I see a lot of posts about unlock codes, what are they and what does unlocking a Storm 2 do for the user?
    11-21-09 04:03 PM
    I see a lot of posts about unlock codes, what are they and what does unlocking a Storm 2 do for the user?
    Unlocking allows you to use the Storm2 with other carriers (GSM-based) around the world or even in the US.

However, if you use a different US-based carrier, you will not get 3G (at least with ATT, I think the same with T-Mo, but I'm not sure) only edge speeds.

Unlock codes can be gotten from either Verizon (for free after 3 months of having a device, but if you have a good history with them, they will waive this) or from a third-party (for a price, but no hassle, and it's instant).

If you plan on staying with Verizon and not traveling outside the US, then unlocking won't do much of anything unless you decide to sell your device (you can use the unlocked state as a selling point)
    11-21-09 04:18 PM
    Unlocking allows you to use the Storm2 with other carriers (GSM-based) around the world or even in the US.

However, if you use a different US-based carrier, you will not get 3G (at least with ATT, I think the same with T-Mo, but I'm not sure) only edge speeds.

Unlock codes can be gotten from either Verizon (for free after 3 months of having a device, but if you have a good history with them, they will waive this) or from a third-party (for a price, but no hassle, and it's instant).

If you plan on staying with Verizon and not traveling outside the US, then unlocking won't do much of anything unless you decide to sell your device (you can use the unlocked state as a selling point)
    Thanks, great understandable reply.
    11-21-09 04:31 PM
    Yup gotta love using other carriers hassle-free. Let us know if you choose to free your device
    11-23-09 04:54 PM
    Unlocking Benefits
    To unlock your BlackBerry Storm 2 all you need to do is type in a manufacturer-authorized subsidy code that we send to you.

The benefits of unlocking your BlackBerry Storm 2 include:
    Reduces costs on calls and SMS messages by changing the SIM to lower priced networks or local networks when traveling
    Increases resale value by making your phone compatible with more networks
    Adds functionality by allowing your mobile phone to accommodate two SIM cards so you don't have to physically switch from one to another. A cell phone with dual SIM cards is excellent for those who frequently travel abroad or who want to separate work and leisure calls.

Unlocking is a one-time event. It works for the life of the phone. There is no need to install any software or upgrade your handsets software.
    11-24-09 08:25 AM
    I just had global support unlock mine today. Easilest thing ever! Didnt ask me a thing. Just came on the phone, he repeated back what I asked the first rep and walked me through it with the code for mine... very nice!
    11-24-09 11:55 AM
    Will the unlocking procedure work ONLY while abroad, or can I use my AT&T SIM from work in my Storm 2 and get down to carrying just ONE device instead of two after doing this?

Thanks in advance!
    11-24-09 09:23 PM
    Yup u can do both.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-09 09:26 PM
    Yup u can do both.

That is almost a dream come true... are there any drawbacks to this? My main concern is incoming calls - I won't have to select which line to give priority to or anything right?

Thanks for the prompt reply!
    11-24-09 09:39 PM
    Only one can be active at a time sorry. Not like back in the day.

11-24-09 09:49 PM
    I just had global support unlock mine today. Easilest thing ever! Didnt ask me a thing. Just came on the phone, he repeated back what I asked the first rep and walked me through it with the code for mine... very nice!
    Great! That's why it's always best to try with your carrier if not then we are always here to help.
    11-25-09 07:33 PM
    I have read that a device must be "active" on my account for them to give me an unlock code. So, if I have the original storm (inactive) and I want to unlock it, can't I just do an online device swap via myvzw and make it "active" for a few minutes while I call and get the unlock code? Then, when I am done with that, put my Storm 2 back on my account and unlock that one too?

I mean, I don't want to take my "active" storm 2 overseas when I could take my original one over there instead...
    12-01-09 08:38 PM
    I have read that a device must be "active" on my account for them to give me an unlock code. So, if I have the original storm (inactive) and I want to unlock it, can't I just do an online device swap via myvzw and make it "active" for a few minutes while I call and get the unlock code? Then, when I am done with that, put my Storm 2 back on my account and unlock that one too?

I mean, I don't want to take my "active" storm 2 overseas when I could take my original one over there instead...
    That can work, only way to know is to try it
    12-01-09 08:39 PM
    Its worth a shot if not let us know.

12-01-09 08:40 PM
    Here is the scoop...

I called them up and told them that I was being sent out of the country for work and that work was supplying me a SIM card.

Response: "no problem"

Walked me through the options menu, then entered the MEP "secret" code followed by the unlock code...

It was literally that simple and putting in my AT&T card now to see if I could realistically come down to carrying just one phone now for work and personal...

12-01-09 09:36 PM
    Forgot to mention... Unlock ONLY the phone you really want to unlock for "free" on VZW...

Verizon will only unlock ONE handset per line every 10 months. So... the theory I had about putting my original Storm as the "active" phone first, calling them to unlock it and then putting my Storm 2 back on the account will NOT work! Of course, if something is "wrong" with the phone and it must be replaced, I am certain they must have to give you the new unlock code for the new phone!

To the techies... Can someone PM me the name of the program that will allow me to get into this thing, read the SPC and use it to unlock my original storm?
    12-01-09 09:41 PM
    To the techies... Can someone PM me the name of the program that will allow me to get into this thing, read the SPC and use it to unlock my original storm?
    Can anyone help on this?

Thanks!
    12-02-09 06:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD