so i have seen this question in the forums quite often and my main question that was never really answered even when i searched the forums was what are the true pros to unlocking the phone like when you unlock the phone what is so specail that you can do on it vs. when it is not unlocked besides use it outside the country. maybe this is a dumb question because i am new to blackberries, but it would help me out. thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-09 07:12 AM
    so i have seen this question in the forums quite often and my main question that was never really answered even when i searched the forums was what are the true pros to unlocking the phone like when you unlock the phone what is so specail that you can do on it vs. when it is not unlocked besides use it outside the country. maybe this is a dumb question because i am new to blackberries, but it would help me out. thanks!

Unlocking allows you to use a phone on any carrier instead of being locked to just one. For example you could use a sprint phone on verizon's network as long as the phone is unlocked.
    07-01-09 07:19 AM
    you can use any sim you want in it
    07-01-09 07:21 AM
    Unlocking allows you to use a phone on any carrier instead of being locked to just one. For example you could use a sprint phone on verizon's network as long as the phone is unlocked.
    not true. if the esn isnt in vzws database it wont work. that is how i understand it anyways
    07-01-09 07:22 AM
    so basically if i already have verizon and want to use it on verizon there's no point to unlocking it unless i'm leaving the country?

Last edited by sarah82593; 07-01-09 at 07:27 AM.
    07-01-09 07:23 AM
    so basically if i already have verizon and want to use it on verizon there's no point to unlocking it unless i'm leaving the country?

correct. with cdma phones you cannot easily switch from sprint to vzw or vice versa. last i looked into it you had to hack the phone with bitpim or something. dont think you can do that with a berry. not sure.
    07-01-09 07:34 AM
    not true. if the esn isnt in vzws database it wont work. that is how i understand it anyways
    Sorry I used bad examples. You are correct with regards to cdma carriers.

07-01-09 07:41 AM
    You can also get more $ for an unlocked device if you ever sell it (i.e., Ebay or Craigslist).
    07-01-09 07:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD