Hello,

My friend gave me his corporate VZW blackberry after having reported it as lost to his company. Any idea if I can unlock it to use in Grenada? I got the phone from the states.

For those of you who might get angry, he actually thought he lost it during moving only to find it months later.

Thanks,

Bongo
    01-12-11 02:23 PM
    If it was reported as lost or stolen, then the pin has probable been lock and you will not be able to use it for data (I.e., email, web browsing, IMing).
    01-12-11 03:18 PM
    I thought that was only within the states. If he wants to use it outside of US, like Grenada, I dont see would it not work. It is my understanding that they block/blacklist the ESN number of the phones lost/stolen and not the PIN.

Pay $20 to online sites, get it unlocked and use it. That would be my guess.
    01-12-11 04:19 PM
    This is fraud.
    Fit24 likes this.
    01-12-11 05:23 PM
    This is fraud.
    Thanks for enlighting us. While I dont disagree with your discovery, if what OP has said is right, that the claim was filed months ago, I dont know if insurance company would still require the phone set to be sent back to them. But the ethical thing would be to *NOT* activate the phone. However again, how many ppl live like pandits.
    01-12-11 06:16 PM
    I reported my 2009 Honda Civic missing two months ago, and the today the insurance company is giving me a check. I'll give you my "stolen" Honda today if you want.

Same thing, and while we all can't be honest, moral people, we certainly don't have to help or in any assist these idiots.
    01-13-11 04:44 PM
    I thought that was only within the states. If he wants to use it outside of US, like Grenada, I dont see would it not work. It is my understanding that they block/blacklist the ESN number of the phones lost/stolen and not the PIN.

Pay $20 to online sites, get it unlocked and use it. That would be my guess.
    Wrong.

ALL BlackBerry devices go over the BlackBerry data network (see little BB icon next to '3G' when a device is attached to the BlackBerry network).

So in summary,

1. This is fraud (first-time poster...)
    2. No it won't work - anywhere. It will be a glorified phone with no data or email capabilities until the ESN and PIN is/are clean.
    01-13-11 11:38 PM
    If it was reported as lost or stolen, then the pin has probable been lock and you will not be able to use it for data (I.e., email, web browsing, IMing).
    And, if it was set up for corporate use, there may also be other issues besides just "unlocking" it for phone use. Depending on the company's IT systems and policies, there are probably some specific setups to access e-mail through a BES account, and maybe some other specialized software for intranet access or other company-specific functions installed.

The real problem, as I see it, is that the phone really didn't "belong" to the friend, so s/he didn't really have the right to "give" it to someone else. It was company property, possibly with company information and communications stored on it. The fact that the company probably made an insurance claim and replaced the phone...FOR THEIR EMPLOYEE'S USE...doesn't change the fact that it is still company property, so should be returned.
    01-14-11 12:43 AM
    Actually the best place to get this info is from your local police station, they deal with these sorts of things all the time and will be more than happy to assist you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-11 12:48 AM
    I reported my 2009 Honda Civic missing two months ago, and the today the insurance company is giving me a check. I'll give you my "stolen" Honda today if you want.

Same thing, and while we all can't be honest, moral people, we certainly don't have to help or in any assist these idiots.
    A few years ago, I had my car stolen. After two months, and no clue as to what had happened to it, my insurer acknowledged it as an unrecoverable loss, and I went to the insurance office to pick up the check.

That very night, my doorbell rang. The young man at the door introduced himself, explained that he had noticed a car parked in front of his house for about a week, and had reported it to the police because he feared it might be stolen, since it was a decent-looking car and had no damage except to the steering column. Since the police hadn't yet followed up, he wanted to see if HE could find the owner of the car, so it wouldn't just sit on the street and get stripped. He found the car door unlocked, so he looked in the glove compartment and found my vehicle registration with my name and address. He offered me a ride back to check out my car...said, as far as he could tell, there was no damage besides the stripping of the steering column and the removal of the car's battery.

He seemed sincere, but I declined the ride, and told him I'd get back with him the following day after getting his name, address, and phone. Found my car exactly as he described the next day...called my insurance company and told them I'd return the check, since I'd rather have the car! (It was already paid off, and I could never have replaced it with anything of that quality with the amount of the insurance settlement payment). Though the young man declined any reward, I insisted, since it was mid-December, that he use my little token of appreciation to brighten up the holidays for himself, wife, and young son.

Sure... I could have reclaimed my car, paid for the small repair myself, and kept the check too. But had I not called the police and my insurer to report that the car had been found, it would have remained in the data base of stolen vehicles. I wouldn't be able to get insurance reinstated, or get a vehicle registration renewal. Why have something that you can't fully use, legally? Dishonesty doesn't really benefit anyone in the long run.
    01-14-11 01:11 AM
    Actually the best place to get this info is from your local police station, they deal with these sorts of things all the time and will be more than happy to assist you.
    They even have a special offer for a limited time only!

Attempt to fraudulently activate something that's not yours now, and get a bonus matching pair of gleaming bracelets tomorrow.

Hurry, act now!

Quantities are limited, so act now to secure your space in the winners' lounge. Hurry, there's an endless stream of your fellow pillars of society racing you there.
    01-14-11 01:12 AM
    No you can't use it... The ESN goes on a list and it doesn't matter how long its been it will be flagged and you can't activate it not to mention as everybody else has already stated its just wrong.
    01-14-11 01:28 AM

Sure... I could have reclaimed my car, paid for the small repair myself, and kept the check too.
    Once you cashed the check the ownership of the car would have legally been the insurance company. I have saw cars recovered months or even years after the insurance company paid that always go to the insurance company. It is legally theirs as they have paid you for it. Cashing the check is a settlement.
    01-14-11 06:55 AM
    First I would be very concerned about this "friend" of yours that claimed it lost only to give it to you. Not much integrity there and I would be concerned with they type of friendship you have. Second, he did commit fraud by giving it to you and that act also changes the phone from being "lost" to stolen and that makes you part of the issue since you received stolen goods. If this makes you a little nervous then good, if not then I have to doubt whether your "friend" exists at all or if he ever really lost this phone. Either way the phone, if the origianl owner actually realizes it's missing, has become a brick. Personally I wouldn't have accepted a phone from any friend under these circumstances and would have suggested that he return the phone to his company as a recovered item. The story is suspicious at best but I don't think you will find many on here willing to help you with this problem. Turn it in to the local police unless of course there's more to the story...
    01-14-11 12:45 PM
    Take it to Grenada and have someone over try and unlock it or go to ebay and buy an unlock code

01-15-11 05:00 AM
    Take it to Grenada and have someone over try and unlock it or go to ebay and buy an unlock code

Wow, way to try and promote fraud here.

To the OP...give it back to your friend and insist he return it to the company that issued it to him. It is not worth the trouble it is going to cause you or him for a dang phone. If you can't afford to buy one, you clearly don't need one.
    01-15-11 10:15 AM
    Wrong.

ALL BlackBerry devices go over the BlackBerry data network (see little BB icon next to '3G' when a device is attached to the BlackBerry network).

So in summary,

1. This is fraud (first-time poster...)
    2. No it won't work - anywhere. It will be a glorified phone with no data or email capabilities until the ESN and PIN is/are clean.
    Point number 2 is not correct. It will only not authenticate on RIMs server if the ESN was blocked on the carrier that processed the insurance claim. You bring that phone outside of US, after being unlocked it will work.

That little BB secure connection icon WILL show up if you pop in an international SIM, connect to international carrier and then connect to the RIM. I dont know if RIM servers in the US are used worldwide.

As for OP, I like it how everyone is giving their opinions and best guesses. OP, the ethical thing is NOT to use the phone, BUT you can always call insurance company and ask them what would they want with the phone ? If they say throw it away in the dumpster, then post it here and im sure there will be a debate about how to throw it, where to throw it and the rituals associated with throwing the blasted phone.
    01-16-11 10:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD