If I call into tmo and get an unlock code for my 8900 and unlock it, do they charge for this? Beyond that if I unlock my phone are there any features that I loose on my blackberry? I don't want to loose any features if I unlock the phone.

I'm kind of in a specific situation where I just graduated college and got off my parents plan and then realized I gave a ton of resumes out with my old att number on them and couldn't (for weird reasons) have my number ported to t-mobile. I'm specifically waiting on a phone call from a guy that has the number on a real important job. So I have this gophone laying around that I turn on every day to check my voicemail and I'd like to get rid of them and just pop my att sim into the ole 8900 and check my messages and swap back.

After writing all that I believe I'm going to just lay the go phone around . Its a lot of work to take my otterbox off everytime I want to check my messages.
    09-27-09 11:10 PM
    If T-Mobile makes it hard to get unlock code just use service off ebay. I used the following seller and he got the unlock code to me in less than an hour.

eBay Seller: jamiezbestdeal: Everything Else items on eBay.com

The cost was minimal-$3.25 so it did not seem the trouble to do a song and dance with T-Mobile.

Doc
    09-28-09 12:56 AM
    If I call into tmo and get an unlock code for my 8900 and unlock it, do they charge for this? Beyond that if I unlock my phone are there any features that I loose on my blackberry? I don't want to loose any features if I unlock the phone.
    There is absolutely no change to any features on your BlackBerry other than you being able to swap SIM cards in and out of your phone.

T-Mobile doesn't charge for unlock codes but they only give them out to customers with some sort of track record as a customer. You can't open an account on Monday and get a new phone and ask for an unlock code on Tuesday. You indicate some details about your participation as a member of some family plan but you don't provide enough details to ascertain if you qualify for an unlock code. I'd recommend that you simply call T-Mobile and tell them you may be traveling internationally and might need to use foreign carriers while you are overseas and need an unlock code. Either they'll give it to you (via email usually within 48 hours) or they won't. If you don't qualify, you can get an unlock code from a 3rd party provider for a nominal charge.
    09-28-09 01:56 AM
    If you wanted to unlock your phone, let me know. I can get it done within 1-2 hours at most! Costs $10 CDN
    09-28-09 06:50 PM
    You should unlock it anyway. That aside, can you not just forward calls to your new tmo phone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-09 07:15 PM
    Just call 611 tell them you are traveling overseas and they will give it to you no problem. Simple as that. I did it just the other week.

09-28-09 11:12 PM
    Just call 611 tell them you are traveling overseas and they will give it to you no problem. Simple as that. I did it just the other week.

Again, not necessarily. Yes they will immediately send it IF you are a tenured T-Mobile customer. IF you are a new customer without any sort of length of service with T-Mobile, then, no, you will not get an unlock code.
    09-29-09 10:01 PM
    I called mobile and told them I was selling the done and need it unlocked, no questions had the unlocked code emailed to me the nextvday....easy and didn't loose anything

10-02-09 11:11 PM
    ok, so should i unlock my tmo 8900 if im not going to switch or do anything w my phone yet? I love my phone and the service, no problems and over 6 yrs of loyalty. any other benefits to unlocking the phone besides switching service (includes over-seas service)?
    10-03-09 03:26 AM
    ok, so should i unlock my tmo 8900 if im not going to switch or do anything w my phone yet? I love my phone and the service, no problems and over 6 yrs of loyalty. any other benefits to unlocking the phone besides switching service (includes over-seas service)?
    It will increase resale value and your phone is easier to sell than a locked one because they are compatible with more networks
    10-03-09 08:51 AM
    There's very little reason for someone to not unlock their phone unless they're never going to sell it, or never travel, and love their carrier.
    10-03-09 10:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD