03-02-10 01:27 PM
32 12
tools
    I've noticed that there are a few threads out there about this issue, but none of them really had any kind of answer I was looking for. I'm a newly converted (had an iPhone, novelty wore off, so I got the BB 8900). This is a T-Mobile branded and unlocked device. Of course, I have AT&T. I can make calls and text all day long, but when I try and get the data plan by calling AT&T, they tell me that they can't add the IMEI to the system due to it being a T-Mobile branded device. I know that this can't possibly be the case. I am at a loss here ladies and gents. Can someone savvy in the ways of teaching the noobs (namely me) how to get this issue resovled? I would be much appreciative. I can try and answer all pertinent questions to the best of my ability.
    03-02-10 08:38 AM
    I would Private Msg a Moderator and ask them to move this to the ASK ATT REPS forum.....but yea that should be totally wrong because thats what an unlocked phone is for.....did you call again?
    03-02-10 08:41 AM
    I called them twice yesterday, and they were giving me the run around hardcore, a bit unnerving to say the least. I bought the phone and the guy said that it was unlocked, maybe I should verify that it is, but I am unsure how to do so. Like I said, I am a newbie here to the BB scene.
    Last edited by IrishUSMC_FF; 03-02-10 at 08:45 AM. Reason: additional info
    03-02-10 08:44 AM
    I called them twice yesterday, and they were giving me the run around hardcore, a bit unnerving to say the least. I bought the phone and the guy said that it was unlocked, maybe I should verify that it is, but I am unsure how to do so. Like I said, I am a newbie here to the BB scene.
    To check to see if its Unlocked go to menu-options-advanced options-SIM card

and if its unlocked it will say SIM Card: Security Disabled
    03-02-10 08:50 AM
    Ok, I just checked and yes, it is unlocked. So, in theory, I should be able to get the Data Plan and what not added to my line for the BB so that I can access pretty much everything that makes a BB worth having, like BBM, the browser, 3G network, etc.?
    03-02-10 08:55 AM
    Ok, I just checked and yes, it is unlocked. So, in theory, I should be able to get the Data Plan and what not added to my line for the BB so that I can access pretty much everything that makes a BB worth having, like BBM, the browser, 3G network, etc.?
    You will not be able to access 3G because its not a feature the 8900 supports....sorry about that.....and even so Tmobiles 3G freq and ATT 3G freq are in compatible and will not work with one another so a tmo 3g wont get 3g on ATT and vice versa, you will get EDGE

But you will be able to get data, bbm and everything else a Blackberry can do once they get you on the data plan
    03-02-10 08:58 AM
    Ahhh, well that's just as well, at least I will be able to access the rest of the features. I just need AT&T to work with me and not against me on this issue....seems to be a point of friction at this point.
    03-02-10 09:03 AM
    Ahhh, well that's just as well, at least I will be able to access the rest of the features. I just need AT&T to work with me and not against me on this issue....seems to be a point of friction at this point.
    Just tell them you have a Blackberry and you will like to add a data plan when they ask for the IMEI dont say its tmo branded just say you have the 8900 and give them the IMEI.

Or have you done it like that already? I wouldnt say that it has anything to do with TMO at all, or once they have the IMEI are they saying they are unable to use that IMEI?

Did you buy the phone of EBAY or Craigslist?
    03-02-10 09:07 AM
    When I called them yesterday, I told them that I had a BB and wanted to add the Data Plan to it, and when I gave them the IMEI, they said they were having issues getting that IMEI added to the system. Happened on two occasions yesterday. I did purchase it off of Craiglist, and when I met the guy (college kid actually) he all the box and all accessories, and I know he had been using it, because all of the texts that I had sent him were still in the phone.
    03-02-10 09:10 AM
    When I called them yesterday, I told them that I had a BB and wanted to add the Data Plan to it, and when I gave them the IMEI, they said they were having issues getting that IMEI added to the system. Happened on two occasions yesterday. I did purchase it off of Craiglist, and when I met the guy (college kid actually) he all the box and all accessories, and I know he had been using it, because all of the texts that I had sent him were still in the phone.
    Im hoping for the best for you, but it could be that the phone has been reported lost or Stolen and that is giving you the issue, but I could be wrong....I would call tmobile customer care and ask them to check if the IMEI has been reported lost or Stolen.....i hope this isnt the case but very likely
    03-02-10 09:12 AM
    Well if this does turn out to be the case, I know some college kid that won't exactly be too happy with me....
    03-02-10 09:17 AM
    Well if this does turn out to be the case, I know some college kid that won't exactly be too happy with me....
    I would only imagine... Please report back once you find out if thats the issue...or not I will try to point you in a better direction
    03-02-10 09:22 AM
    try logging into the at&t BIS site yourself and add the IMEI and PIN. or call the seller and have him verify the IMEI/PIN has been disassociated with his account. this is most likely the case. they would need to ensure that t-mobile released the PIN and IMEI off his account in order to work on yours. RIM only allows one PIN at a time registered to only one account. if it still reflects as being on his, you wont be able to add it to yours. its a simple fix that takes a phone call to the seller to straighten out.
    03-02-10 09:29 AM
    OK, so I just got off the phone with T-Mobile, and after running the IMEI by them, they say that the IMEI is not in their system as lost or stolen, and is not active on any account.
    03-02-10 09:33 AM
    OK, so I just got off the phone with T-Mobile, and after running the IMEI by them, they say that the IMEI is not in their system as lost or stolen, and is not active on any account.

Ok so now weve ruled that out, then the problem is with ATT reps and/or system.

Did they add the Blackberry Data Plan Already to your account?
    03-02-10 09:37 AM
    No they haven't. Now I went to the AT&T BIS site (had to google it, had no clue what it was) went to create an account there, and it says that my device hasn't been registered with my service provider. Could this be because AT&T hasn't added it?
    03-02-10 09:41 AM
    No they haven't. Now I went to the AT&T BIS site (had to google it, had no clue what it was) went to create an account there, and it says that my device hasn't been registered with my service provider. Could this be because AT&T hasn't added it?
    Yea its not in att system....This is a bit ODD

this really shouldnt be such an issue
    03-02-10 09:43 AM
    I'm guessing that my next course of action would be to call AT&T again and try to get them to add the device to my account by using the IMEI once again?
    03-02-10 09:45 AM
    I'm guessing that my next course of action would be to call AT&T again and try to get them to add the device to my account by using the IMEI once again?
    Doesnt Hurt to try again, and if they give you trouble ask for the next level up in support because as you verified all the info is legit and the IMEI isnt associated with any accounts so there should be ZERO errors
    03-02-10 09:47 AM
    ok, will do, thanks for all your help so far, will keep you guys posted on the outcome of this.
    03-02-10 09:48 AM
    On the phone with AT&T right now......I'm all about the play by play updates.....habit of being in the Marines....
    03-02-10 10:04 AM
    On the phone with AT&T right now......I'm all about the play by play updates.....habit of being in the Marines....
    Lol best way to do things.

maybe this time is the charm
    03-02-10 10:33 AM
    Ok well here I am on my BB browser, posting to crackberry.....I'd say that the problem is now sorted out and working just fine. Thanks for all the help guys!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-10 11:13 AM
    Ok well here I am on my BB browser, posting to crackberry.....I'd say that the problem is now sorted out and working just fine. Thanks for all the help guys!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    What happened, did you speak to a higher upper.....Congrats!

Finally Welcome to CB....PIN IS 312FE8AD anytime you need help
    03-02-10 11:18 AM
    I had this same problem with AT&T. So I just told them that it was a temporary fix, That my friend is letting me use his unlocked phone until I can afford to buy a new AT&T phone.. And they magically figured out how to add the BBD plan after telling them that.. go figure.
    03-02-10 11:26 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD