So when this phone comes out locked to AT&T I can get an unlock code and use it anywhere with any GSM carrier i want right?
    06-08-10 03:18 PM
    That's how unlocking works
    06-08-10 03:21 PM
    and it will have full 3G and all capabilities right? somewhere i read i couldn't use an unlocked at&t phone with tmo and get 3g. i thought that was incorrect but i don't know alot about cell networks and phones so....
    06-08-10 03:24 PM
    and it will have full 3G and all capabilities right? somewhere i read i couldn't use an unlocked at&t phone with tmo and get 3g. i thought that was incorrect but i don't know alot about cell networks and phones so....
    AT&T and T-Mobile use different 3G frequency bands. You will not get 3G on T-Mobile with an AT&T device.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    06-08-10 03:29 PM
    and why is that? the phone can receive and transmit any frequency the carriers worldwide use. so how is it possible that tmobile and att don't work?
    Last edited by dfairlite; 06-08-10 at 03:53 PM.
    06-08-10 03:33 PM
    here's my understanding AT&T, operates at 850 and 1900MHz while tmobile uses 1700 and 2100. the chip in the storm uses 850/900/1800/1900, through further research the 1800 band is from 1710-1800MHz.
    06-08-10 03:59 PM
    and why is that? the phone can receive and transmit any frequency the carriers worldwide use. so how is it possible that tmobile and att don't work?
    AT&T and T-Mobile use different 3G frequency bands. You will not get 3G on T-Mobile with an AT&T device.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

No they can't do "any frequency" but as was mentioned the 3G bands are different. The only way to get 3G on an unlocked Att phone running on a different network is by using Rogers or going over seas. No way around it, this has been discussed countless times here. I know you might think that what you've read is "incorrect" but that would make you wrong.
    06-08-10 04:04 PM
    here's my understanding AT&T, operates at 850 and 1900MHz while tmobile uses 1700 and 2100. the chip in the storm uses 850/900/1800/1900, through further research the 1800 band is from 1710-1800MHz.
    That's not entirely correct. AT&T, T-Mobile and the rest of the US cell phone carriers have common frequencies (850 and 1900 band). Recently, the US issued licenses for additional bands and that's where some carriers have exclusive use of frequences.

Bottom line...moving a phone from AT&T to TMobile or vice versa will have not have access to all frequences. You may or may not loose 3G depending on which frequency the carrier is using for the 3G signal.
    06-08-10 05:27 PM
    No they can't do "any frequency" but as was mentioned the 3G bands are different. The only way to get 3G on an unlocked Att phone running on a different network is by using Rogers or going over seas. No way around it, this has been discussed countless times here. I know you might think that what you've read is "incorrect" but that would make you wrong.
    So if I understand this correctly then that means RIM makes two versions of the phones with different hardware? Wow, if I was rim I'd save myself the trouble.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-10 06:52 AM
    So if I understand this correctly then that means RIM makes two versions of the phones with different hardware? Wow, if I was rim I'd save myself the trouble.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    it's necessary because including the second antenna and hardware for the unsed band would just add to costs (doubling the costs of antennas) and have zero function since they are designed to remain on the network they are purchased through.
    06-09-10 11:34 PM
    So when this phone comes out locked to AT&T I can get an unlock code and use it anywhere with any GSM carrier i want right?
    That is correct.
    06-11-10 10:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD