I've got a verizon storm and I'm going to Singapore this week. Can I (or do I even need to) unlock the phone so that I can buy a Sim card in Asia and use that one? I'm not sure if this has already been answered, it seems like people mainly unlock for tmobile and such, I'm not sure if its different for me though. I called verizon and they said they don't unlock phones. Thanks so much and sorry if this has been asked, I'm on my phone so searching is a bit cumbersome.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-09 05:03 PM
    Yes, you should call Verizon to unlock your Storm. You should call Global Support instead of the regular customer support line.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/how...k-code-101858/
    07-12-09 06:03 PM
    If you're not going for a long period of time, I would just opt for VZW's international calling plan and data plan. Any calls made might be on the pricey side, but the data plan is a flat rate.

I regularly travel to Asia for business, so my company covers the extra costs involved even though the charges are on my personal phone.

If you have been a good customer of VZW for a while they will unlock the phone. If you opt to just use their international plans, call VZW a couple days prior to leaving the country so they can ensure the SIM card that they provide with the phone is properly setup. They will also pro-rate the international data plan for the amount of time you actually use it. That is, if you go for 10 days they will only bill you for the international plan for those 10 days as long as you inform them when you leave and when you return.

Enjoy your trip.

07-12-09 06:05 PM
    Yes, you should call Verizon to unlock your Storm. You should call Global Support instead of the regular customer support line.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/how...k-code-101858/
    Thanks a lot for the direct answer, I called the general verizon wireless customer support number earlier and they abruptly told me it is against policy for them to unlock a phone. I will give the global support number a shot.

If you're not going for a long period of time, I would just opt for VZW's international calling plan and data plan. Any calls made might be on the pricey side, but the data plan is a flat rate.
    When you say the data plan is a flat rate, do you mean that the regular $30/month blackberry data plan covers outside of the U.S.? Or you have to purchase a separate international data plan? (if its covered with the standad plan, is there any way to use verizon data plan while using a prepaid international simcard for calls/texts?)
    07-12-09 07:03 PM
    The international data plan is $60 per month but that replaces whatever Blackberry data plan you currently have. It's a flat rate as in it's $60 for unlimited data.

Also, you cannot use the verizon data plan while using a prepaid SIM card. To reiterate, you'll text and make calls when the prepaid SIM is in the phone, but you'll have to physically remove that SIM and put the Vodaphone SIM (it's the one that came with the phone) back in in order to use the data.

And I had no trouble with verizon CS unlocking it for me, they just redirected me to the global support.
    Last edited by Dasle; 07-14-09 at 06:19 AM.
    07-13-09 01:01 PM
    Call the Global Support Number, I called when I was traveling to El Salvador and they unlocked. I told them that I was going to go out of the country and that I wanted to use my storm with another service providers SIM Card and they unlocked the phone for me, who ever told you that it was agaings policy, was wrong. In order for them to unlock the phone you must be a customer for 6 months or more and not have any past dues.
    07-13-09 02:48 PM
    Call the Global Support Number, I called when I was traveling to El Salvador and they unlocked. I told them that I was going to go out of the country and that I wanted to use my storm with another service providers SIM Card and they unlocked the phone for me, who ever told you that it was agaings policy, was wrong. In order for them to unlock the phone you must be a customer for 6 months or more and not have any past dues.
    I thought it was one month. Good to know as I've been spreading false information!
    07-14-09 06:19 AM
    Thanks for the help guys, I called Global Support the other day and they helped me to unlock without any hassle.
    07-14-09 04:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD