Posted this in 8830 forum, but little activity going on there, so hopefully someone here knows this.

Going out of country.

Friend gave me a sprint 8830. Wanted to unlock it and purchase local sim card for use in foreign country.

Read in old 8830 post that sprint phones are unlocked to begin with. Does anyone know if this is true? If not, does anyone know of least expensive place to get unlock code, and where/what menu item i need to go to to unlock phone.

Thanks.
    12-11-09 04:34 PM
    If its sprint it may already be unlocked...

To determine if your BlackBerry is "unlocked" follow these steps.

1. On your BlackBerry, go to Options > Advanced Options > Sim Card.

2. At that screen type MEPD (see note below) on your keyboard. A new menu will pop up.

* If your BlackBerry has a SureType keyboard (71xx and 81xx devices) you will need to
    double-tap the P, so the actual keys entered become M E P D.

3. Look for Network in the list.

4. If your device is "unlocked", it should say Disabled or Inactive. If it says Active, it's still locked to that carrier.

Images of Locked Device

Images of Unlocked Device
    Last edited by dave3825us; 12-11-09 at 06:11 PM.
    12-11-09 06:08 PM
    If it isn't unlocked, check the BB unlocking forum. There are several unlockers in there who will be able to get you an unlock code.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-09 07:01 PM
    thanks. I does say its locked, 1st screen! Sorry to be ignorant, but I am not seeing an unlock forum on crackberry (have been here for 2 years). Is this a specific forum, or just a thread. Again, great help!
    12-12-09 11:22 AM
    thanks. I does say its locked, 1st screen! Sorry to be ignorant, but I am not seeing an unlock forum on crackberry (have been here for 2 years). Is this a specific forum, or just a thread. Again, great help!
    I moved your post to the Unlocking Forum for you.
    12-12-09 11:37 AM
    We can help you unlock it if you need help
    12-12-09 11:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD