Is there anyway to unlock the GPS on my BB 8330 from Verizon?
    05-19-09 04:50 AM
    Go to the forums main page, scroll down to GPS and mapping. Look for A Real Fix for Broken GPS Guide. That worked for my Telus Curve.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-09 05:39 AM
    I'm running OS v4.5.0.131 and BBMaps and the new Google Mobile app with my location work.

The GPS on Beyond411 doesn't work though.

05-19-09 05:48 AM
    Just checking: Are your GPS Services set to E911 only or Location On?
    Options-Advanced Options-GPS

05-19-09 05:54 AM
    Won't work on Verizon.
    05-19-09 05:55 AM
    Just checking: Are your GPS Services set to E911 only or Location On?
    Options-Advanced Options-GPS

Location On
    05-19-09 05:58 AM
    Is there anyway to unlock the GPS on my BB 8330 from Verizon?
    You could downgrade to .131 and see if that will work for you, if not you could go back to .138.
    05-19-09 06:02 AM
    VZW has the gps locked for everything but BlackBerry maps and VZ navigator, which you would have to pay for that service. It sucks but that's the way it is. Google maps will show location based on tower triangulation and for me that usualy is good enough. I would love the ability to use third party apps for gps tracings of my hiking excursions but for now I can deal with it.

FyrGuy176

05-19-09 08:10 AM
    So still no GPS on VZW other than BBMaps and VZnav?
    06-24-09 08:43 PM
    Yep. That's correct on the 8330.
    06-24-09 08:59 PM
    Google doesn't actually work on tower triangulation, it uses the tower you are currently accessing and then gives you a circle based on that towers range, you could be anywhere in that circle. You might be 10 feet or 4000 meters from that tower. I do sometimes get a gps sat lock using google maps but its hit or miss at best.

06-24-09 09:10 PM
    BB Maps is your only real bet. Google doesn't cut it for reason mentioned. The hack mentioned has been tried by myself and others and will not unlock the GPS for third party apps.
    06-24-09 09:13 PM
    Wonder why 3rd party apps work on the Storm using the GPS but Verizon will not let it work with the Curve. I installed the latest BerryWeather and on there website it says the the GPS location only will work on Verizon if you have the Storm and will not work on the Curve because of the Verizon restriction. This just isn't right unless it's a limitation of the hardware.
    07-04-09 08:36 PM
    It's just a business decision that Verizon has chosen to make.
    07-04-09 09:01 PM
    Wonder why 3rd party apps work on the Storm using the GPS but Verizon will not let it work with the Curve. I installed the latest BerryWeather and on there website it says the the GPS location only will work on Verizon if you have the Storm and will not work on the Curve because of the Verizon restriction. This just isn't right unless it's a limitation of the hardware.
    This is because the storm can use autonomous mode (GPS only) and does not need a aGPS data server connection. This is what VZW is blocking access to by use of a user name and password key
    07-04-09 11:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD