Hello,

I've purchased a secondhand verizon 8830 that was supposed to be unlocked. I place my AT&T sim card in the phone to check that it is indeed unlocked. When I did this it said Active under Network so I'm assuming that it is indeed not unlocked as advertised. So I assume I will need to purchase an unlock code?

Second, I am a student who will be studying abroad in Paris. I plan on using a monthly sim pay as you go on the Orange network while there. Will I have any problems with this blackberry on that type of plan?

First blackberry, and disappointed on the false advertisement of unlocked - but that's what you get secondhand.

Thanks in advance
    01-16-10 12:12 AM
    Sorry to hear about your disappointing experience with your first Blackberry.

I'll try to explain your question as best I can.

#1. Regardless if the Verizon 8830 is locked or unlocked, it will never work on AT&T. The Verizon 8830 is a dual-band phone which will only work on most European and Asian GSM networks. It will not work with any of the North American GSM carriers such as AT&T, T-mobile, Rogers and/or Fido.

#2. Since you are studying in Paris (Europe), you should have absolutely no problems after you unlock your phone. If you go to options --> advanced options --> SIM card --> type MEPD, you will see a few different columns come up. If it says "Active" beside Network, then your phone is indeed locked. If that is the case, you will have to purchase an unlock code. If it says "disabled" or "inactive", it is unlocked. You may be missing a step of going to manage connections --> mobile network options --> change your Network Technology to GSM/UMTS (at least for the newer CDMA/GSM Blackberries like the 9530, 9550, 9630).

In the case that you do need an unlock code, feel free to check out our website at Cellfservices - Unlock Code Solutions for your Cell Phone - Unlock Cell Phone . Navigation is pretty simple on our site, but if you need assistance, feel free to give us a call or send us an e-mail.

Hopefully this finds you well in Paris. Must be nice to be traveling!
    01-16-10 06:34 AM
    Hello,

I've purchased a secondhand verizon 8830 that was supposed to be unlocked. I place my AT&T sim card in the phone to check that it is indeed unlocked. When I did this it said Active under Network so I'm assuming that it is indeed not unlocked as advertised. So I assume I will need to purchase an unlock code?

Second, I am a student who will be studying abroad in Paris. I plan on using a monthly sim pay as you go on the Orange network while there. Will I have any problems with this blackberry on that type of plan?

First blackberry, and disappointed on the false advertisement of unlocked - but that's what you get secondhand.

Thanks in advance
    The Blackberry 8830 even unlocked is not compatible with the North American GSM networks. That being said, even if unlocked you will not be able to use it with AT&T/T-Mobile or any other GSM carrier in NA.

The good news is that, once unlocked you will be able to use it in Paris with an Orange SIM card.

Let us know if you need any help unlocking your Blackberry.
    01-16-10 10:21 AM
    I know that ATT doesn't work with it in NA. I just put the sim card in to check if it was unlocked or not, as without a sim card in it all the fields say unkown. Double checked and network is still active with gsm mode.
    01-16-10 11:31 AM
    I know that ATT doesn't work with it in NA. I just put the sim card in to check if it was unlocked or not, as without a sim card in it all the fields say unkown. Double checked and network is still active with gsm mode.
    Yes Active means that the phone is locked. Let us know if you need help unlocking it.
    01-16-10 11:33 AM
    Hello,

Thanks in advance
    Sorry, but its unlocked it will not work with any US GSM carriers because of the frequency bands the device supports. It will work in Paris with a GSM provider there.
    01-16-10 01:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD