I wish I could run the storm 2 on the new telus network to HSPA. I thought my unlock storm 2 and buy a sim card from telus HSPA and insert.

The first person in customer service told me that it would work # 1, but a second person advise me to do for the security and risks that ca not work.

Can you advise me the above?

Can return on CDMA network if the unlock not working?

There are big difference between CDMA and HSPA ?

Thank you (scuse my english )
    12-04-09 06:21 PM
    Yes you can still use the phone on a CDMA network. As long as you have the 9550.

From what I have read, HSPA is just a different band than CDMA. I believe HSPA is a speed rating, whereas CDMA is a network type. THere are 2 netowkr types, GSM, and CDMA. GSM uses SIM cards, CDMA does not. Verizon have 1XEV (3G), and I think HSPA is similar, just a different frequency than the 1XEV network.

Someone correct me if I am wrong
    12-04-09 06:46 PM
    The web is it faster on hspa+ ?

Hspa have better reception ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-09 07:22 PM
    HSPA stands for high speed packet access, and currently offers the best browsing and download speeds. HSPA is even faster, but can only be utilized using the mobile USB modems.

In regards to the Storm2 on HSPA, it's currently only possible in Europe and any other place that has the network running on the 2100 band, as the storm2 carries only that band for UMTS. There is hope though: I've heard the new carriers coming to Canada early next year may offer HSPA networks on the elusive 2100 band. Nothing confirmed yet though.

12-04-09 07:34 PM
    I thought the S2 was UMTS/HSPA capable on the 2100mhz band..
    12-04-09 07:39 PM
    Telus have hspa with sim card and storm2 support hspa

12-04-09 07:43 PM
    nobody can help me ?
    12-07-09 12:46 PM
    I thought the S2 was UMTS/HSPA capable on the 2100mhz band..
    thats what he just said above you...
    12-07-09 01:29 PM
    nobody can help me ?
    Idifixcomm,

Your telus Blackberry Storm2 will not work on Telus HSPA network.
    The reason is that your Storm2 only works on a 2100mhz HSPA network and Telus only support 1900 and 850mhz bands.

2100 is only used in Europe for the moment.

If you unlcok the Storm it can work on Rogers regular GSM/EDGE network but not HSAP (same reason as telus)
    12-08-09 07:05 AM
    If you unlock your 9550 for Telus and get a sim card, it won't work on HSPA.
    There are some advantages of unlocking it and getting a sim card though.
    CDMA signal vs GSM signal in Toronto - GSM = Everywhere, CDMA = dead spots like basements, etc.
    1xEVDO vs 3G - 3G is faster than 1xEVDO and you can do data & voice at the same time. (Thanks AT&T commercial...LOL)

In my opinion, I would unlock it and use the Bell/Telus new 3G network. You won't get anywhere with HSPA because frequency won't work, but there are many more advantages of GSM over CDMA.

** EDIT - Sorry, I forgot. If you try to run data on Bell/Telus GSM network, you won't get 3G, you will only get EDGE which is way slower than 1xEVDO**
    12-08-09 08:52 AM
    Simply put it (the SIM card) will not work on Telus or Bell HSPA. It will work on Rogers / Fido GSM (After you unlock it).

Also if you plan on using CDMA on Telus or Bell then you better buy it from them as they will not let a CDMA phone that they did not sell on their CDMA network.

12-08-09 09:38 AM
    you will not get EDGE on Telus/Bell because they only support HSPA+ on their network. I'm thinking about getting one and unlocking it, and using it on the Rogers network, just not sure if i ca go back to EDGE only?
    12-08-09 01:27 PM
    When I get the Storm 2, I will unlock it right away, then I am free to use whoevers sim when i travel or just want to play around. I used my friends Rogers sim in my Strom 1 and it worked fin, noreason it wont work for the Storm 2
    12-08-09 02:05 PM
    Telus/Bell networks are different compared to Roger's. Let us know if you need it unlocked.
    12-08-09 08:24 PM
    3G is faster than 1xEVDO

** EDIT - Sorry, I forgot. If you try to run data on Bell/Telus GSM network, you won't get 3G, you will only get EDGE which is way slower than 1xEVDO**
    1XEVDO is Verizon's version of 3G. They are the same thing. If you notice on the S2, they added a 3G symbol so that people would stop asking if they are really on 3G or not.
    12-08-09 09:34 PM
    1XEVDO is Verizon's version of 3G. They are the same thing. If you notice on the S2, they added a 3G symbol so that people would stop asking if they are really on 3G or not.
    3G on a CDMA network (1XEVDO) cannot compare to 3G on a GSM network (HSPA). I tested the browsing speed on my Pearl Flip running on EDGE to my friend's Storm running on 3G, and my pearl loaded up the website faster (and we both cleared browser cache). CDMA is just slow...
    12-09-09 02:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD