08-30-12 08:51 PM
1,342 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Quick question on unlocked phones and data plans. I recently went traveling after getting the unlock code from AT&T and the phone service provider in Haiti is telling me that I still need a PIN from AT&T to set up my Blackberry Enterprise Server account.

Can anyone tell me about whether I need anything else or whether I can just go get it set up in Haiti as is ?

Thanks
    Nick
    03-24-08 05:45 PM
    I don't get it-- how would unlocking a phone benefit me? I guess I should rephrase -- what are the benefits of an unlocked phone?
    03-24-08 05:51 PM
    You can use an unlocked GSM phone on any GSM carrier worl wide. Once unlocked the phone is not carrier specific.
    03-24-08 05:58 PM
    Here's how I see the economics of it:>

The carrier discounts the phone because you are locked into a contract. That's still true if its unlocked, so the only issue is "losing international fees". For personal users we're never going to use a phone on roaming because it's extortionate, hence they might as well give us a code. The reason that they are of course so high, is that lots of people have a 3rd party pay their bills (usually their company), so they're not going to ask for unlock.

As for me I travel to the UK a bit - I actually have a seperate phone and always just order a sim card. I would of course prefer to roam on my bberry, but the roaming fees are extortionate because there's total price indifference from the business user.
    Not only that, but companies don't want to give you a phone at a discounted price and then have you walk out the door and go to a different provider.
    03-24-08 06:52 PM
    Please give me a quick education..

If I have an "unlocked" phone but an active SIM card can I put the SIM card in the unlocked phone and waaalaaa????

I am trying to get out from behind AT&T NOT insuring my phone and most likely me damaging it beyond repair and think this is the best way.
    03-24-08 08:24 PM
    Bingo, you are now connected. Feel free to make calls. LOL
    03-24-08 08:30 PM
    YUP!!! doing that now!

Please give me a quick education..

If I have an "unlocked" phone but an active SIM card can I put the SIM card in the unlocked phone and waaalaaa????

I am trying to get out from behind AT&T NOT insuring my phone and most likely me damaging it beyond repair and think this is the best way.
    03-24-08 08:45 PM
    Hey, i ordered a bb 8320 locked on tmobile for att service. can i call tmobile and they will give me a a unlock code? or must i be a customer?
    03-27-08 01:54 AM
    Most forums, including this one, don't allow that. However, that doesn't mean that one should never pay for an unlock. Carriers may be changing their policies, I'm not sure. In the past you had to be a customer in good standing. I'm sure it depends on the particular carrier too.

That being said, it doesn't mean that paying for a legitimate unlock service is bad. There are reputable ones out there. There are also, dishonest ones too. Good luck!
    They won't change, at least AT&T won't. If you think about it, you are still on a contract whether it's locked/unlocked. I remember when we had the training on this a while back when the policy was only for customers who paid retail or customers out of contract (a couple of others I won't mention) and now it's pretty easy to get it.
    03-27-08 02:10 AM
    Hey, i ordered a bb 8320 locked on tmobile for att service. can i call tmobile and they will give me a a unlock code? or must i be a customer?
    I assume you want ATT and its locked to Tmo?

Yes, If you own that phone You can call Tmo despite not being a customer.
    03-27-08 05:50 AM
    TMO Should give it to you.
    03-27-08 06:45 AM
    Sorry to be such a newb but what is the difference between a locked phone and an unlocked phone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-08 07:33 AM
    just got a friend to call att for the unlock code for my bb curve and the CSR was asking for reciept and proof of purchase of the phone from a att store. Has anyone come across this crap when they were getting there codes.

brok1178
    03-27-08 10:21 AM
    hmm... thats really interesting, yes ant, it is locked on tmo for att service. do i email them or should i call and what do i ask for (i know for unlock code) but... i guess how should i ask as a non customer?
    Last edited by ahn1ad; 03-27-08 at 10:58 AM.
    03-27-08 10:36 AM
    Anyway, I received my unlock code free from At&t in 20 minutes (I do travel to Mexico and that was the reason I gave). My friend received two unlock codes from T-Mo within 24 hours of requesting each.
    sandman - how did you get an unlock code for the 8320 through at&t
    03-27-08 11:01 AM
    hmm... thats really interesting, yes ant, it is locked on tmo for att service. do i email them or should i call and what do i ask for (i know for unlock code) but... i guess how should i ask as a non customer?
    Your saying 2 things here that definitely don't go together.

If its locked to T mo then its for T-mo service NOT att. It cannot.... no way... be locked to Tmo for ATT service.

Yes, ask as a non customer.
    03-27-08 07:55 PM
    just got a friend to call att for the unlock code for my bb curve and the CSR was asking for reciept and proof of purchase of the phone from a att store. Has anyone come across this crap when they were getting there codes.

brok1178
    You bought it off of Ebay END OF STORY!!!!

They will know from the IMEI if its stolen.

They did ask where I bought it, I said ebay.
    03-27-08 07:56 PM
    No,no email,talk to a human. Your traveling to Italy next week, you want to use a sim card there.

Thats as simple as it stays, there are no followup questions after that, except for your phone number. I gave them my T-mo number for a phone that was locked to att.
    Last edited by ant17; 03-27-08 at 07:59 PM.
    03-27-08 07:57 PM
    sorry dude, i am confused myself. what i meant was that i got a unlocked tmo curve but want it to work on my at&t service...
    Last edited by ahn1ad; 03-27-08 at 10:42 PM.
    03-27-08 10:27 PM
    sandman - how did you get an unlock code for the 8320 through at&t
    Sorry, this post was old and before I had my BB. I received an unlock code from Att to unlock my Moto Q9h right before I got my BB, they sent it to me very fast, but remember I am a Att customer and it was an Att phone.

To get the unlock code for my BB 8320, a friend called T-Mo and said he would be using 'my phone' overseas, I had the unlock code in 24 hrs......

Moral of the story....to unlock a T-Mo phone...to USE on Att,,,,u need a friend that has a T-Mo number to call for u...
    03-27-08 10:41 PM
    i so want to unlock my bb
    03-27-08 10:50 PM
    This works. Paid to unlock my phone, then came across this thread and tried it for another BB for my wife. ATT csr gave me an unlock code within 10 min. I told them I bought a new ATT branded phone but that I was a TMO customer and needed the unlock cold. They ask for the IMEI #, put me on hold and came back with the code. No questions asked.
    04-23-08 10:18 PM
    With ATT all you have to do is call them and ask.

I'm traveling out of the country in a week and want to be able to use the local carrier's SIM card. I told ATT that, and they gave me the unlock code over the phone in a few minutes. Just asked for my IMEI. Of course, I am an ATT customer.
    04-24-08 08:16 AM
    T-mo in the UK told me it would take a month to do and they wanted abouzt 30 bucks to do it.

I had a Tmo pay as ya go card and I called them on the phone telling them that I had to go abraod and was going to buy another pay as you go card when I got there.

They argued a bit and then finally agreed. I moaned about the delay and the girl said that she was just reading from her screen script.

It would have worked though.
    04-24-08 08:57 AM
    thanks alot!you answerd my question.my brother got a bb from tmobile and cancelled within 30 days they said he can keep the phone.all i need now is to unlocke it how do i do that?
    04-24-08 10:47 PM
1,342 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD