So I have successfully unlocked my 9000 bold (thanks cellunlock) and have a few questions / concerns..

I am taking a two week trip to the US in a few days and was thinking about taking my newly unlocked bb with me and purchasing a pre-paid tmobile plan. This will be the first time doing this and am anticipating that it won't be as easy as "plug and go"..

1.) In order for my bb to fully function while in the states with the tmobile SIM will I need to wipe my bb?
    2.) I have smrtguard installed, will this cause any issues?
    4.) Will I have access to what is currently on my bb (contacts, email, etc) or will i have to re-set this all up?
    5.) After my trip when I return to Korea, will I be able to simply re-plug my korean sim-card into my bb and resume full functionality as though I never left?

I always seem to have problems with this stuff, want to make sure if it is really worth it to stick in a new sim for my trip or just make it easier (and a lot more expensive) and just stick with the roaming option...

help / feedback would be greatly appreciated...
    03-20-10 09:58 AM
    1.) In order for my bb to fully function while in the states with the tmobile SIM will I need to wipe my bb?
    An explicit Wipe should not be necessary. However you might need to remove your PIN and IMEI from your SK phone provider's BIS before you can setup in the T-Mobile BIS. A phone can't be assigned to two providers at the same time, and I don't know if T-Mobile will let youi keep your SK service books and routing. Unfortunately this means the Service Books for your emails and other data will probably be cleared from your phone and everything will disappear. I recommend you use Desktop Manager to make a full Backup before you start the process.

There's another problem - it is difficult for *you* to remove the PIN and IMEI in the BIS configuration. Most times either (a) you have to substitute a different BlackBerry if you have one, -or- (b) your phone service provider has to clear it for you - which they won't like doing because it is extra work and they lose profit while you are roaming.

2.) I have smrtguard installed, will this cause any issues?
    This should not be a problem. I believe Smrtguard uses the phone's PIN to identify it, so the change of SIM should not matter. This might be another path to backup and restore your data.

4.) Will I have access to what is currently on my bb (contacts, email, etc) or will i have to re-set this all up?
    See (2). It is likely your current data will be deleted from your phone. However, you could restore it from a backup made before you disconnect from the SK provider.

5.) After my trip when I return to Korea, will I be able to simply re-plug my korean sim-card into my bb and resume full functionality as though I never left?
    It is likely you will have to go through the same process to have your phone dropped from the T-Mobile/US service and reconnect to your original SK service. Once again, you may need to backup and restore any PIM data you need to keep.

On balance it sounds like a lot of effort. For my international trips I just use roaming data and voice (but the cost doesn't worry me on a business phone).

One possible half-way solution if you have access to WiFi would be to remain activated on your regular SK service, and switch off data on the cellular link. Use the hotel (or other hotspot) WiFi to collect and answer your messages. However this doesn't get you cheap voice calls so you might need to use a local prepay SIM for voice only. The data by Wifi should still work providing you have some kind of valid SIM installed to activate the phone.

The other option is to use your Bold for roaming data only (not voice) and pick up a cheap prepay SIM and phone for voice calls. Most times when I travel I do most communication by email. However the major cost is a few voice calls, and my email and other business data is a small proportion of the total charges. (This can still be expensive if you use streaming data services, many email attachments, or web browsing by phone).

Also be aware your 9000 is NOT compatible with the T-Mobile's 3G frequencies, and will only function at EDGE or GPRS speeds. This will not be an issue if you roam data on your SK provider because you will probably be able to connect to the AT&T network at better speed. (Check your provider's roaming agreements to be sure).
    03-20-10 10:48 AM
    wow. thank you x10000. you just saved me from many headaches and probably shaved off hours and stress i would've went through in LA. Looks like i'll roam. VERY much appreciate your time and thought in putting together your response!
    03-20-10 11:00 AM
    Within BIS you can enter a zero for the PIN to disassociate the BIS account from your Blackberry

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-10 01:39 PM
    Within BIS you can enter a zero for the PIN to disassociate the BIS account from your Blackberry

Useful. Thanks.
    03-20-10 07:20 PM
    If you simply get a prepaid sim with data included you should be able to just plug it into your phone and everything should work fine (your SK BIS will deliver your email to your phone since your phone registers with RIM when you turn it on. This has worked fine for me traveling in Europe with an unlocked phone.

03-20-10 07:25 PM
    wow. thank you x10000. you just saved me from many headaches and probably shaved off hours and stress i would've went through in LA. Looks like i'll roam. VERY much appreciate your time and thought in putting together your response!
    Update: I just found this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/f150/av...rvices-420924/ so it appears I may be wrong. You *might* be able to switch SIM and have it work. However, you're a long way from home so make your plans to cover both options. I suggest you check with your SK provider and make sure your account has the best available rate for roaming if you need it.

One other item I forgot to mention. My travel kit now includes an "Apple Airport Express" mini WiFi adaptor for use in hotels and offices which have open (free) wired intenet but no WiFi (or billable). I simply connect it to the wired service and power up to provide my own WiFi access point in my hotel room, my Bold connects within seconds. It is worth considering if you think you will travel often.
    03-20-10 07:31 PM

Thanks for sharing this info.
    03-21-10 12:14 AM

Learn something new everyday! Didn't know that

Doesn't it ask for the IMEI as well? Or would you leave that with the existing numbers?
    03-24-10 09:53 PM
    Will be trying it this week.
    03-24-10 11:29 PM
    Hi guys,

I'm from Toronto (Rogers BIS customer).

-I am currently in Moscow, Russia.

-I have an unlocked 9000.

-Currently installed SIM is a local voice plan sim (phone has full "GSM" connection with "MTS-RUS", and text and voice functions work)

-I am in friend's appartment, connected to his WiFi network, but icon is GREY.

-NOTE: Under "Mobile Network Options," I have disabled "Data Services" because I am using a friend's spare local SIM, and he doesn't have DATA on the account, which will be VERY expensive if the phone gets data on local cell network

-I thought that, with this configuration, I should be able to still access RIM services through WIFI. Is there a way to make this work?

Thank you for your help!!!!!!!! Cheers!

-Ian
    03-28-10 05:51 PM
    Hi guys,

I'm from Toronto (Rogers BIS customer).

-I am currently in Moscow, Russia.

-I have an unlocked 9000.

-Currently installed SIM is a local voice plan sim (phone has full "GSM" connection with "MTS-RUS", and text and voice functions work)

-I am in friend's appartment, connected to his WiFi network, but icon is GREY.

-NOTE: Under "Mobile Network Options," I have disabled "Data Services" because I am using a friend's spare local SIM, and he doesn't have DATA on the account, which will be VERY expensive if the phone gets data on local cell network

-I thought that, with this configuration, I should be able to still access RIM services through WIFI. Is there a way to make this work?

Thank you for your help!!!!!!!! Cheers!

-Ian
    Even though you will not be using the providers Data Services, your SIM still needs to be provisioned with Blackberry Data in order to be able use the Blackberry Services through Wi-Fi.
    03-28-10 05:55 PM
    Thank you for the reply. If what you say is true (I have no reason to believe otherwise), then this is a rather poorly designed system. I would have loved to have my local SIM installed and still be able to get BB services over WIFI...

FYI, my BB data services do not work with my rogers SIM inserted. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

04-04-10 07:37 AM
    Thank you for the reply. If what you say is true (I have no reason to believe otherwise), then this is a rather poorly designed system. I would have loved to have my local SIM installed and still be able to get BB services over WIFI...

FYI, my BB data services do not work with my rogers SIM inserted. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

It's not poorly designed. It's designed in lieu of people avoiding to pay for a data plan.
    04-04-10 10:17 AM

Thanks!

Do you have Blackberry Data with your Rogers SIM?
    04-04-10 11:18 AM
    Yes, I have a 1 GB fully functioning BIS plan with Rogers. I just happen to be in Russia for 1 month, and I made NO CHANGES to my Toronto Rogers BIS plan before I left (so I'm still an active BB account, and paying for it).

FYI, I get no BB data over WIFI with my ROGERS SIM inserted (which I understand SHOULD work, as it is provisioned for BB Data, as I am current BIS customer)... OR the local SIM (which I understand shouldn't work)...

Thanks for any and all help!

(--> and as a customer who HAPPILY PAYS $$$ for data, I still think this is a poorly designed system by not allowing me to have a local SIM installed for VOICE purposes, and use WIFI for regular BB service. Perhaps, RIM should have had another SIM slot on this phone? (if they are unable to keep track of which phone PIN has valid DATA plan without the provisioned SIM being inserted).)
    Last edited by 8ball-mb; 04-05-10 at 05:37 PM.
    04-05-10 05:34 PM
    Yes, I have a 1 GB fully functioning BIS plan with Rogers. I just happen to be in Russia for 1 month, and I made NO CHANGES to my Toronto Rogers BIS plan before I left (so I'm still an active BB account, and paying for it).

FYI, I get no BB data over WIFI with my ROGERS SIM inserted (which I understand SHOULD work, as it is provisioned for BB Data, as I am current BIS customer)... OR the local SIM (which I understand shouldn't work)...

Thanks for any and all help!

(--> and as a customer who HAPPILY PAYS $$$ for data, I still think this is a poorly designed system by not allowing me to have a local SIM installed for VOICE purposes, and use WIFI for regular BB service. Perhaps, RIM should have had another SIM slot on this phone? (if they are unable to keep track of which phone PIN has valid DATA plan without the provisioned SIM being inserted).)
    I am only thinking out loud here so don't take this as 100% accurate. It seems to me with your Rogers card in you would have to turn on data while roaming, I would also turn of the wireless antenna to prevent actual roaming and direct data to wifi. Can anyone add input?
    04-08-10 09:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD