Hi all, newbie here - tried searching for this topic but have not found anything like it.

I recently got the 8830, got it unlocked by Verizon and headed off to Russia with a Russian SIM card in it....works fine as a phone, and it says that it sees the gprs, but I cannot actually access the internet. I know that GPRS works because I have used this SIM card for several years in various phones and have always had GPRS access.

Anyone know if there is a way on the Verizon 8830 to change the GPRS settings (APN, login, password, etc)?

One additional note: sometimes the phone shows "gprs" and sometimes it shows "GPRS" but not Internet access either way. When I run the diagnostic program, it does say that data services are enabled.

This is my last hope with this phone...if I can't get it set up I'm going to have to return it - and that will be too bad because I really like it and there's no blackberry service available here in Russia....
    08-18-07 05:18 AM
    So, now the Internet browser icon has disappeared from the menu as well and when I try to open a shortcut I have, it says I don't have the service books I need...am I totally out of luck, or is there some solution here?
    08-18-07 11:17 AM
    OK, well, with 82 views people are reading but not responding...so the latest update is GPRS has mysteriously (?) started working after I wiped the device (but not immediately after)...but now all the service books and host routing tables are gone. So the web browser and google talk don't work, but the gmail app, google maps and IM+ do....
    08-19-07 06:30 AM
    Its probably because people are trying to find the solution for this problem... Atleast thats my reasoning. Your problem is quite unique because I have never heard of anyone having this problem and the phone is a new device as well so there are going to be bugs to be worked out.
    08-19-07 06:39 AM
    OK! Hope so!

So are there any good email apps for the blackberry that access the network directly instead of through blackberry internet connect that I could use?
    08-19-07 06:42 AM
    Greetings. Got the same problem - i've just bought unlocked BB from US and it works great with my sim card as cellular phone but not as gprs device. Sevan, you have said that it began to work after wiping? How can I wipe my bb?
    03-16-08 04:09 PM
    To wipe your bb go into options>security options>general settings>then hit the menu key and you will see wipe handheld. Your problem is probably because you need the service books. If you access set up email icon it will take you to the page were you can download the service books.
    03-16-08 04:18 PM
    Blackberries do not work without a Blackberry data plan. This is because Blackberries unlike other smartphones work like subscription devices and depend upon Service Books which help "tie" the device through the RIM Blackberry servers in their main NOC in Canada. Without that, you can't do squat with a BB shot of making a call. Yeah, that sucks, but that's Blackberry for you.
    03-16-08 08:29 PM
    Blackberry service will not work overseas. I tried mine while in greece. Unlocked 8830 and I was using a Vodaphone pay as you go sim card while there. The only thing I could do was make and receive calls and send text messages.
    03-16-08 09:37 PM
    Blackberry service will not work overseas. I tried mine while in greece. Unlocked 8830 and I was using a Vodaphone pay as you go sim card while there. The only thing I could do was make and receive calls and send text messages.
    What did I just say....
    Blackberries do not work without a Blackberry data plan. This is because Blackberries unlike other smartphones work like subscription devices and depend upon Service Books which help "tie" the device through the RIM Blackberry servers in their main NOC in Canada. Without that, you can't do squat with a BB shot of making a call. Yeah, that sucks, but that's Blackberry for you.
    Pay as you go SIM cards don't have BB plans on them. This is why it didn't work. If they did, then email and Internet would work. This is why the carrier SIMs that Sprint and Verizon give you work with the BB services there, because they have BB service provisioned to that SIM card as well.
    03-17-08 09:21 AM
    Can someone answer this question?

If I have unlocked 8830 from Verizon and wanna use it in some other country that only has GSM and BB service, can this device be used?

I know it supports GSM/CDMA protocol...
    03-17-08 09:37 AM
    Can someone answer this question?

If I have unlocked 8830 from Verizon and wanna use it in some other country that only has GSM and BB service, can this device be used?

I know it supports GSM/CDMA protocol...
    Technically speaking yes, but make sure the SIM you get from whatever carrier is provisioned for Blackberry Service. However, make sure the GSM bands in that country are the same bands as on the 8830. By default, not all 4 bands are activated on the GSM radio in this unit, only two bands so be sure to check and make sure.
    03-17-08 12:40 PM
    Can I make the 8830 do GPRS requests if I am on a network that is not blackberry aware?
    06-16-08 07:46 AM
    Is there ANY way that i can get blackberry internet and email features on my o2 pay as you go simcard or do i have to go contract? it says edge at the top right hand corner but i know it should say EDGE. Does anyone know how i go about fixing this problem?
    06-18-08 01:02 PM
    Is there ANY way that i can get blackberry internet and email features on my o2 pay as you go simcard or do i have to go contract? it says edge at the top right hand corner but i know it should say EDGE. Does anyone know how i go about fixing this problem?
    It will only work if O2 will give you Blackberry data on a prepay. Its highly unlikely but it couldn't hurt to call them and get some definitive answers. There is no way to hack this or skirt the system... just to save you some time.
    06-18-08 08:45 PM
    hi guys im not fully sure how i did it but i did i use opera mini for web browsing and nimbuzz for instant messenger on o2 payg i set the tcp manually in the advaced in setting and setup the mms etc manually loaded world live and created a free world live account everything works great no isses trying to get the skype working now on my blackberry
    10-05-09 01:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD