08-30-12 09:51 PM
1,342 12345 ...
tools
    Ok, entirely n00b question here, but I am entirely confused and would like some information please. Say one purchases a BB from eBay and wants an unlock code from some carrier, does the code contain a phone number or something? I'm lost on how a number would be attached to the phone unless there was a sim card that went with it, but doesn't that even require a call to a carrier to activate it? I guess I'm trying to figure out what the entire benefits are of this process, but if I can get FREE service, then I'm all about that. Just a little help on this would be fabulous!!
    Example;

You buy an locked phone(to att) on ebay and would like to have T-mobil service or prepaid.

You would need to call att and ask for the subsidy unlock code.

If you buy a prepaid sim to use, your phone number would be on that sim.

If you decided you rather have a phone plan and or data plan, the company you chose will sell you the sim to accomplish this,unless you already have the sim.
    03-07-08 06:33 AM
    OK, I get most of this. I have Alltel. They have an unlocked GPS, and I think their sims cards are unlocked. I didn't get one with phone, its cdma, can I buy sims card for my phone and get it updated with another carrier in another country with gsm?
    03-09-08 05:11 PM
    What does unlocking the phone do?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-08 05:19 PM
    Most carriers pay for part of the phone. If you are a customer of the carrier the phone is branded with and have a good record with them they will usually provide an unlock if you are travelling for any length of time out of the country.
    They are not under obligation to unlock the phone until your contract agreement has been met (ie 12/18/24 months etc).

If you buy a subsidised phone (ie branded with a carrier) from a third party
    is usually easiest to find someone who has a RIM connection to unlock.

RIM will not deal with "unlock" requests direct from users.

03-09-08 05:35 PM
    OK, I get most of this. I have Alltel. They have an unlocked GPS, and I think their sims cards are unlocked. I didn't get one with phone, its cdma, can I buy sims card for my phone and get it updated with another carrier in another country with gsm?
    CDMA and GSM are two very different things.

Not compatible at all.
    03-09-08 06:35 PM
    if your phone is CDMA, then you can't use it with GSM service, since They are not compatible
    - ( GSM store the acct info in the SIM Card, while CDMA is built in to the phone)
    - Different bandwith freq
    -etc

in theory, your unlocked CDMA could only be used with another carrier that use CDMA, exp: from Verizon to Sprint ( Can we actually do this?)
    03-09-08 07:57 PM
    What does unlocking the phone do?

In short, it allows you to use the GSM carrier of your choice, weather its a plan, or prepaid like I use.
    03-10-08 08:23 PM
    I just received the unlock code for my 8310. One down and one to go for my 8800. They gave me the 8310 instantly, but it has been four days since I requested the other. If it doesn't arrive tomorrow I will call again.

03-10-08 08:44 PM
    I just received the unlock code for my 8310. One down and one to go for my 8800. They gave me the 8310 instantly, but it has been four days since I requested the other. If it doesn't arrive tomorrow I will call again.

Excellent!!! No need to pay EVER!!!
    03-10-08 08:46 PM
    ok, so get my Cellular One phone i bought off of ebay unlocked.

IMEI 354879016508607

I couldnt get it done.

Lets see if someone else can.
    03-10-08 09:02 PM
    ok, so get my Cellular One phone i bought off of ebay unlocked.

IMEI 354879016508607

I couldnt get it done.

Lets see if someone else can.
    Who locked it?

Did you call them?
    03-10-08 09:29 PM
    It is locked to Cellular One.

i emailed and no response yet.
    03-10-08 09:34 PM
    It is locked to Cellular One.

i emailed and no response yet.
    Forget email, you may never hear from them.

Find the phone number, talk to a person, and follow the routine above.
    03-10-08 09:36 PM
    sorry but im a newb, but what is "unlock" ,mean in cell phone wise? what does it let you achieve?
    03-12-08 11:10 PM
    sorry but im a newb, but what is "unlock" ,mean in cell phone wise? what does it let you achieve?
    Lets you use any GSM service provider you want.

And sims in Europe.
    03-12-08 11:11 PM
    I called my provider, asked for the unlock code and they emailed it to me, no questions asked.
    03-22-08 05:00 PM
    I don't understand what an "unlock code" is or what it will do for you? Probably a silly question, but I am still a bb newbie! lol Sorry if its a lame question!
    03-22-08 05:38 PM
    I don't understand what an "unlock code" is or what it will do for you? Probably a silly question, but I am still a bb newbie! lol Sorry if its a lame question!
    Sprint does not use GSM or sims.

Most likely don't apply.

For GSM and sim units, unlocked phone allows choice of service provider.
    03-22-08 05:47 PM
    Guys, if you own the phone you can always get the unlock code, but if you really think about it, you will only want to unlock it if you need to do so.

Why? Well, it actually makes your phone less attractive to steal if locked. Personally, I do not plan on unlocking my AT&T phone as it does not limit my use in any way. Now, if I had to use another carriers GSM sim card for some reason (coverage etc.) then I would do it to avoid having two phones, but other than that I have no need to unlock it.

If I ever decided to change carriers after my contract is up it is highly likely that I'll be getting a newer Blackberry anyway, but that might be another time I would consider it, if for no other reason than to have a backup phone.

Really, I just look at it as one more security layer. You can always unlock it when/if you really need to do so.

Patrick
    03-22-08 05:49 PM
    I have a Dobson Cellular One BB curve. I called today to have it unlocked and they didn't give me any problems at all. They didn't even ask for a reason.

We'll see how it goes once I get the e-mail.
    03-22-08 06:35 PM
    It will be a breeze, they even include instruction in the email.
    03-22-08 06:59 PM
    Thanks Patrick!!!
    03-22-08 07:01 PM
    Guys, if you own the phone you can always get the unlock code, but if you really think about it, you will only want to unlock it if you need to do so.

Why? Well, it actually makes your phone less attractive to steal if locked. Personally, I do not plan on unlocking my AT&T phone as it does not limit my use in any way. Now, if I had to use another carriers GSM sim card for some reason (coverage etc.) then I would do it to avoid having two phones, but other than that I have no need to unlock it.

If I ever decided to change carriers after my contract is up it is highly likely that I'll be getting a newer Blackberry anyway, but that might be another time I would consider it, if for no other reason than to have a backup phone.

Really, I just look at it as one more security layer. You can always unlock it when/if you really need to do so.

Patrick
    LOL, Who is going to know your phone is unlocked? It is only going to be attractive to steal if you are stupid enough to tell people it's unlocked.
    03-22-08 07:03 PM
    LOL, Who is going to know your phone is unlocked? It is only going to be attractive to steal if you are stupid enough to tell people it's unlocked.
    That was my first thought. No one can tell if a BB is unlocked just by looking at the outside of the phone.
    03-22-08 07:41 PM
    I called my provider, asked for the unlock code and they emailed it to me, no questions asked.
    Yup same here!
    03-23-08 11:34 AM
1,342 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD