I unlocked (flashed) my BB 8830 World Edition originally with telus few days ago. The phone is unlocked now for sure, but couldnt use with fido/rogers sim card. the sim cards that i used to test the phone work fine with other phones. i tried playing with the mobile network option, no luck as well.

can anyone help please?
    01-07-10 11:49 AM
    ok if im correct the BB 8830 World Edition only has GSM frequencies for europe/asia, which can't be used in North America, where Im assuming you are in canada.
    01-07-10 12:05 PM
    ok this is how the BB 8830 World Edition works, when you're in North America it uses the CDMA portion when your overseas it uses the GSM portion which is the EUROPE/ASIA GSM Frequencies.
    01-07-10 12:08 PM
    ohh is it really?? gay...= =

is it just the BB 8830 are like that? because I might have to get another BB then... I need to know if other BBs are like that as well. =] thnx for your info
    01-07-10 12:12 PM
    the 8830 for sure... the storm maybe... not sure..

the tour, is not like that.. he's good even with rogers/fido
    01-07-10 12:42 PM
    I unlocked (flashed) my BB 8830 World Edition originally with telus few days ago. The phone is unlocked now for sure, but couldnt use with fido/rogers sim card. the sim cards that i used to test the phone work fine with other phones. i tried playing with the mobile network option, no luck as well.

can anyone help please?
    Flashing and Unlocking are two different things all together.

Flashing will allow you to use with a cdma carrier you flash it to and dependent on whether or not they will activate it on their network.

Unlokcing the device will allow you to use with a gsm carrier of your choice, but 8830we's only work with european gsm carriers.
    01-07-10 01:48 PM

can anyone help please?
    The 8830 even once unlocked will only work overseas.
    01-07-10 03:09 PM
    ohh is it really?? gay...= =

is it just the BB 8830 are like that? because I might have to get another BB then... I need to know if other BBs are like that as well. =] thnx for your info
    Just 8830 does not work for GSM frequency bands in North America. Tour or Storm is ok , they are quadband phone
    01-07-10 03:57 PM
    i think i used MML to get the phone unlocked. It was once all wiped..i reloaded the Telus OS after. If I reload normal OS thats not from any carrier, would it work with Fido/Rogers?

and I called one of the unlockers, they told me that the 8830 can be unlocked and work with Fido/Rogers...why do i get different answers?? im so confused...HELP PLZZZ!!! T-T
    01-08-10 09:37 AM
    The GSM band of the 8830 is: Dual-band 900/1800 Mhz GSM/GPRS networks

The GSM band of Fido is 850/1900/2100

so.. it's 100% sure it wont work.

Loading another OS wont do anything. The band are hardware and not software.
    01-08-10 09:44 AM
    i think i used MML to get the phone unlocked. It was once all wiped..i reloaded the Telus OS after. If I reload normal OS thats not from any carrier, would it work with Fido/Rogers?

and I called one of the unlockers, they told me that the 8830 can be unlocked and work with Fido/Rogers...why do i get different answers?? im so confused...HELP PLZZZ!!! T-T
    RIM make 8830 only takes 2 frequencies. This set up is hardware related, I don't think using software can change the specs on the phone. Reload OS will not make 8830 to work with Roger or Fido....
    01-08-10 09:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD