08-30-12 08:51 PM
1,342 ... 2122232425 ...
tools
    You can call the provider for the unlock code for your BB phone.

Others, and I did this even if your not a customer of that service.

They will email the code in a week or less. Some have received the code instantly.

You can do it yourself for free.

Call customer service of the locking company.

Simply ask for the "subsidy unlock code". You are traveling to Italy.

This works 100% of the time.

Definitely don't pay for an unlock!!! That's just like burning money.

Cheers
    Thanks for the info
    02-25-09 11:28 AM
    Need help.. newbie here...

I bought a BB8830 WE (sprint branded) UNLOCKED phone from an online retailer.. cant get a hold of their CS.. can anyone tell if my phone is in fact unlocked?? here is my settings listed :
    Under the Advanced Options>SIM>
    SIM CARD: Security Disabled
    ID: (shows an ID # 18 digits)
    SIM: disabled
    Network: active
    Network Subset: disabled
    Service Provider: disabled
    Corporate: disabled

I'm traveling to Thailand and the Philippines in a week and need to know if it unlocked and I can use the local sim cards for those countries.. MANY MANY thanks for all helpful input!!!
    In order for your device to be unlocked & accept a SIM card from a US Domestic GSM carrier such as T-Mobile or AT&T, the Network attribute should read inactive or disabled.
    Please note that this device is capable of using the GPRS & Edge bands on domestic carriers but not 3G on T-Mobile or AT&T
    02-25-09 12:16 PM
    so have two bb's one is a the 8100 the othr 8110. i called att and the lady gave me the unlock codes but wouldnt tell me how to unlock it. i asked her a few times to help me out but said that att doesnt assist in the unlocking of phones but will only give the unlock code.........so how in the heck do i unlock the phones???
    02-26-09 11:42 PM
    You can call the provider for the unlock code for your BB phone.

Others, and I did this even if your not a customer of that service.

They will email the code in a week or less. Some have received the code instantly.

You can do it yourself for free.

Call customer service of the locking company.

Simply ask for the "subsidy unlock code". You are traveling to Italy.

This works 100% of the time.

Definitely don't pay for an unlock!!! That's just like burning money.

Cheers

I tried this so many times. I came up with so many excuses. What they tell me is ... WHEN YOU GET TO ITALY CALL US ON OUR TOLL FREE NUMBER/ WE ALSO WILL ACCEPT COLLECT CALLS AND WE CAN EVALUATE YOUR PROBLEM WHEN IT OCCURS. it sucks. They use that for an excuse for everything.

I tried to tell them that I started the process at a bell mobility store and that we were on the line waiting for data support but you guys took so long, and to just continue it at home. And they told me that they cant do that.

I also told them that in my area that I cant get a bell signal but I can get rogers signal (my friends phone works) they ask me for an address, and I gave it to them (this is true in a area, bell wont work and rogers does) and they said that, ya it is low and they will suggest that maybe one day theyll be a tower and they appologize.

So ya, its not 100%. It wont work all the time.
    02-27-09 01:47 PM
    I'm with VZW and I just don't think they'll give anything away for free. Not from the company that's known for crippling their phones just for you to pay them to allow you to use a particular service. JMO
    02-27-09 11:59 PM
    What are the benefits of unlocking a phone?
    03-01-09 07:07 AM
    One benefit is an unlocked phone can be used on other networks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-09 07:15 AM
    When I bought my 8330 it did not come with the card. Does this mean the phone is already unlocked?
    03-01-09 07:59 AM
    i dont understand if you are on a contract why you would want to unlock your phone unless you really were traveling to another country..

UK is the same they will not in any way shape or form give you an unlock code for your phone unless you pay out your contract or your contract is up.
    03-01-09 10:52 AM
    If you have a 8330, you are on Verizon Wireless. That is a CDMA network which do not use SIM cards except in their world phone devices. Your model, the 8330 can not be unlocked. An example of a Verizon Wireless device that can be unlocked is the Storm. The Storm has a SIM card for networks outside the US but can be unlocked to use domestic carriers such as T-Mobile or AT&T.
    Hope this explains it for you.

03-01-09 10:58 AM
    does anybody knows if a bb 8830 wich provider is sprint can be unlock i had try pay on ebay to unlock it but nobody can doit .any help would be apreciated thanks
    03-01-09 08:25 PM
    The 8830 is a CDMA Blackberry for either Sprint or Verizon Wireless. That is why it can't be unlocked. Only GSM handsets that use SIM cards & have a IMEI registry can be unlocked.

03-01-09 08:28 PM
    cool i unlocked my Rogers Bold 9000 for $6USD. Quick and easy. Rogers never gives out unlock codes.
    03-01-09 08:37 PM
    I found this on their website. Can anyone verify this?

"If you purchased a wireless phone (other than a "global phone") from Verizon Wireless for use with a plan with a minimum term and want to reprogram your phone for use with another wireless carrier network, the default service programming code is set to "000000" or "123456." Verizon Wireless in no way guarantees that your Verizon Wireless phone will be capable of being reprogrammed for use with another wireless carrier network after the service programming code is entered, or that another wireless carrier will accept your device for use on its network."
    03-02-09 08:22 PM
    I just got cellular service with US Cellular. It is a CDMA network (so I don't use a SIM Card). I want to unlock my phone because quite frankly I think I want to switch to another carrier (US Cellular has NOT impressed me in the 4 days I have had their service) but I don't want to buy a new BlackBerry Curve 8330. So can I call anyone to unlock it or do I HAVE to call US Cellular (Because I don't think they'd give me the code). After you get the code how do you actually unlock the phone? Does anyone have the steps to doing that?

Because so far what I have read here (Yes, I've read almost all of the responses) it does seem like one person asks "What is unlocking your phone? What does it mean? What does it get me? etc..." and then 10 people explain it and then it all starts over again.
    03-02-09 10:02 PM
    I just got cellular service with US Cellular. It is a CDMA network (so I don't use a SIM Card). I want to unlock my phone because quite frankly I think I want to switch to another carrier (US Cellular has NOT impressed me in the 4 days I have had their service) but I don't want to buy a new BlackBerry Curve 8330. So can I call anyone to unlock it or do I HAVE to call US Cellular (Because I don't think they'd give me the code). After you get the code how do you actually unlock the phone? Does anyone have the steps to doing that?

Because so far what I have read here (Yes, I've read almost all of the responses) it does seem like one person asks "What is unlocking your phone? What does it mean? What does it get me? etc..." and then 10 people explain it and then it all starts over again.
    How-to Unlocking a CDMA Phone...
    03-02-09 11:09 PM
    i tried calling AT&T to get an unlock code for me 8310 but it didnt quite work. i told them i was going out of the country and i wanted to borrow a friend's SIM card in another country (didnt say that exactly) on my blackberry and they told me that they were gonna transfer me to put an international plan thing on my account so i just hung up.....how much is this? does this usually happen or was it just the person i ended up with?
    03-03-09 07:38 PM
    i tried calling AT&T to get an unlock code for me 8310 but it didnt quite work. i told them i was going out of the country and i wanted to borrow a friend's SIM card in another country (didnt say that exactly) on my blackberry and they told me that they were gonna transfer me to put an international plan thing on my account so i just hung up.....how much is this? does this usually happen or was it just the person i ended up with?
    Wayyyyy off topic... but did you get your User Name from one of the episodes of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air? Lol.
    03-03-09 09:36 PM
    i have an unlock code for my bb phone but how do you get to the screen where you enter it in??
    03-04-09 12:26 PM
    Do a search for unlocking instructions. If you can't find it, I will post it later for you.

03-04-09 01:01 PM
    i have an unlock code for my bb phone but how do you get to the screen where you enter it in??
    How to Enter Unlock Codes on BlackBerry 7130c:
    Select Options menu on BB.
    Nownyou select SIM CARD menu. To be able to see this you have to type thisnon the keypad on phone : (TEXT WILL NOT APPEAR ON THE SCREEN until younenter the unlock code)
    Type 'MEPD' for all models except 7100 in which case in case use 'MEPPD'.
    Usuallynu should see "active" NET lock. Now in order to disable this lock typen'MEP2' respectively 'MEPP2' if phone is 7100 and will appear a dialognasking for code. NOTE: You must use the "alt" or "shift" key to enablennumbers so example would be: m-e-p-"alt key"-2 Now you should see thenplace to enter your net unlock code.(if not, you didn't type in mep2 ornmepp2 properly.)
    Here you must enter the "Unlock Code"
    03-06-09 11:42 AM
    Going to be switching back to T-Mobile probably tomorrow so I tried to unlock my Bold. Called AT&T to try to get them to unlock it, did what it said on the first post, told them I was going to Italy and wanted to make sure my phone would work and that I needed the unlock code. They told me they couldn't give me the code because they do have a roaming plan for Italy or something like that.
    03-07-09 02:45 PM
    Regardless of what reason you tell your carrier, just simply tell that that you already purchased a prepaid SIM card & need the unlock code to use it. Just make sure to emphasize that you are not interested in their international plan & already ordered the prepaid SIM card as it is on its way. Very simple process that can be used once in a while when you get a new phone model but should not be abused or else they may decline and begin an investigation.

03-07-09 03:03 PM
    When I called I made something up and told them I'd be traveling to Italy in April. They asked if I was only going to be in Italy and I said yes. I didn't mention anything about a prepaid sim card. I also don't know how those work. Would I be able to call back and tell them I have a prepaid SIM card? Do they have on file what I talked about with the other person? Can I have a prepaid SIM card now to use in April incase they do bring up what I was talking about? I want to try to get this unlocked today because I will most likely be switching to T-Mo tmw and then they probably will not unlock it for me.
    03-07-09 03:16 PM
    Yes, they do make call log notes of when you contact customer service for a general reason. I would simply call them back & explain that you will be leaving shortly for a trip to Europe and you have a prepaid SIM card coming anyday now and would like the unlock code to use it. If they get suspicious, they may withhold giving you the code but I would stick with your story and ask to speak with a supervisor if need be. For some reason, if they do not issue you the code, for a small fee of around $10, you can get an unlock code within 30 minutes and your done. I have done it and it works just fine.
    Do not give up on AT&T though, they just want to make it as difficult as possible for you to get the code.
    03-07-09 03:22 PM
1,342 ... 2122232425 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD