10-06-11 10:11 AM
26 12
tools
    Hey,

there have been threads mentioning korea but non since the Bold was release in Korea.

My brother is moving to korea.. and since the BOLD is now in korea with 3G on SK Telecom, will unlocking the Bold here and bringing it there make it usable?

i doubt RIM changed specs on it ie HSDPA 850 etc etc for the 3G..

Korea is majority CDMA but i believe they've been incorporating GSM phones and i doubt again that RIM made a CDMA bold
    07-07-09 11:32 AM
    Does the Bold support the GSM band used over there?
    07-07-09 11:50 AM
    i've been trying to find out what the GSM band is in korea, but my korean isn;t that great.. haha.. but i am assuming it does since RIM wouldn;t change all that much to the BOLD to support another band..
    07-07-09 11:54 AM
    Then I think you have your answer
    07-07-09 12:04 PM
    I believe that it uses pretty much exclusively 3G band (HSDPA) for BBs since Korean doesn't have GSM network.

But it should work since when I brought my old SonyEricsson phone to Korea last year, it had stable connection on 3G network in Seoul.
    07-07-09 12:57 PM
    I'm pretty sure you have to buy one there. I checked a web page used by people living and working in Korea, and they talked about it.
    09-20-09 01:09 AM
    im trying to find the answer to this as well. i live in korea and bought a blackberry bold from sk. it cost me a fortune.

my girlfriend is looking to get one too but is unwilling to pay the crazy price for one here, so im looking at just getting an unlocked one off ebay.

the only thing is that korean mobile telecom companies have an IMEI whitelist...so they can control which phones get access to their network.

the korean bold is also a little strange. i cannot even find the IMEI on this thing. i've tried every little trick possible. i cant even find it on the back of the phone!
    09-20-09 05:04 AM
    Try pressing alt-shift-H at the same time to find theIMEI.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-09 05:30 AM
    ^ no dice
    09-25-09 06:22 AM
    The carriers in Korea are pretty tight about not losing revenue. No IMEI under the battery and *#06# turns up a message saying it's not supported haha. However, alt-shift-h at the same time worked for me. It pulls up a bunch of info regarding your phone, including the IMEI code. Since this doesn't work for you, you might have to try some sort of soft method...
    11-16-09 12:50 PM
    Options then status doesn't display this info?
    11-16-09 12:51 PM
    I've found that unlocked Bolds do work in Korea. However, the emails are not configurable. You can make and receive calls. I just bought an $800 Bold here when I paid $75 back in the States. Then I tried unlocking the Korean one with a code but failed. Luckily, I got someone in Vietnam to unlock it manually. Dude, so wish Korea would show up in Google Maps.
    02-07-10 10:34 AM
    I've found that unlocked Bolds do work in Korea. However, the emails are not configurable. You can make and receive calls. I just bought an $800 Bold here when I paid $75 back in the States. Then I tried unlocking the Korean one with a code but failed. Luckily, I got someone in Vietnam to unlock it manually. Dude, so wish Korea would show up in Google Maps.

With your code that you failed to unlock your korean bold with, what service did you use? Do you know if SK Telecom will unlock for you? I tried calling them earlier to see if they would do this for me but the rep had no idea how to answer me..
    03-04-10 11:36 AM
    We can unlock it for you.

03-04-10 11:45 AM
    We can unlock it for you.

Should I BBM you? What is the best way to contact you?

Frustrated. Just spent an hour on the phone with the SK Telecom "Blackberry Experts" who have absolutely no clue. They tell me not that they will not unlock my phone, but that it is just not possible. By casually viewing this forum my "expertise" DWARFS these guys. I ended up telling them how a couple of things work (all which i learned from this site) .. Who to blame, they are still new to the whole smartphone concept.. <end vent>
    03-05-10 02:13 AM
    You can pm us
    03-05-10 04:51 PM
    korea telecom carriers use a "white list" of IMEIs in order for a phone to work.
    i have an unlocked bold from att that doesn't work in korea but works everywhere else i've used it (canada, US, HK, singapore, malaysia)
    but korea does not work.

some things that i did find out that does make it work but are not recommended..

1. try to find out the IMEI # of a 3g phone issued from a korea telecom
    2. change your current bold IMEI to the IMEI of the 3g korean issued phone (doesn't have to be blackberry, just any 3g phone)
    3. once you put in sim card that is the same carrier as the original 3g phone from korea, the phone will work

it will receive calls, send calls and all of that stuff
    all of this was confirmed cuz i got it work
    but one thing i could not get to work is

SMS msgs
    i can send texts in korea but i cannot read korean texts
    even though i have all the language packs installed for some reason, if someone sends me a text in korea it doesn't work at all and comes out all funky with a bunch of letters mixed with caps and letters with circles on top of it, etc.

tried tinkering with the SMS settings under the options
    compared settings with the SMS settings of my friends that use a SK issued blackberry in korea and nothing is different.

i gave up and got an iphone
    but using my bb here in singapore right now
    hope this helps.

(in the end), dont' bother bringing an unlocked bold from another country and using it here in korea, it won't work since the IMEI isn't on the white list
    and even if you did hack it and change the IMEI text msgs wont' receive properly in the korean language
    bb storm2 likes this.
    03-07-10 05:36 AM
    With your code that you failed to unlock your korean bold with, what service did you use? Do you know if SK Telecom will unlock for you? I tried calling them earlier to see if they would do this for me but the rep had no idea how to answer me..
    We can help you unlock it and get you the code within a couple of minutes.
    03-08-10 09:49 AM
    Hi.
    useful info.. thx.
    Would like to know if your unlocked korean bb.. is working in korea fine and plus when you are overseas you just change the chip and use it there ??
    03-14-10 08:45 PM
    Hi.
    useful info.. thx.
    Would like to know if your unlocked korean bb.. is working in korea fine and plus when you are overseas you just change the chip and use it there ??
    Yes it should, that's the beauty of having an unlocked phone
    03-14-10 10:11 PM
    Okay guys. Here is your answer.

You cant use your unlocked phone in Korea. If your Blackberry is unlocked it still will NOT work on South Koreas SK Telecom network. They have a block on all phones that are not South Korea.

This means... You need to buy a blackeberry in South Korea directly from SK Telecom.

Sad to say.. but its the ONLY way. I still use mine but im Roaming.. and SK simcards will be rejected in your unlocked Blackberry...

Its just Koreas way
    12-12-10 06:21 AM
    Okay guys. Here is your answer.

You cant use your unlocked phone in Korea. If your Blackberry is unlocked it still will NOT work on South Koreas SK Telecom network. They have a block on all phones that are not South Korea.

This means... You need to buy a blackeberry in South Korea directly from SK Telecom.

Sad to say.. but its the ONLY way. I still use mine but im Roaming.. and SK simcards will be rejected in your unlocked Blackberry...

Its just Koreas way
    What a bummer
    12-12-10 12:30 PM
    Does SK Telecom phone from Korea work here in U.S. AT&T?
    10-03-11 03:29 PM
    It will work on 2G on at&t but 3G on Tmobile as they run on 2100 3G
    10-03-11 03:58 PM
    Does SK Telecom phone from Korea work here in U.S. AT&T?
    When you unlock a Blackberry it's basically removing the SIM lock security. if a carrier is using a block on the network (validation of IMEI after the connection is made with the network) the unlocked device actually connecting to the carrier with the SIM cards but gets blocked same as black listed IMEI devices.

On most countries carriers just can't do that...
    So yes, unlocked Blackberry from any other carrier is still unlocked by SIM lock removing using a MEP unlocking code, once it's unlocked it will stay unlocked and will work with (almost) any GSM carrier... countries like USA, Canada and most of the European countries are included... now days it's very rare for a carrier to set a thing such as this.

The device still will be unlocked for any GSM carrier. same as the devices that won't work on SK Telecom's network, still will be unlocked and will work with any carrier, isn't there more GSM carrier there is South Korea?
    10-03-11 06:40 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD