03-14-09 08:37 PM
39 12
tools
    I have a 8900 that's locked to rogers, and I'm thinking of locking it. I just want to know the pros and cons of unlockng your phone. Sorry I'm kind of a bb newb lol
    Oh and will I still be able to use UMA?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-09 01:46 AM
    Help?

01-15-09 04:17 AM
    No you will not be able to use your UMA if you unlock you 8900, UMA is network related, when you try to connect it would say "Call failed"
    01-15-09 04:36 AM
    K well I'm under rogers but I bought my 8900 off someone thas locked to rogers.. I'm basically just wantin to ulock my phone for the heck of it lol.. So if I do unlock it will I be able to use UMA?

01-15-09 04:42 AM
    I see nothing wrong with unlocking the 8900 but why unlock it if you don't need to?

01-15-09 04:48 AM
    For when I do travel I can just use an sim card and use my phone there. But I justed wanted to kno if my uma would work. It should, shouldn't it?

01-15-09 04:51 AM
    I'm on exactly sure but i would guess yes.
    01-15-09 06:12 AM
    Your Rogers 8900 will only work with Rogers UMA (though there is some hacking going on now that may allow you to use it on other carriers UMA eventually).

Unlocking it has absolutely nothing to do with that.

Unlocking it will not effect using it on Rogers in any way, you will simply have the option to use it on a different carrier if you choose.
    01-15-09 09:07 AM
    Alright, thanks a lot guys!

01-15-09 11:34 AM
    ok well i unlocked my rogers 8900 while im with rogers.. and it took away UMA??
    01-15-09 01:23 PM
    it was replaced with EDGE??
    01-15-09 01:28 PM
    Then your blackberry is not properly initializing/establishing a connection with your network. I've unlocked my phone when I got it and have had no issues connecting to UMA.
    01-15-09 06:32 PM
    Then your blackberry is not properly initializing/establishing a connection with your network. I've unlocked my phone when I got it and have had no issues connecting to UMA.
    This theory doesnt make much sense, I unlocked my tmo 8900 and the UMA was in fact removed but the wifi signal and router name were still there. So yes I agree it must be carrier specific so if its unlocked the UMA capability is removed.
    03-12-09 07:14 AM
    ok so do we lose uma feature when we unlock our rogers 8900 or not?
    i know unlocking aint supposed to make you lose any feature but people are reporting loosing uma feature when unlocking their device...can someone confirm that?? Don't wanna loose my uma feature because i use it everyday..
    03-12-09 07:55 AM
    Unlocking voids your warranty... and since RIM's warranty is exceptionally good (compared to other phone manufacturers), I'd not risk that...
    03-12-09 08:03 AM
    No unlocking your device will NOT take away UMA I have unlocked all my rogers BB's I still have UMA. Also it does NOT void ur warranty as far as I know.

03-12-09 08:11 AM
    No unlocking your device will NOT take away UMA I have unlocked all my rogers BB's I still have UMA. Also it does NOT void ur warranty as far as I know.

Can anyone else confirm this?

03-12-09 08:41 AM
    i have an unlocked rogers BB and i still have my UMA!
    03-12-09 09:22 AM
    Unlocking voids your warranty... and since RIM's warranty is exceptionally good (compared to other phone manufacturers), I'd not risk that...
    I know that when a Blackberry is unlocked it becomes LOCKED again everytime you do a hard-reset or an OS upgrade, so does RIM know when this is happening?

Also please if anyone knows if you lose UMA capabilties if you unlock a Rodgers or T-Mobile Curve 8900?
    03-12-09 09:41 AM
    I know that when a Blackberry is unlocked it becomes LOCKED again everytime you do a hard-reset or an OS upgrade, so does RIM know when this is happening?

Also please if anyone knows if you lose UMA capabilties if you unlock a Rodgers or T-Mobile Curve 8900?
    Have you read the thread at all? a couple of people have already said that they have a rogers unlocked BB and they still have UMA including me.

As well upgrading an OS does NOT lock you phone!
    03-12-09 09:48 AM
    In your last post you put " I know that a bb become locked again after you do a upgrade" all I was saying is your wrong! So I'm pretty sure my post was help! Also if you start from the begining of the thread you can see there are a couple of people already saying that the UMA works if you have a rogers unlocked phone
    But thanks for coming out! I'm glad you think you know ur phone locks up after an OS upgrade!

03-12-09 10:40 AM
    No need to name call big guy I'm just stating the answers, I'm sorry if you took my comments the wrong way

03-12-09 11:05 AM
    UMA still works on an unlocked Rogers 8900...
    03-12-09 11:12 AM
    man i was right in that you are an a-hole, i read that in a comment in this same site... so why should i believe what your saying as truth? maybe someone else other that this d*uche bag can tell me if the UMA is still in the banner after you ROGERS 8900 is unlocked, i DONT want to talk to you anymore, but please anyone else who can help maybe someone who has a tmo 8900.
    Wow, calm down there buddy...life is too short to get that worked up over something trivial! Its not then end of the world that you may have been wrong.

03-12-09 11:13 AM
    also when i unlocked my 8900 the tmobile name disappeared, i figured it happened since it was unlocked... in those pictures the rogers name is still on your homescreen
    03-12-09 11:28 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD