So I know how to unlock a 9550 Storm2, but after that things start to get blurry.

The Storm2 was previously BES connected so I know I'll have to remove the IT Policy to use anything on it. It also used CDMA so there was no SIM card in the 9550 to begin with.

After I unlock and remove the IT policy I plan to use a pre-paid SIM that won't have a data plan. (<= More on this later)

My question relates to these Service Books I've read about. I understand they provide BB functionality such as web browsing, email, MMS, etc.

Some threads I found talk about restoring the Service Books to gain functionality again but when does a BB lose its Service Books? When I put a new SIM card in? When I kill the IT Policy? When I restore the BB OS?

I've made a full backup of the 9550 with the Desktop Software (v6.0.1 B21) and enabled Legacy SB Restore before backing up.

I plan to unlock the phone, remove the IT Policy and restore the OS.

Since I'll be using a pre-paid SIM with no data plan (for ex. BIS) I'm under the impression I won't be able to go into the Host Routing Table menu and "Register Now" since I won't have BIS. Assuming I can't do that there's no way to gain the browser back so I can use the 9550's Wi-Fi right?
    Last edited by kei-kun; 01-03-11 at 11:38 PM.
    01-03-11 11:25 PM
    Only with 3rd party WiFi capable apps; no core add-ons are possible without a blackberry data plan (BES/BIS). You might be able to use Opera Mini or Bolt if you can download the COD and use BBSAK to load them onto the device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-11 12:59 AM
    I have the net_rim_bb_browser_daemon.cod backed up using BBSAK. Would restoring it after I unlock and restore the OS work?

Side note: CODs are the same thing as a Service Book correct?
    01-04-11 06:02 PM
    I have the net_rim_bb_browser_daemon.cod backed up using BBSAK. Would restoring it after I unlock and restore the OS work?

Side note: CODs are the same thing as a Service Book correct?
    To the first part, not sure; never tried it.

To the second part, no - service books on a blackberry are what the registry is in Windows. COD's are the physical files, like program data. Service books tell the phone how to configure certain aspects of the device software, like the browser or WiFi, etc.

01-04-11 06:53 PM
    I suppose the better question is if I load the browser COD will it add the Service Book(s) for it?

When the OS is reloaded does it come with any Service Books by default?
    01-04-11 11:36 PM
    Sideloading the browser won't install service books; there's some that are installed by default but all service books require a BlackBerry data plan to work.

01-04-11 11:46 PM
    Most of the service book required is only attainable from your carrier via BIS/BES. However you must retain a working BIS/BES connection in order for any core applications to work
    01-04-11 11:48 PM
    Ok stumbled across this and thought I'd try it out.

Anyway I'm writing this from my old storm2 with the radio turned of and a clean install of OS .1015 all you have to do is go to Advanced Settings>browser and set the default browser to hotspot

Keep in mind that this is for web browsing only and maybe some independent instant messaging apps that do not require bis registration.

Edit. Oh and obviously have a wifi connection avalible
    Last edited by wh1tey; 01-14-11 at 12:42 PM.
    01-14-11 12:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD