what does unlocking a phone do? i always thought that it allowed u to use another carriers device on ur carrier. like unlocking the BB Bold to use on T-mobile. but i also heard that u cant have a data plan if ur phones unlocked and ur using it on a different carrier than its original. can someone please clarify??
    04-18-09 09:15 PM
    If your GSM phone is unlocked you can use any SIM on the appropriate carrier. You will get the service you pay for.

This means you could go to a different carrier for your main (home) service and setup your account with full phone and BIS provided the carrier supports Blackberry. If you take the phone overseas you could use a temporary local SIM (usually prepay), but getting BB data support on prepay is difficult or impossible in most cases. The carriers don't like providing BB data for short term customers, and overseas visitors have no local record and are are unlikely to pass credit checks required for post-pay accounts with BB data access. I think this should explain your confusion.
    04-19-09 07:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD