Hi. My wife recently got a blackberry from her brother as a present. We live in africa. The phone is a Torch (9850). This is our first experience with a BB ever so forgive me for my noobishness. The phone works for calls and sms's, but data does not. It is a sprint phone so it is originally from the US. We are using a local sim. I went to get a BB plan but it doesn't work.

One thing to note is when I go to the dialpad, it shows the american number on top even though I am using an african sim. I can call it, and it can call me with the african sim so I dont know if that means anything.

According to this, I am already unlocked
    Code:
    How do I know if my Blackberry is Unlocked?

You can insert a SIM card in your phone and then go to Options/Advanced Options/SIM card and type the letters "mepd" (without the quotes)

If Network says Disabled or Inactive, that means your Blackberry is already unlocked.

If Network says Enabled or Active, that means your phone is locked.

If Network says Blocked, that means the only way to unlock your phone would be for us or any equipped shop to physically have your phone.

If all say Disabled but Service Provider says Active, that means you need the SP Unlock Code to unlock your Blackberry.
    So if the phone works and data does not, does it mean my data needs unblocking or something. I am at a loss. Any help would be really helpful. Whats my problem exactly?
    01-01-12 12:12 PM
    BlackBerry devices work differently from other devices.

They require a BlackBerry specific data plan from your service provider. Does your service provide support BlackBerry Data (BIS)?

And data functions also require the correct Service Books. Usually, these are pushed to the device from the carrier once you have the proper service plan. However, since the device is a Sprint device, most likely your carrier doesn't support it and you won't get the correct Service Books.
    01-01-12 12:54 PM
    My service provider does have BIS. BB's are extreamly popular here and everyone has one. they said they could not get it to work as it must be blocked.

What puzzles me is that why would the data be blocked and not the normal phone capabilities.
    01-01-12 04:58 PM
    My service provider does have BIS. BB's are extreamly popular here and everyone has one. they said they could not get it to work as it must be blocked.

What puzzles me is that why would the data be blocked and not the normal phone capabilities.
    It wouldn't be. The problem is likely not having the proper Service Books.
    01-01-12 06:51 PM
    You will need to do a backup for your old BB and extract the new service books using a program called crackutil and through BB desktop software.
    01-02-12 11:48 AM
    You will need to do a backup for your old BB and extract the new service books using a program called crackutil and through BB desktop software.
    I think this is his first berry ever the op said
    :-)
    01-02-12 12:30 PM
    I think this is his first berry ever the op said
    :-)
    So true. I don't know where to even begin. How hard is it to do. I need to know fast whether I should get rid of it or give this a try.

Is it dificult or straightforward?

can someone point me in the right direction where to get crackutil and instructions to use it exactly
    01-03-12 10:36 AM
    So true. I don't know where to even begin. How hard is it to do. I need to know fast whether I should get rid of it or give this a try.

Is it dificult or straightforward?

can someone point me in the right direction where to get crackutil and instructions to use it exactly
    i don't have an answer for that,but i think you should hang on to the phone till somebody can help you out.I'm sure its not that big of a deal to straighten this out.
    good luck
    01-03-12 11:13 AM
    Blackberry BIS is provided with support by carriers.

Unlocked Blackberry device that has been unlocked from a US carrier and now used with a SIM card from a GSM carrier in other country can be activated for data service by the carrier you are using it with if it's supported.

If it is then you also may need to reinstall the service books on your Blackberry device and to do that you need the right service books, those that used by your carrier to provide the BIS.

Contacting your carrier and asking for a service books to be sent to you may help you. then just reinstall and the data services will work.
    Basically, your BIS account should be activated with the PIN number of your device.
    01-04-12 11:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD