alright, so Telus has FINALLY started to provide sim cards to support unlocked devices.

I am trying to get a used storm2 off ebay, but they are all verizon phones which have been unlocked.

what I am wondering is if anyone can tell me whether or not it will work on the Telus network (using the *new* Telus sim card system).

I cant find any used telus storm2 phones, hence why iam looking on ebay, plus iam not going to make the same mistake i made with my storm1 and pay full price for it.
    12-17-09 11:33 AM
    Well i have one on AT&T working just fine. I'm not sure if Telus works on GSM or some other network.

If so then yes it should work just fine as long as its unlocked.

Hope this helps!
    12-17-09 12:40 PM
    If you are using a S1 on telus then that would tell me you should be just fine running a S2
    12-17-09 12:41 PM
    the storm 2 runs on cdma, not hspa, in north america. a verizon storm 2 won't work on telus.
    12-17-09 12:42 PM
    Telus is not GSM, as far as i know. They were CDMA (no sim cards) however just recently they started to provide sim cards, that will work on certain unlocked devices.
    12-17-09 12:44 PM
    the storm 2 runs on cdma, not hspa, in north america. a verizon storm 2 won't work on telus.
    even if the verizon storm2 is unlocked? and has a sim card slot that the new telus sim cards can go in?
    12-17-09 12:46 PM
    Nope. Won't work. The storm2 doesn't have the bands to work on telus' new network. And of course telus won't activate a non-telus cdma device. So don't waste your money on it through eBay.
    12-17-09 12:52 PM
    even if the verizon storm2 is unlocked? and has a sim card slot that the new telus sim cards can go in?
    as far as i know, the following is true:

1. telus 9550's use CDMA, not HSPA
    2. telus will not allow non-telus CDMA phones on their network
    3. telus does not support 2G frequencies (GSM)

so yeah, even if it's unlocked, and even if you put a sim in it, i don't think it will work.
    12-17-09 12:53 PM
    How much do you honestly save by buying a used Storm2 that's been unlocked, as opposed to buying the Storm2 from Telus and being able to exchange it if you run into any issues? Either way, the new "GSM" network is only for phones that have the compatible UMTS frequencies: something the Storm2 doesn't have for North America. Basically, in terms of GSM networks, the Storm2 will only work on edge, which means only Rogers and Fido for us.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-09 01:21 PM
    GSM is not just 2G frequencies... GSM has 3G as well. Looka t AT&T and T-Mobile... They both use a GSM network, and they support 3G.

I would talk to a telus rep and ask them to be sure. I think they are the only ones that will really know for sure about this unless someone else here has done it..
    12-17-09 01:37 PM
    GSM is not just 2G frequencies... GSM has 3G as well. Looka t AT&T and T-Mobile... They both use a GSM network, and they support 3G.

I would talk to a telus rep and ask them to be sure. I think they are the only ones that will really know for sure about this unless someone else here has done it..
    Yes, but Telus has no 2G edge network, and its 3G network is not compatible with the Storm2.

12-17-09 01:47 PM
    How much do you honestly save by buying a used Storm2 that's been unlocked, as opposed to buying the Storm2 from Telus and being able to exchange it if you run into any issues? Either way, the new "GSM" network is only for phones that have the compatible UMTS frequencies: something the Storm2 doesn't have for North America. Basically, in terms of GSM networks, the Storm2 will only work on edge, which means only Rogers and Fido for us.

$400 savings almost.

iam buying the storm2 to hold me down for a few months, until HTC HD2 or Dell Streak come to north america, then good bye blackberry....
    12-17-09 04:17 PM
    $400 in savings, huh? Because the Storm2 full retail from Telus is $600. You must be finding some suspiciously cheap bargains at $200... Either way, you're pretty much SOL in terms of using an unlocked Storm2 on Telus.

12-17-09 09:13 PM

Actually, HSPA (ATT and T-Mobile's 3G network) isn't GSM, it's W-CDMA. That's why phones like the iPhone can do simultaneous voice and data, because the voice call is using the GSM radio and the data is using the HSPA radio. However if you're not in a 3G serviced area, you cannot support the voice and data at
    the same time.

Universal Mobile Telecommunications System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    12-17-09 09:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD