03-14-09 09:37 PM
39 12
tools
    it might have something to do with the apn settings, but I'm not sure for Rogers its internet.com is the apn address. not sure what it is for tmobile, but that could be stopping you from connecting to it
    03-12-09 12:34 PM
    I see mix answers here but here is my answer. When you unlock the 8900 it will not become locked again if you decided to do a hard reset or os upgrade because i have tested it with an at&t sim card after i did the os upgrade to make sure. Also, you will only lose the UMA capabilty if you are using the unlocked 8900 on a carrier that does not support UMA such as AT&T when making phone calls. Although, I am on T-Mobile and I bought my device from T-Mobile and got it unlocked, slipped in my moms AT&T sim card, UMA function doesnt work when making phone calls. And recently I called up T-Mobile to request another unlock code because my previous 8900 that was unlocked by unlock code from t-mobile had problems and when I got my replacement, I told them that I needed to request for another unlock code because my previous device was sent back. So the answer to warranty is that it will not void your warranty if the phone you bought from the company is unlocked...
    03-12-09 12:34 PM
    it might have something to do with the apn settings, but I'm not sure for Rogers its internet.com is the apn address. not sure what it is for tmobile, but that could be stopping you from connecting to it
    see this is what i was looking for real REAL help. Thank you
    03-12-09 12:35 PM
    I don't think APN settings have anything to do with UMA. UMA settings are hard coded into the phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-09 12:57 PM
    ok - so whats the benefit of unlocking your phone
    03-12-09 01:13 PM
    I see mix answers here but here is my answer. When you unlock the 8900 it will not become locked again if you decided to do a hard reset or os upgrade because i have tested it with an at&t sim card after i did the os upgrade to make sure. Also, you will only lose the UMA capabilty if you are using the unlocked 8900 on a carrier that does not support UMA such as AT&T when making phone calls. Although, I am on T-Mobile and I bought my device from T-Mobile and got it unlocked, slipped in my moms AT&T sim card, UMA function doesnt work when making phone calls. And recently I called up T-Mobile to request another unlock code because my previous 8900 that was unlocked by unlock code from t-mobile had problems and when I got my replacement, I told them that I needed to request for another unlock code because my previous device was sent back. So the answer to warranty is that it will not void your warranty if the phone you bought from the company is unlocked...

Thank you.
    03-12-09 01:19 PM
    I just unlocked my 8900 and can confirm that my UMA is gone.

The phone was glitchy for about 1 minute (i would press the red cancel button and my call log would come on the screen).

Then the UMA disappeared and it went to EDGE. Not glitchy anymore but UMA no longer comes up at the top.

Does anyone know how to get UMA back?

I would also like to add that i noticed that my phone now has noticeable static when i talk. I never had any static ever before the unlock??? HELP!
    03-13-09 06:50 PM
    unlocking your phone has no effect on any of this if UMA is not working try a battery pull that should solve it
    03-13-09 06:56 PM
    unlocking your phone has no effect on any of this if UMA is not working try a battery pull that should solve it
    Battery pull did the trick!! Started on EDGE but after a minute or 2, UMA is back at the top of the screen.

So to sum up this thread.... you will lose UMA the moment you unlock your phone but once you do a battery pull, wait a minute and it will come back.
    03-13-09 07:11 PM
    My 8900 is unlocked and I'm on rogers and UMA works fine

Battery pull did the trick!! Started on EDGE but after a minute or 2, UMA is back at the top of the screen.

So to sum up this thread.... you will lose UMA the moment you unlock your phone but once you do a battery pull, wait a minute and it will come back.
    03-14-09 06:59 PM
    My 8900 is unlocked and I'm on rogers and UMA works fine

thanks for confirming...now im just waiting for my unlock code..
    03-14-09 07:09 PM
    Unlocking DOES NOT void warranty... And most definately will not make UMA stop working. The 2 have nothing to do with each other... My Rogers 8900 (unlocked) has no issues with using uma at all...

03-14-09 08:45 PM
    unlocking does not void warranty. carriers provide unlocking codes if they unlock it for you why would they void it?
    03-14-09 09:36 PM
    I have a rogers BB 8900, unlocked, and after a battery pull, works exactly like it did before, UMA and all.

Positives; Good for resale value as you can use with another GSM carrier; useful for international traveling and using local pay as you go sim cards (Although a pain, as I assume that means I need to put back my own sim in to get free wifi email)

Negative: $0 to $20ish to get unlock code, and you will spend too much time looking through forum threads such as this one.
    03-14-09 09:37 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD