Good afternoon all. As I am sitting here waiting for the David Ortiz press conference I am debating weather or not to unlock my bb bold. I am new to bb coming from an iphone and am wondering what the advantages to an unlocked bb are. So I ask for your opinions.

Thanks,

Rob
    08-08-09 11:18 AM
    Portability from one vendor to another. If you travel abroad, you can pick up a local, pre-paid SIM for less expensive local calling.

It's a constant with me: When I buy a phone from my carrier, first stop is to get it unlocked.

The other reason to unlock it: Increases resale value if you switch phones quite often.
    08-08-09 11:26 AM
    Where can I get the unlock codes and are they free. Should I also follow the tutorial I saw on youtube?

Thanks for the help!
    08-08-09 11:28 AM
    You can contact your carrier - assuming that you bought your phone through your wireless provider - and tell them that you will be traveling to another continent and need to be able to use a local SIM. That may work, depending on your carrier's policy and your history with your carrier.

You may also "buy" a code from an unlocking service: this is the path that I took with my Bold. It was $15.00 and I had the code within 24 hours - and it worked flawlessly.

So a search on CrackBerry for suppliers who will perform this service. I used:
    Blackberry instant remote unlocking server by bb-server.eu all blackberry series unlocking
    for my Bold un-locking.

Good luck.
    08-08-09 11:32 AM
    I also purchased a code, because AT&T wouldn't give me one.

I used cellunlock.net and they even have a coupon for 50% off for crackberry members! crackb50

I'm the same as you I have both the iPhone and my Bold. I unlocked the bold for travel purposes and when I decide to sell it in the future.
    08-08-09 11:50 AM
    BB is unlocked. I called AT&T and they gave me the code with no questions asked. I followed a video found on youtube and now have an unlocked bb. Now what??
    08-08-09 12:39 PM
    BB is unlocked. I called AT&T and they gave me the code with no questions asked.
    Wow! You're lucky! Im struggling with them.. lol
    08-08-09 12:50 PM
    Now what??
    Nothing. It just allows you to use another carrier's sim card and phone service. Nothing more.
    08-08-09 01:05 PM
    Wow! You're lucky! Im struggling with them.. lol
    I told them I was leaving the country on an emergency and needed to us a local sim card and the guy was more than helpful. Try that??
    08-08-09 01:08 PM
    They wouldn't help me because I'm not the original owner. Even though the phone was purchased un-subsidized. I just went with the pay service. It was only 7 bucks with the coupon.
    08-08-09 01:12 PM
    That's all an unlocked phone does... You can go to another country with a gsm network and use their pre paid sim cards to make local/international phone calls there. Whenever I go to europe/asia to visit family before I had a bb, I had an unlocked phone and was able to use it in europe and asia.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-09 01:15 PM
    Nothing. It just allows you to use another carrier's sim card and phone service. Nothing more.

I was thinking of getting one unlocked so I can use it with my T-mobile account. Does anyone know if the phone will function normally or will some features be unavailable? Thanks for the help!
    08-08-09 01:33 PM
    I was thinking of getting one unlocked so I can use it with my T-mobile account. Does anyone know if the phone will function normally or will some features be unavailable? Thanks for the help!

The phone will function but you will not have any BB data plan associated with the T-Mobile SIM - just phone and text.
    08-08-09 04:22 PM
    Where does one buy prepaid SIM cards/ do you get a certain amount of minutes or how do they work??
    08-08-09 04:52 PM
    You can get them at any company store - T-Mobile, AT&T - at least down here in south Jersey.
    08-08-09 05:25 PM
    Where does one buy prepaid SIM cards/ do you get a certain amount of minutes or how do they work??
    A prepaid sim card is pretty much a calling card. But this time its a sim card you put in your phone instead of using a land line. You pay for the sim card and along with it is a code you have to scratch off to activate the sim card. You get like 100-200 min for like 5-10 dollars overseas.

08-08-09 06:15 PM
    If you unlocked it for T-Mo, wouldn't you be able to use EDGE if you had the right plan?

08-08-09 06:18 PM
    If you unlocked it for T-Mo, wouldn't you be able to use EDGE if you had the right plan?

This is what I thought as well.....that as long as you have a blackberry plan through t-mobile the phone should work fine. Hmmmmm.....and I see there is a sticky that explains the process to go through to get it to work properly through t-mobile. So I guess it IS possible?
    08-08-09 07:06 PM
    I told them I was leaving the country on an emergency and needed to us a local sim card and the guy was more than helpful. Try that??
    I'm not telling you to lie or anything, but I mentioned that I was active duty (I'm in the Air Force) and they sent me the unlock code right away.

I'm just sayin'...
    08-08-09 07:18 PM
    I'm not telling you to lie or anything, but I mentioned that I was active duty (I'm in the Air Force) and they sent me the unlock code right away.

I'm just sayin'...
    Of course you got the code quickly, we love our troops !

If you've been with AT&T for a long time, they'll just give it to you NQA. Same with a SIM card.

08-09-09 03:32 PM
    As I am sitting here waiting for the David Ortiz press conference I am debating weather or not to unlock my bb bold.

The simple answer to the 'first question': look at his record after taking 'supplements'

The answer to 'real' question: unlocking gives flexibility to change carriers, especially when doing travel. There are no negatives.
    08-09-09 04:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD