There are a few places in my area that aren't covered by Verizon but are by AT&T. I don't go there often, but need service when I do and I assume by switching my wireless network from 1XEV to GSM I could have the best of both worlds. So I unlocked my Tour and bought an AT&T GoPhone. I activated the GoPhone card in the cheap-o phone it came with then put it in my Tour. Now when I turn my Tour on, my wireless radio is off and won't turn on for CDMA or GSM.

Did I miss a step or is what I'm trying to do even possible???
    07-16-09 11:19 AM
    There are a few places in my area that aren't covered by Verizon but are by AT&T. I don't go there often, but need service when I do and I assume by switching my wireless network from 1XEV to GSM I could have the best of both worlds. So I unlocked my Tour and bought an AT&T GoPhone. I activated the GoPhone card in the cheap-o phone it came with then put it in my Tour. Now when I turn my Tour on, my wireless radio is off and won't turn on for CDMA or GSM.

In the manage connections screen did you check mobile network on? And did you manually select GSM network 2G?

It worked on my Storm.. I have the same setup going, just lose data when using the prepaid SIM.
    07-16-09 12:13 PM
    Yes, I've tried that and under "Manage Connections" when I click the box next to "Mobile Network" it will not turn on in GSM or 1XEV. Does the VZ Tour even support North American GSM?
    07-16-09 01:42 PM
    Should work...wonder if there is an issue with your SIM Card reader on the phone..
    07-16-09 01:45 PM
    Hope you get it to work... would be nice to be able to be able to switch to a GSM number on the fly like that, even if it's just for voice.

Anyone else actually get this to work?
    07-16-09 01:50 PM
    According to BB.com it supports all the same 2G GSM networks as my Bold and Curve, just not 3G.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-09 02:23 PM
    Go to manage connections>Mobile Network Options> Network Technology > GSM/UMTS instead of Global or 1EXV(Use this setting for your CDMA carrier)
    07-16-09 02:28 PM
    So for the Verizon Tour you have to unlock it in order to use US GSM carriers like AT&T and T-mobile. However, the Sprint Tour is suppose to come with the SIM device unlocked...so do you even need to do anything to get a AT&T card to work?
    I am curious to know if this works with Sprint phones. My daugther has Tmobile, we took out our sim cards and they didn't look alike. The chips were same size but the copper pieces looked very different. We didn't try to see if it worked. Niether one of us was willing to try it. Hopefully someone who has a Sprint phone that has done it will post some info soon.
    07-16-09 02:42 PM

i did the same thing, unlock, then $30 go phone... the radio is down when it reboots, no matter what combination of cdma/gsm you do it does not want to come back up, if i go to sim settings in options it says invalid sim, only way to get it to work again is putting the verizon sim back in which it reads fine, anyone have any ideas?
    07-20-09 07:14 PM
    Has anyone found any more on this yet? I am having the same problem. Radio won't turn on with the GoPhone SIM in there.
    07-25-09 10:37 PM
    Sounds like it is something Verizon is blocking.

07-25-09 10:49 PM
    I unlocked my Verizon tour yesterday, and picked up a go phone SIM card from att today. (You don't have to buy a go phone, just tell them you need a SIM phone for a phone you don't have with you. Cost me $5). It works great! Handy if you want to have two different area codes or phone #s on one device. Voice and text work fine, but no data. Which is ok, since AT&T's 3G coverage is a joke. All I had to do was take out the Verizon / Vodaphone sim card, and pop in the AT&T card. That's it. Besides switching between. "GSM" and "1xEV" in the connection menu. It switches your phone number automatically for you.
    11-29-09 10:06 PM
    I unlocked my Verizon tour yesterday, and picked up a go phone SIM card from att today. (You don't have to buy a go phone, just tell them you need a SIM phone for a phone you don't have with you. Cost me $5). It works great! Handy if you want to have two different area codes or phone #s on one device. Voice and text work fine, but no data. Which is ok, since AT&T's 3G coverage is a joke. All I had to do was take out the Verizon / Vodaphone sim card, and pop in the AT&T card. That's it. Besides switching between. "GSM" and "1xEV" in the connection menu. It switches your phone number automatically for you.
    This is true. I have an unlocked Sprint Tour with a AT&T gophone sim. I just switch from 1XEV to GSM and 2G and voila, it works.
    11-30-09 12:34 PM
    How do you activate your new SIM? Did they give you an activation code with the SIM?
    11-30-09 01:00 PM
    I went to the AT&T store and they took care of it all for me. I left with a working sim ready to use.
    11-30-09 01:08 PM

Yesterday I removed my sim card (vzw) and popped in my chicks att sim card. Once my phone came on I called her other att phone and her caller id showed my vzw number. Is that how its supposed to work? My tour is unlocked also
    11-30-09 01:38 PM
    Yesterday I removed my sim card (vzw) and popped in my chicks att sim card. Once my phone came on I called her other att phone and her caller id showed my vzw number. Is that how its supposed to work? My tour is unlocked also
    Options -- mobile network -- select gsm instead of cdma/global.

11-30-09 01:49 PM
    Options -- mobile network -- select gsm instead of cdma/global.

Ok That I did not do. My new question is, when I called her and it showed my number, where does it obtain the number it will put on others caller display?
    11-30-09 05:01 PM
    I don't think I really had to activate anything... I went into an AT&T store and told them I needed to pick up a SIM card for an old phone I had. For an emergency backup. I told them that I didnt have the phone with me, but that it was an old att phone. They sold me the SIM card for $5 and activated the SIM card with the serial # (and IMEI#) from an old nokia they had in the back. When I left, I just took out the Verizon/Vodaphone SIM and popped in the AT&T SIM, and Voila. I switched the phone (my Tour) to go to GSM mode, and it automatically picked up the AT&T towers. Thats all I did. With the AT&T SIM, I can only pick up AT&T towers, it doesnt show me Tmobile or Centennial (regional GSM provider) towers. And I can of course switch back to Verizon at any time by telling the phone to back to 1xEV. I have also tried a friends SIM from his AT&T blackberry and dont see any difference between pay as you go SIM and regular SIM...
    12-05-09 07:50 PM
    My next plan of action is to figure out how to get the AT&T service books so I can use data when I am on the edge network... I just have to find the correct post. If someone sees the post, and can link it for me, that would be awesome.
    12-05-09 07:52 PM
    My next plan of action is to figure out how to get the AT&T service books so I can use data when I am on the edge network... I just have to find the correct post. If someone sees the post, and can link it for me, that would be awesome.
    two caveats:

1) I don't think you can add BlackBerry service to a prepaid SIM. I don't know of any major US carrier that does this.

2) Your PIN can only be tied to one carrier/BIS account at a time

You may be able to get a workaround for some basic web browsing, 3rd party apps, etc if you configure the APN settings correctly, but you won't have any of your native BB services (push email, BBM, etc)
    12-05-09 11:13 PM
    Thanks for the info... I am just messing around with it anyways... So it's not really a big deal if its not possible. It makes sense that your PIN can only be associated with one account though...
    12-09-09 02:09 PM
    two caveats:

1) I don't think you can add BlackBerry service to a prepaid SIM. I don't know of any major US carrier that does this.
    Doesn't MetroPCS have blackberry data? Then again I don't know if you would consider them a "major US carrier" LOL
    12-14-09 01:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD