07-04-09 06:43 PM
46 12
tools
    I apologize if this question has been asked. I did a search but did not find an answer. My question IS NOT will the BB Tour have WIFI. We already know the answer to that question. But I have another question, and here it is:

Being that the Tour is definitely WIFI capable, though disabled on Verizon, is it possible to unlock or enable this capability some kind of way? Or did they completely remove the "wifi guts" from the phone?

Additionally, if you bought a Tour under Verizon, and then later went to AT&T, would your Tour be able to have wifi work then??? Or has Verizon completely crippled the phone of wifi???

Thanks.
    07-04-09 04:55 AM
    I'm not sure as to what the answer to your question is but Verizon really aggravates me with their non-sense. They lock everything possible on the device. If they didn't have better service than T-Mobile I'd switch back tomorrow. I've had a lot of issues with my Storm and I thought about going with an HTC Touch Pro until I realized Verizon crippled the device from day one.

Verizon FTL in this case.

Sorry I don't have an answer.
    07-04-09 05:10 AM
    Thanks.

I've had wifi on Verizon for the last 2 years with my Samsung WM6 phone. I still have data service too. I enjoy still having the freedom and liberty of wifi.

I pre-ordered my Tour yesterday and look forward to it, but hope there is an answer to this question.

Is it all in the software? Is it possible to install a non-Verizon version of the OS and get wifi to work?

Thanks again to whomever.
    07-04-09 05:15 AM
    I apologize if this question has been asked. I did a search but did not find an answer. My question IS NOT will the BB Tour have WIFI. We already know the answer to that question. But I have another question, and here it is:

Being that the Tour is definitely WIFI capable, though disabled on Verizon, is it possible to unlock or enable this capability some kind of way? Or did they completely remove the "wifi guts" from the phone?

Additionally, if you bought a Tour under Verizon, and then later went to AT&T, would your Tour be able to have wifi work then??? Or has Verizon completely crippled the phone of wifi???

Thanks.

are you sure that you know this because I still don't think its been proving that the hardware is even in the final device.. people have stated that the storm is capable as well but during complete rip downs no-one noticed a wi-fi chip..

so I find it hard to believe no offense and to top that off then why wouldn't sprints have it enabled?
    if it was verizon' doing
    07-04-09 05:19 AM
    are you sure that you know this because I still don't think its been proving that the hardware is even in the final device.. people have stated that the storm is capable as well but during complete rip downs no-one noticed a wi-fi chip..

so I find it hard to believe no offense and to top that off then why wouldn't sprints have it enabled?
    if it was verizon' doing
    I NEVER stated that I knew anything. That's why I'm asking. Make sure you read my comments in full to get the complete context.
    07-04-09 05:22 AM
    I NEVER stated that I knew anything. That's why I'm asking. Make sure you read my comments in full to get the complete context.
    I did and the way it was worded in the first sentence made it sound like from the other thread "we already know the answer to this question"

a few people have been saying that the hardware is in there but I don't believe it is..

I thought thats what you were referring to.

thats why I went on to say that if it was verizon taking it out then sprint would have it right?
    07-04-09 05:25 AM
    I did and the way it was worded in the first sentence made it sound like from the other thread "we already know the answer to this question"

a few people have been saying that the hardware is in there but I don't believe it is..

I thought thats what you were referring to.

thats why I went on to say that if it was verizon taking it out then sprint would have it right?
    No. When I said "we already no the answer to this question," that meant we already know that Verizon is not providing wifi as a feature.

Now that we know what I'm truly asking, lets jump back on topic.

Thanks.
    07-04-09 05:28 AM
    No. When I said "we already no the answer to this question," that meant we already know that Verizon is not providing wifi as a feature.

Now that we know what I'm truly asking, lets jump back on topic.

Thanks.

I still think it was answered in the first post...

that I made the hardware doesn't exist.. inside the device there for nothing can make the tour have wi-fi
    07-04-09 05:31 AM
    I still think it was answered in the first post...

that I made the hardware doesn't exist.. inside the device there for nothing can make the tour have wi-fi
    My bad and my apologies. So are you saying that some have already explored and determined that the "guts" necessary to make it wifi are missing?

So, if someone left VZW and went to AT&T, what could they do with their Tour to make it wifi ready? Well, you wouldn't even have to leave VZW to do that. Quite simply, how does one go about making a Tour wifi capable, even it if means adding some kind of additional hardware?

Thanks.
    07-04-09 05:34 AM

Thanks.
    It is not.
    07-04-09 05:35 AM
    It is not.
    Yes it is, just not on Verizon. Make sure you read my posts in context please.

Thanks.
    07-04-09 05:36 AM

Thanks.

I think he means it is not capable of having wi-fi because the device itself does not have the wi-fi chip in it there for it is not capable lol

very early builds of this device were rumored to have wi-fi yes rumored

all the test units that went out I am like 99 percent sure did not have wi-fi hardware there isn't a single CDMA berry that exists with wi-fi and my personal belief is that was a limitation do to the problems of having it with a qualcom chip (battery issues)

but no matter which way you spin it the wi-fi doesn't exist for the tour.. there for its not verizon or sprint locking it out at this point..
    07-04-09 05:40 AM
    No WIFI, it's been covered. Don't come in here asking questions then taking a stand like you know what you're talking about.

Next.
    07-04-09 05:42 AM
    Let me clarify...

When I say "wifi capable," I mean that RIM designed the phone to be capable of wifi. So what I'm asking is it possible to still harness this capability even though VZW disabled it... But I guess the answer is "no," because VZW has completely removed the hardware necessary to make this happen.

If that is the case, how can one put the hardware in to make it work? What is exactly missing and how can it be put in place?
    07-04-09 05:45 AM
    No WIFI, it's been covered. Don't come in here asking questions then taking a stand like you know what you're talking about.

Next.
    ??? Taking a stand? What in the world are you talking about young man? Please be respectful.

You ASSUME I think I know what I'm talking about. I KNOW NOTHING. And that's why I'm asking questions. I think you need to calm down.
    07-04-09 05:46 AM
    It would be a waste of time and energy to even ATTEMPT at putting WiFi hardware in the Tour. Simply put, the Tour doesn't have WiFi, and you can't really "make it" have WiFi. If you want a BB with WiFi, switch carriers.
    07-04-09 05:46 AM
    Let me clarify...

When I say "wifi capable," I mean that RIM designed the phone to be capable of wifi. So what I'm asking is it possible to still harness this capability even though VZW disabled it... But I guess the answer is "no," because VZW has completely removed the hardware necessary to make this happen.

If that is the case, how can one put the hardware in to make it work? What is exactly missing and how can it be put in place?

no vzw didn't remove the hardware..

RIM manufactures the phone there for RIM removed it..

thats why the tour on BELL on SPRINT on VERIZON on TELUS on whatever company is having the 9630 does not have wi-fi
    07-04-09 05:48 AM
    Being that the Tour is definitely WIFI capable
    It is not.

Thanks.
    It definitely sounds like to me you're "speaking" as if you know what you're talking about.
    07-04-09 05:48 AM
    no vzw didn't remove the hardware..

RIM manufactures the phone there for RIM removed it..

thats why the tour on BELL on SPRINT on VERIZON on TELUS on whatever company is having the 9630 does not have wi-fi
    Well, I know RIM removed it, but I'm sure at VZW's request. Don't really care who removed it. LOL! Just trying to find out how it can be fixed so that it can have wifi. Is that possible?

So at this moment, AT&T is the only who didn't request this I guess.
    07-04-09 05:50 AM
    Well, I know RIM removed it, but I'm sure at VZW's request. Don't really care who removed it. LOL! Just trying to find out how it can be fixed so that it can have wifi. Is that possible?

Not possible...

And T-Mobile phones have WiFi as well. (Speaking only about US carriers)
    07-04-09 05:52 AM

ok this is the final post for me on this thread...

the tour is completely and utterly 100 percent positive not going to be anywhat capable of having wi-fi

AT&T did not request anything about the tour because the tour is a CDMA blackberry at&T is a "GSM" network there variation of the tour is called the blackberry bold 9000.

CDMA networks in the usa = verizon, sprint, (us cellular?)

GSM networks = t-mobile, at&t don't know of any others but there probably out there
    07-04-09 05:52 AM
    It definitely sounds like to me you're "speaking" as if you know what you're talking about.
    So, for clarifications sake, are you saying that the Tour from the jump was made not to have wifi capability? Meaning the hardware for it is not in the phone? Correct? This is a genuine question.
    07-04-09 05:54 AM
    ok this is the final post for me on this thread...

the tour is completely and utterly 100 percent positive not going to be anywhat capable of having wi-fi

AT&T did not request anything about the tour because the tour is a CDMA blackberry at&T is a "GSM" network there variation of the tour is called the blackberry bold 9000.
    Ah, thanks! I've had incorrect info then. I'm sorted now.

No need to make "last post" declarations though. We're all adults here. I apologize for any confusion. See, wasn't that simple? I truly do appreciate the info.
    07-04-09 05:55 AM
    So, for clarifications sake, are you saying that the Tour from the jump was made not to have wifi capability? Meaning the hardware for it is not in the phone? Correct? This is a genuine question.
    I'm not sure if it wasn't there from the beginning, but I'm sure as soon as any CDMA carriers "claimed" the Tour, it was scrapped. So no, the hardware necessary is absolutely not in there.
    07-04-09 05:56 AM
    I appologize I just thought it was pretty clear haha
    07-04-09 05:57 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD