hello, i am new to blackberry phones

I bought a blackberry curve 8900 and my SIM card is working fine...
    But i wanted to know if the phone was originally unlocked or it was illegally unlocked. Here in my country a lot of blackberries r being unlocked just by sending to any cell phones shop and in u get it back unlocked for 70$

I want to update the firmware of the phone and i am affraid if than will lock my phone and i will need to unlock it again?

I hope i was able to explain myself correctly, any help is really appreciated
    11-19-09 11:59 AM
    hello, i am new to blackberry phones

I bought a blackberry curve 8900 and my SIM card is working fine...
    But i wanted to know if the phone was originally unlocked or it was illegally unlocked. Here in my country a lot of blackberries r being unlocked just by sending to any cell phones shop and in u get it back unlocked for 70$

I want to update the firmware of the phone and i am affraid if than will lock my phone and i will need to unlock it again?

I hope i was able to explain myself correctly, any help is really appreciated
    Hi. Welcome to Crackberry.

If someone pays to unlock a phone, it will not be relocked by updating the OS.
    11-19-09 12:15 PM
    unfortunately i was not able to know how the phone was unlocked
    but there is no dealer or representer for blackberry in my country

so the shop is being paid without really knowing how the phone is unlocked

i dunno if that helps, but on the back of the phone it is written vodafone
    and there was a brochure in the box where it was written the vodafone.de web site

i checked the web site and contacted the customer support and after many emails they asked for my pin and told me that it is not registered in their database
    11-19-09 12:28 PM
    Go to Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card. While in the screen type MEPD. Please reply back with what you got. This will help determine how your BlackBerry was unlocked. For everything else, please e-mail me and I'll see if I can help. My e-mail is shinkodachi@gmail.com.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-09 12:35 PM
    unfortunately i was not able to know how the phone was unlocked
    but there is no dealer or representer for blackberry in my country

so the shop is being paid without really knowing how the phone is unlocked

i dunno if that helps, but on the back of the phone it is written vodafone
    and there was a brochure in the box where it was written the vodafone.de web site

i checked the web site and contacted the customer support and after many emails they asked for my pin and told me that it is not registered in their database
    It should be okay. Vodafone would only have your PIN on their system if it had ever been activated on someone's Voda account.

If you've already put your Blackberry on your Alfa account, that means your PIN is on their system... you can check with your carrier.
    11-19-09 12:43 PM
    ...but it's still an open question whether anything illegal was involved.
    11-19-09 01:03 PM
    Go to Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card. While in the screen type MEPD. Please reply back with what you got. This will help determine how your BlackBerry was unlocked. For everything else, please e-mail me and I'll see if I can help. My e-mail is.

Posted from my CrackBerry at
    I got all disabled (SIM, Network, Network subset, service provider, corporate)
    11-19-09 01:23 PM
    ...but it's still an open question whether anything illegal was involved.
    European countries do not have a ban on unlocking phones.
    11-19-09 01:32 PM
    This means that the unlock was done more or less "officially". I've seen some temporal unlocks, which work well till the firmware is reloaded. In those cases the Network still shows Active and not Disabled like in your case (which is a good thing).

Are you worried if the BlackBerry is stolen?
    11-19-09 01:36 PM
    European countries do not have a ban on unlocking phones.
    I don't mean that. I mean if the BlackBerry was stolen. The OP said there is no "representer/dealer" for BlackBerry products in his country. From where they got their BlackBerry is something I don't know, but could be possibly through illegal paths. Just saying...
    11-19-09 01:37 PM
    That is true but the OP is already using the BB, so the PIN is not blocked.
    11-19-09 02:05 PM
    This means that the unlock was done more or less "officially". I've seen some temporal unlocks, which work well till the firmware is reloaded. In those cases the Network still shows Active and not Disabled like in your case (which is a good thing).

Are you worried if the BlackBerry is stolen?
    no i am worried that if i upgrade the firmware it will be locked and i will have to unlock it, take to a shop for 3-4 days and pay like 70$
    11-19-09 02:34 PM
    i don't know if that makes a difference but i am not subscribed to any data plan...
    my operator doesn't have the blackberry service yet
    11-19-09 02:38 PM
    It should not lock again. There are other unlockers here on Crackberry who can probably confirm this.
    11-19-09 03:11 PM
    Unlocking a phone is like breaking a safety seal...no matter what, it will never glue itself back again.
    11-19-09 05:44 PM
    doing OS upgrades will NOT relock a phone. you are fine. it is also not illegal to have it unlocked.
    11-19-09 09:13 PM
    Let us know if you need it unlocked, more than happy to help.
    11-23-09 05:19 PM
    Let us know if you need it unlocked, more than happy to help.
    Boy.. I always touched to know people so loving to help others, expecially without concerning material reward.
    Hope this beautiful planet earth becoming full of people like you, sooner or later..
    11-23-09 09:17 PM
    Boy.. I always touched to know people so loving to help others, expecially without concerning material reward.
    Hope this beautiful planet earth becoming full of people like you, sooner or later..
    LOOOOOOOOL

thx guys for the help... there was a problem in my bb
    i had to reload the OS so i downloaded the latest one
    and the phone did not lock, thank god
    thx again for replying to the topic appreciate it
    11-24-09 03:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD