Any success stories of getting your bb unlocked, or have u gotten the unlock code from usc?

I tried in many occations and come up emty. They even credited my acct 50 dollars to go to a 3rd party to get the unlock code.

This really p*** me off bc I have a 8830, and the cust service guy told me to get a go sim from bestbuy and I could use the phone in Germany, but they forgot to tell me that the phone needs to be unlocked.

This is false advertising on USC part, the world edition has capabilities which they sell, but do not support

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-09 07:22 AM
    Any success stories of getting your bb unlocked, or have u gotten the unlock code from usc?

I tried in many occations and come up emty. They even credited my acct 50 dollars to go to a 3rd party to get the unlock code.

This really p*** me off bc I have a 8830, and the cust service guy told me to get a go sim from bestbuy and I could use the phone in Germany, but they forgot to tell me that the phone needs to be unlocked.

This is false advertising on USC part, the world edition has capabilities which they sell, but do not support

No, we don't support it, but there are instructions in the user's manual which tell you how to set it up. The catch is that US carriers use 850 and 1900 MHz and the European carriers use 900 and 1800. The 8830 is only set up to use the European frequencies. It's not that the phone is locked, you just can't use the GSM capability here in the States.
    (I wasn't aware you could just go into to your local electronics store and purchase a SIM card...)
    04-19-09 08:25 AM
    From a traveler perspective, I think its a false advertising thing and BS on usc part. They should pull the device from lineup

04-19-09 08:53 AM
    I don't think it is false advertising at all, just an unknowledged CS person telling you to get a US SIM card for use in Germany.

NONE of the docs say you can use the 8830's GSM in North America. I would assume you would want a European SIM card for use in Germany.
    04-19-09 10:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD