I unlocked my 9550 for use in my travels to China.
    I decided to test it by inserting a friend's ATT pearl's sim into it and it recognizes the card and I get network EDGE signal, however when trying to place a call I get an error tone and error message on the screen.
    Now I also have a notification that states I have 3 messages (friend had 3 messages when sim was inserted) which I can't get rid off.
    Is this a service book issue? will I have to resend my service books every time I need to use a GSM card to place calls?

Thanks for any help.
    12-02-09 11:17 AM
    Have you switched the network settings to 2G?
    12-02-09 11:19 AM
    I had them on GSM, 3G-2G. I take it that would use either or so it should work.
    12-02-09 11:40 AM
    Nope has to be on strictly 2G
    12-02-09 11:46 AM
    I see. I will give that a try and will post back.
    Thanks!
    12-02-09 11:54 AM
    Make sure you reboot it afterwards
    12-02-09 12:02 PM
    Tried it and I have the same result. When placing a call I get an error on the screen that says "Congestion" and an error tone on the line.

oh I did not reboot it after making the changes to 2G. I will try that.
    12-02-09 12:05 PM
    I would try replacing the sim card, sounds more like a network error more than a phone error.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-09 12:12 PM
    Yeah i get the same result.
    The card works fine on his phone so not sure what the issue may be. Will try and find another sim card to test with.
    12-02-09 12:25 PM
    I put in a different sim card and I still get the same results. The second card is a Cingular card from a "dumb" phone. and as before network comes up, but I get the same error when trying to place a call.
    I did notice that when calling out it has my verzion number as the phone's number (under "My number"). Should it not have the sim card's number?

figured this would be simpler, glad I decided to test before trying it when I'm out of the country.

Any other ideas that may be offered as to why this is happening?

Thanks.
    12-02-09 02:16 PM
    To anyone that has an unlocked phone for use both with verizon and gsm provider...
    Does your phone work in the verizon network when you have the other carriers SIM card in the phone (but with the settings forced to 1xEV)? My phone will not place any calls or receive any calls if I insert any SIM that is not the Vodaphone SIM that came with the phone. Global Services is of no help... Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    12-02-09 05:12 PM
    You usually have to to do a reboot each and everytime you switch to a different network.
    12-02-09 09:37 PM
    I'll be taking 9550 to China soon, and wonder how that works tool.
    12-05-09 04:03 PM
    I have been having the same 'Congestion' issue with my new unlocked Storm 9550. The Sim works fine in my unlocked 9530 on ATT and I have matched the network settings (ATT, 2G) so I am guessing it's not a network issue but probably firmware (5.0.0.320). Has anyone with this problem found a solution?
    12-16-09 03:43 PM
    It's a Network issue only here in the USA. You will be fine overseas.
    12-16-09 11:39 PM
    It's a Network issue only here in the USA. You will be fine overseas.
    @cellunlocknet - so there's no hope of getting my 9550 working here in the US on AT&T?
    12-17-09 09:10 AM
    @cellunlocknet - so there's no hope of getting my 9550 working here in the US on AT&T?
    You can try changing SIM or upgrading/downgrading OS and it can help.
    12-17-09 10:50 AM
    @cellunlocknet - Thanks for your suggestion but I have tried my wife's SIM and another SIM with no success. Mind you these SIMs both work with an unlocked 9530, and Pearl.

I tried updating the firmware to the leaked .428 that I downloaded from CrackBerry but was unable to get that to load successfully so went back to the official .320 firmware and still no success. After a call to AT&T to work this out the consensus is that it's a firmware issue on my handset so I will try to exchange it and see what happens.

I am a BB admin and came on here wondering if I somehow missed something but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'll post back when I get the replacement.
    12-17-09 03:12 PM
    i think it might be a 5.0.320os issue. i have a bold thru at&t and when i take my sim out of the bold and put it in my unlocked 9550 storm i get the congestion error also. i cant seem to find an os upgrade or downgrade.
    02-08-10 09:08 PM
    It's actually just a 9550 error most all users get the same result on a unlocked one.
    02-08-10 09:44 PM
    @cellunlocknet - Thanks for your suggestion but I have tried my wife's SIM and another SIM with no success. Mind you these SIMs both work with an unlocked 9530, and Pearl.

I tried updating the firmware to the leaked .428 that I downloaded from CrackBerry but was unable to get that to load successfully so went back to the official .320 firmware and still no success. After a call to AT&T to work this out the consensus is that it's a firmware issue on my handset so I will try to exchange it and see what happens.

I am a BB admin and came on here wondering if I somehow missed something but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'll post back when I get the replacement.
    Yes that would be the last alternative. Let us know how it goes when you get the device exchanged. Should be OK.
    02-09-10 01:49 PM
    Its okay for me, cause i have the att standalone data only plan, no voice
    02-28-10 06:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD