does anyone know how to unlock my 8830
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 07-24-09 at 08:49 AM. Reason: removed personal info
    07-24-09 07:07 AM
    I have removed the personal information you posted, only the company providing the unlock code should have access to that.

Unlocking requires access to databases of information. There are numerous companys that will provide that information,for a fee.
    07-24-09 08:52 AM
    I know that when I installed OS 4.5.0.253 on my 8830 it did unlock the device.
    07-31-09 11:50 AM
    I know that when I installed OS 4.5.0.253 on my 8830 it did unlock the device.
    New members may see this and think that is possible.

The device OS software does not interact with the locking software. Can't be done.
    07-31-09 01:44 PM
    Hi Reed, I did installe the new OS, and I was ready to deal with Cellunlock, so I inserted a Sim, and the security was disabled. I sent an e-mail to the rep at cellunlock and he told me not to spend my money that it was unlock. So if you could direct me to a tread where I could verifie this I would appreciate.

Regards.
    08-04-09 08:03 AM
    I am glad you brought this up, got me thinking now.

You are using a 8830 World Edition. That BlackBerry was built for both CDMA and GSM networks. The idea being, when out of North America, you can install a local SIM card for service.

It makes sense from this perspective, the GSM is not locked in the first place.

If we have any 8830 owners reading, they can verify this by:

On your BlackBerry, go to Options > Advanced Options > Sim Card.

At that screen type MEPD on your keyboard. A new menu will pop up.

Look for Network in the list.

If your device is "unlocked", it should say Disabled or Inactive. If it says Active, it's still locked to that carrier.
    08-04-09 10:27 AM
    Thank you for the quick reply, it does say disable at network, using a T-mobile sim from UK. I have also contacted CellUnlock and they told me that it was unlocked. Like I said before I have purchase the unlock code for my STORM but only for this one. I never had the unlock code for the 8830. suddenly after the OS update from Telus the phone is unlock, but only abroad like you say not in North America. I hope this could help any BB users.

Cheers!
    08-05-09 08:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD