08-30-12 08:51 PM
1,342 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Silly question...why would you want to unlock your phone? So you could take it to another service provider or are there other reasons and/or benefits?
    06-08-08 07:19 PM
    yes, higher resale value too.
    06-08-08 07:20 PM
    Ooooh that makes sense. I never thought of what I would do with my current phone should I get another one. I usually go to yahoo answers and ask who wants a free phone and give them away but I can probably get a few bucks off a Blackberry.
    06-08-08 07:27 PM
    Definitely, my new 8310 was $150 locked.

Unlocked I sold it on ebay for $275. It was new.
    06-08-08 09:31 PM
    Guys I called my service provider and they said they are not allowed to give the codes to Customers and they do not unlock also. My service provider is Digicel in Curacao N.A. Could anyone help as i will be going on vacation for a couple months and I don't wanna pay Roaming charges. Please Help
    06-08-08 09:43 PM
    Theman: You don't have to get your phone unlocked, but it's handy since you can use other carriers sim cards. It's best for those leaving their provider's country or people with a phone from a different carrier
    Thank you!

One more question? Are worldphones like the verizon curve already unlocked?
    06-09-08 10:59 AM
    From CNET:

Features
    The big draw of the RIM BlackBerry 8830 is its dual-mode functionality. With this capability, the phone switches automatically between CDMA and GSM networks to offer seamless international roaming--all while keeping the same phone number. (Note that the phone does not support domestic GSM bands.) In all, you get voice coverage in 157 countries (22 of those on CDMA) and e-mail coverage in 62 countries. Just be aware that you'll still incur roaming rates, which range from 69 cents to $2.49 a minute.
    Last edited by CTenn; 06-09-08 at 11:23 AM.
    06-09-08 11:19 AM
    Here's how I see the economics of it:>

The carrier discounts the phone because you are locked into a contract. That's still true if its unlocked, so the only issue is "losing international fees". For personal users we're never going to use a phone on roaming because it's extortionate, hence they might as well give us a code. The reason that they are of course so high, is that lots of people have a 3rd party pay their bills (usually their company), so they're not going to ask for unlock.

As for me I travel to the UK a bit - I actually have a seperate phone and always just order a sim card. I would of course prefer to roam on my bberry, but the roaming fees are extortionate because there's total price indifference from the business user.

Not only that, but companies don't want to give you a phone at a discounted price and then have you walk out the door and go to a different provider.

Not only that, but companies don't want to give you a phone at a discounted price and then have you walk out the door and go to a different provider.

It should not matter if you signed a contract or not because bottom line it is now YOUR phone. Even if I unlock my phone and switch providers, I am still legally bound to the contract. Going off what you all wrote, since i signed the contract i have to use my phone, as in make calls and text, also untrue, I can sign the contract and throw my phone in the trash, as long as I pay the bill no one cares or questions. But paid bill or not, phone unlocked or not, you cannot give that phone back to the carrier after you bought it, they will tell you that it's your phone not theirs. That's like ford telling you you can only use firestone tires. If your phone is not stolen you should be able to get it unlocked, why? cause it's YOUR phone. The discounts don't matter because it's still YOUR phone and the contract is for the SERVICE not the phone. If I sign the contract today and never pay, none of the carriers will call and ask for the phone, none of my bills will state I owe the carrier this much for the phone, it will be a bill for CELLULAR SERVICE. I do not agree with the phones being lock by the carrier at all, "So you are telling me you lock my phone so you can make money." I mean honestly why lock the 8800 or Curve, both carriers sell them, minus one or two features. It's just control. Next your watch will be locked to the timezone you bought it in until you call Seiko and get the unlock code.

And by the way you DO NOT have to be a customer for any length of time to get the code, you don't even have to be a customer. I have gotten AT&T phones unlocked and I do not use them (on my dime) because they nickle and dime you for every little thing. And i know AT&T people that have called t-mobile and gotten phones unlocked, bottom line it's MY phone how can you tell me no?
    Last edited by chrisj979; 06-10-08 at 12:03 PM.
    06-10-08 11:56 AM
    I called T-Mo late yesterday afternoon and received the email with my unlock code an hour ago.
    06-10-08 12:06 PM
    I called T-Mo late yesterday afternoon and received the email with my unlock code an hour ago.
    Perfect!!!
    06-10-08 08:02 PM
    Is this "unlock code" the same as an "unblock SIM" code or PUK code, or is that something different? How many digits are the unlock codes for AT&T?
    06-11-08 02:19 PM
    I need to unblocked my new Curve 8310
    Any Ideas
    Berna
    06-11-08 02:20 PM
    Is this "unlock code" the same as an "unblock SIM" code or PUK code, or is that something different? How many digits are the unlock codes for AT&T?
    Okay...I found out it's not the same thing...
    06-12-08 01:18 PM
    Just called up AT&T...told them I was going to Italy next week and asked for the subsidy unlock code...the CS rep said she was having trouble with the system so she transferred me to tech support...I gave the tech support guy my IMEI and he gave me the unlock code right over the phone.

My 8310 is now unlocked!
    06-12-08 03:06 PM
    Just called up AT&T...told them I was going to Italy next week and asked for the subsidy unlock code...the CS rep said she was having trouble with the system so she transferred me to tech support...I gave the tech support guy my IMEI and he gave me the unlock code right over the phone.

My 8310 is now unlocked!
    Bravo!!!! Enjoy Italy!!! he he he
    06-12-08 03:52 PM
    Bravo!!!! Enjoy Italy!!! he he he
    Heh...I wish I was going...but I'll take the free unlocked phone any day...
    06-12-08 04:05 PM
    How did you unlock the phone? They give me the code but no instruction for unlocking. Thanks in advanced.
    06-12-08 04:16 PM
    How did you unlock the phone? They give me the code but no instruction for unlocking. Thanks in advanced.
    First, turn your wireless connection OFF:
    Go to Manage Connections and select Turn All Connections Off and click the trackball. Exit that screen.

Now go to the SIM Card menu:
    Settings > Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card

When you see the SIM Card screen, type in MEPD (not case sensitive).

You will then see another screen with a list of Personalization options. They should all be Disabled except for Network which should be Active. If Network is Disabled, then your phone is already unlocked and you can stop there.

If Network is Active, then type in MEP2 (not case sensitive, use ALT-E for the 2). It will ask for your unlock code. Carefully type in your 16-digit unlock code, then click the trackball to enter it. You should see a "Code Accepted" message. If you see that message, then your phone is now unlocked. Network should now show Disabled under the previous screen.

Turn your Wireless connection back ON under Manage Connections.

You're done!
    06-12-08 04:47 PM
    If I don't want to resell my phone and I don't plan on traveling overseas, are there any other reasons to unlock?
    06-12-08 10:27 PM
    If I don't want to resell my phone and I don't plan on traveling overseas, are there any other reasons to unlock?
    Yes, ability to use another provider.
    06-13-08 05:34 AM
    What countries besides the US use CDMA?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-08 06:51 AM
    You can call the provider for the unlock code for your BB phone.

Others, and I did this even if your not a customer.

They will email the code in a week.

You can do it yourself for free.
    I apologise to my English he isn't too good but I have so request if somebody could very much please for sending the code to taking down the simlock is thanking a lot I am greeting

blackberry 8310 curve simlock provider O2 - IMEI -> Private Messages
    Last edited by pinek; 06-13-08 at 08:06 AM.
    06-13-08 07:40 AM
    First, turn your wireless connection OFF:
    Go to Manage Connections and select Turn All Connections Off and click the trackball. Exit that screen.

Now go to the SIM Card menu:
    Settings > Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card

When you see the SIM Card screen, type in MEPD (not case sensitive).

You will then see another screen with a list of Personalization options. They should all be Disabled except for Network which should be Active. If Network is Disabled, then your phone is already unlocked and you can stop there.

If Network is Active, then type in MEP2 (not case sensitive, use ALT-E for the 2). It will ask for your unlock code. Carefully type in your 16-digit unlock code, then click the trackball to enter it. You should see a "Code Accepted" message. If you see that message, then your phone is now unlocked. Network should now show Disabled under the previous screen.

Turn your Wireless connection back ON under Manage Connections.

You're done!

Perfect. Everything in the personalization is disabled. Thank you.
    06-13-08 09:52 AM
    Sweet,, i am on hold now with Verizon Tech asking for the Code,, I have been on Hold for 30 mins. Hope this works I travel Alot so this will be Great.
    Thanks Guys (genius)
    VANDAL
    06-17-08 07:33 AM
    I just called AT&T and received my unlock code immediately. Now,,,,how do I use the unlock code to unlock my Blackberry 8310 Curve with my current sim card, (or does it make a difference what sim card I use)? Thanks,
    J
    06-22-08 10:14 PM
1,342 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD