Good day Guys,
    I have an unlocked blackberry curve 8900. There is no mark on the blackberry so that i know company this blackberry is from. Currently i am using 4.6.1.199 on it. Is there a possibility that i can find out its original carrier that will help me to download and install future update from that carrier.

Regards,
    Ali
    07-18-09 11:52 AM
    Well you don't need to use an update from the carrier the BB belongs too.

Hold the ALT key and while holding the ALT key type EACE. Post the "Vendor ID" or google it.
    07-18-09 11:58 AM
    It is also possible that you have an unbranded 8900. In this case, there is no "original carrier" that it came from.
    07-18-09 12:26 PM
    Since it's unlocked just go with the carrier you want to go with. No biggie.
    You update the OS from your computer regardless of what carrier you choose.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-09 12:46 PM
    to update the OS i can do it with desktop manager or i have to go to common files/ apploader/loader procedure. I asked this because in Storm 9530 if you want to put and OS which is not from the original carrier you can't use desktop manager you have to go through apploader/loader. please explain
    07-18-09 01:15 PM
    need help guys.....
    07-19-09 12:35 PM
    Like Aristile said it sounds as though you have an unbranded device (which is a good thing). When you turn it on does any carriers splash screen come up?
    07-19-09 12:40 PM
    no i don't any carrier splash screen come up......but if my curve is unbranded and i install the handheld software from any company will it show up on DM?
    10-04-09 08:24 PM
    What's the vendor ID of the phone?

And it should work in DM no problems.

Where did you get the phone? You can buy them all over the place and they come unbranded and new. Hard to say where yours originated from.
    10-04-09 08:27 PM
    if its unbranded, when you start the phone instead of a carrier logo it will just say "Blackberry" in big blue letters just prior to entering the OS homescreen.

you can put any OS you want on the phone, as long as you just follow the proper procedures for OS installation (search, its a widely discussed topic). you just need to delete the vendor.xml file. once you download the OS, you install it to your PC. then, follow all the install instructions. once the phone is plugged into DM, it should recognize the new OS to be upgraded and it will prompt you to install/upgrade. just follow the procedures, its not that hard.
    10-04-09 08:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD