My friend was given a blackberry bold after the person was contacted and never came to get it.

How can she unlock it?
    Last edited by Kacey45; 04-26-10 at 07:48 PM.
    04-26-10 07:38 PM
    How about you return it to AT&T so they can return it to the owner.
    04-26-10 07:42 PM
    The owner was contacted and they never came to pick it up.
    04-26-10 07:44 PM
    novel idea
    04-26-10 07:44 PM
    What service does she have? If no one came to get it, too bad for them.
    04-26-10 07:46 PM
    What service does she have? If no one came to get it, too bad for them.
    I'm pretty sure it's US Cellular. That's my thought, they never came and got it so too bad for them.

She just wants to unlock it for any carrier.
    04-26-10 07:51 PM
    I thought US Cellular was CDMA. No?
    04-26-10 07:53 PM
    I thought US Cellular was CDMA. No?
    What CDMA?

She just wants to unlock it for any carrier. If she cannot use her carrier she will just switch carriers.
    04-26-10 07:59 PM
    Us cellular does not carry the bold.. The bold is gsm..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-10 08:08 PM
    US Cellular is a CDMA carrier. Device that are CDMA-only (which the device likely is) cannot be unlocked "for any carrier". Also, devices which can be unlocked (GSM devices) cannot be used on CMDA carriers such as US Cellular.

A BlackBerry Bold cannot be used on US Cellular.

The RIGHT THING TO DO is to take it to the carrier for which is is branded and give it to them.
    04-26-10 08:09 PM
    US Cellular is a CDMA carrier. Device that are CDMA-only (which the device likely is) cannot be unlocked "for any carrier". Also, devices which can be unlocked (GSM devices) cannot be used on CMDA carriers such as US Cellular.

A BlackBerry Bold cannot be used on US Cellular.

The RIGHT THING TO DO is to take it to the carrier for which is is branded and give it to them.
    I understand that would be the right thing to do but honestly if you were contacted to get your phone and never did then it's your loss.
    04-26-10 08:37 PM
    I understand that would be the right thing to do but honestly if you were contacted to get your phone and never did then it's your loss.
    How ironic that YOU used the word "honestly". An honest person would not
    try to keep someone else's phone. On Crackberry, that sort of person is
    looked on as a dishonest thief.

It is not always "finder's keeper's" in the adult world.

(Oh, and the original reason I came in this thread was to explain to you that
    Blackberrys do not need to be jailbroken like the iPhones.)
    04-26-10 08:47 PM
    What you are failing to grasp is that the original owner most likely filed an insurance claim, so the carrier and/or the insurance company is on the hook for that financial liability. The device belongs to them and should be returned.
    04-26-10 09:13 PM
    I doubt you're going to unlock it with a CDMA carrier and its probably been blacklisted anyways.
    04-26-10 09:45 PM
    I doubt you're going to unlock it with a CDMA carrier and its probably been blacklisted anyways.
    bingo. so, it will not work if you try to use it. the phone should have the carrier logo on it. drop it off at a local store.
    04-26-10 11:18 PM
    If you guys are going to get down on anyone being dishonest, you should make it your personal quest to find the owner of the lost phone and turn him in for fraud! And while your at it track down every person that purposely damaged or submerged they're phone so they could get a new one. Jeez I didn't know I logged onto Mother Teresas' forum!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-10 12:45 AM
    Okay just to clean things up, I assume two things: that the OP means the Tour, and that he returned it to US Cellular but they said since the owner failed to claim it. That said, yes you can unlock it for GSM and use it on whatever provider.
    04-27-10 04:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD