10:25 PM
    A. No the phone doesn't have a SIM card slot

B. Verizon will not activate a Sprint phone on their network and visa versa. Actually I literraly don't think its possible anymore to do that. They way Verizon activates phone is different than Sprints.

11-10-10 11:24 PM
    Right, I knew it would be a long shot for T-Mobile since that's GSM. Also, from what I've gathered, I don't think this phone has a SIM card slot (correct me if I'm wrong).

What I'm still confused about is why wouldn't it be possible to unlock the phone to use it on Verizon's network? Verizon is also CDMA and has several phones that also don't use SIM cards. I know I must be missing something about what exactly happens in the unlocking process, but I don't know what it is!
    Unlocking is only done on GSM (GSM only devices, or the GSM side of dual CDMA/GSM devices). Since there is no SIM card on the 9670, there is nothing to unlock. Unlocking means allowing any GSM carrier's SIM card to be used. Without a SIM card, there is nothing to unlock.

VZW will not allow any device that is not VZW-branded to be used on their network. They have a database that lists all the devices. If you want to use VZW, you must have a VZW-branded device.
    11-10-10 11:50 PM
    <Snip>
    The reason has to do with the differences between how GSM phones are
    identified by the network, and how CDMA phones are identified...

On GSM phones all of the information which is used to identify which carrier's network is your home network is related to the SIM which is being used. In essence, the locked phones have code running in them which checks the sim to see whose sim is installed, and won't allow it to be used if the sim doesn't belong to the carrier who the phone is locked to. When the phone is unlocked, that code is disabled/ignored/removed from/by the phone, and it will work with any carrier's sim.

On CDMA phones, the carrier basically has a database which contains the IMEI numbers of all the phones which were issued for that carrier. If your IMEI number doesn't appear in the carrier's database, then you cannot use that phone as a native device on that carrier. In other words, if your CDMA phone has a IMEI number which is in Sprint's database, you won't be able to get Verizon to activate it on their network since the IMEI number of that phone isn't in Verizon's database. Since the phone wasn't issued to Verizon by the manufacturer, the chance of getting it added to Verizon's database is incredibly slim (read impossible).
    11-12-10 08:51 PM
    I just bought Sprint Blackberry style and my carrier is T-Mobile, and I just realized after boughting it that there is no sim card slot, I thought I could unlock it as all blackberry phones So if I want to sell it where is the best place online I can sell it to? Plz need your help and reply. Thank you.
    03-04-11 08:24 AM
    I've heard the Marketplace section of these forums is a good place to give it a go. Just make sure when you sell it you advise it is a CDMA Sprint phone.
    03-04-11 09:49 AM
    And you won't be able to sell in the Marketplace on CrackBerry until you are an established member.

You might want to sell it on eBay or Craiglist instead.
    03-04-11 11:00 AM
    You know it is not a terrible thing to Switch to Sprint, I did. you get the Phone you want, similar coverage to verizon and best you save a few bucks.
    03-04-11 01:01 PM
    You know it is not a terrible thing to Switch to Sprint, I did. you get the Phone you want, similar coverage to verizon and best you save a few bucks.
    Not so true, I switched to Sprint. Thought I'd save a few bucks, I did but my coverage sucks! Verizon has better coverage in my area. Should've stuck w/ Verizon...

03-26-11 10:58 PM
    Each carrier has it's advantages. Sprint has 4g in some areas but also coverage is hard to find everywhere. verizon has more coverage for 3g but from what i've HEARD and seen personally at&t is faster in the areas they do have 3g coverage. Sprint is cheaper which is nice!
    04-03-11 01:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD