Ok, so can someone tell me what unlocking a phone actually does and what are the advantages of doing this?
    Thanks
    12-09-11 07:25 PM
    The advantage is that you would be able to use the device on a different (compatible) carrier than the one to which the phone is branded.

Note that this applies to GSM/HSPA phones.

It does not apply to CDMA phones.

As an example, your profile indicates that you have a 9630 on Verizon. If you were so inclined, you could unlock the GSM side of the phone and use it on TMobile or AT&T in the US or on other GSM carriers in other countries.

Note that you would only get EDGE and not 3G in North America on GSM.

Unlocking would not, however, allow you to use the device on another CMDA carrier such as Sprint.
    mike in nc likes this.
    12-09-11 10:24 PM
    When you buy a Blackberry mobile device you buy it from a mobile service provider.
    The device will be branded and locked to the carrier you got your Blackberry from.

Blackberry which is locked to a carrier comes with a secured setting that can be unlocked using a unique unlock code.

Without the unlocking the phone is locked by a SIM lock to the branding carrier and can't be used with other carrier.

After using the unlock code and unlocking your blackberry you will have a SIM free Blackberry device which is no longer locked to any carrier (the sim lock is disabled by the unlock code) and then the device can be used with any other mobile carrier operator that operates over the GSM network.

without unlocking you can't use sim cards from other carrier because the sim lock will not allow signal and connection. you will get SOS screen.

the benefits are, well - first of all there is no need to unlock it each time, once a blackberry phone is unlocked it's unlocked for ever (even if wiped) and you can swap unlimited sim cards and carrier.

This is good you you wont to use other carrier without buying a new device / keeping your old device.. or if you want to use a few lines / carrier... you can use prepaid sim cards as well..

If you want to sell your Blackberry it will be a lot more easy to sell unlocked blackberry phone because you will reach a lot more clients, any one that uses a gsm sim card can use unlocked blackberry and anyone can get a cheap GSM sim card anywhere.

and it's also very good solution for traveling if you want to save some money by using your unlocked blackberry with pre-paid / contract local sim cards.

mike in nc likes this.
    12-10-11 09:59 AM
    Thank you both for the informative answers. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my post.
    12-10-11 08:31 PM
    Note that what it doesn't do is allow the device to have any additional features. Doesn't allow you to use apps that you wouldn't previously be able to use. Doesn't allow you to get apps for free. Doesn't allow you to use data features without an appropriate data plan.

You didn't ask those questions, but many people are under the belief that "unlocking" the device allows some or all of those things to happen.

If you are on a CDMA carrier and are always going to be on a CDMA carrier, then unlocking is of no use to you except perhaps if you want to sell a device which is a "world phone"
    12-10-11 09:53 PM
    Note that what it doesn't do is allow the device to have any additional features. Doesn't allow you to use apps that you wouldn't previously be able to use. Doesn't allow you to get apps for free. Doesn't allow you to use data features without an appropriate data plan.

You didn't ask those questions, but many people are under the belief that "unlocking" the device allows some or all of those things to happen.

If you are on a CDMA carrier and are always going to be on a CDMA carrier, then unlocking is of no use to you except perhaps if you want to sell a device which is a "world phone"
    yes, I must confess that I thought perhaps unlocking would allow you to use apps that you would not previously be able to use. Thanks again for the information.
    12-11-11 02:16 PM
    i think SwitchBeach has put it very well.
    Other than that if you need any unlocking done contact us
    12-11-11 02:56 PM
    12-11-11 08:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD