Hey there.
    I have an old work phone Blackberry 8830. I have since been laid off and I still have the phone in the house (they havent asked for it back..). Obviously the service no longer works on it. it was ATT, there is a little SOS where the network "bars" should be.

Of late, my girlfriend has lost her phone and requires one. If I were to unlock the 8830, would I be able to slip her SIM card in the back and have her use it? Is this still okay, even if she doesnt have a blackberry or a data plan (just phone and messaging). I just want to give it to her to use for the QWERTY keyboard.

Just wanna make sure she can use it before I pay someone for the unlock code.

Thanks!
    01-14-10 09:19 PM
    Are you trying to use a ATT 8320 on sprint? You won't be able to do that
    01-14-10 09:22 PM
    Hey there.
    I have an old work phone Blackberry 8830. I have since been laid off and I still have the phone in the house (they havent asked for it back..). Obviously the service no longer works on it. it was ATT, there is a little SOS where the network "bars" should be.

Of late, my girlfriend has lost her phone and requires one. If I were to unlock the 8830, would I be able to slip her SIM card in the back and have her use it? Is this still okay, even if she doesnt have a blackberry or a data plan (just phone and messaging). I just want to give it to her to use for the QWERTY keyboard.

Thanks!
    The 8830 will only work overseas once unlocked. I noticed you mentioned it was working with ATT, are you mistaken on the carrier or the model maybe?
    01-14-10 09:28 PM
    No it's not for me. Its for my girlfriend. T-Mobile is her carrier. Will the unlocked phone work for her?
    01-14-10 09:34 PM
    Oops. I meant 8300.
    01-14-10 09:35 PM
    Oops. I meant 8300.
    Yes if you unlock it she will be able to use it.
    01-14-10 09:36 PM
    Hey there.

Thanks!

8830WE only work unlocked overseas sorry
    01-14-10 09:46 PM
    Mods please update thread title to say 8300 as there was a mistake
    01-14-10 10:35 PM
    Yes once unlocked she can put in her Tmobile card and it will work. She does not need a data plan if she just wants to use the full keyboard to text and to make calls.

All you need is an unlock code. If you need one we can supply you with one.
    01-14-10 10:37 PM
    No it's not for me. Its for my girlfriend. T-Mobile is her carrier. Will the unlocked phone work for her?
    Once unlocked she will be able to use it with any GSM SIM card and she only needs a data plan if she wants to use BBM/EMAIL/BROWSER
    01-14-10 10:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD